2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
What has he done?

He is paying Chris Volstad $18M.

He let all of the free agents walk.

He traded for a guy that hit lower than Adam Dunn, granted in a small sample size that may be blocked by another prospect. If he is going to rebuild, move the almighty Marmol and leave Cashner to close which is what SD is going to do with him.

They traded a decent prospect for a below average 3B that struggles to hit in Coors sans one year.

He traded a very good set up man for a potential #5 starter and a smaller Ryan Theriot.

I actually think KW has done a better job at rebuilding than Theo has which I know on this site is blasphemy. The cubs could be epically bad this year if they move Garza.

I think some of the statement in this post had been heavily skewed to make Theo seem like a bad executive. Not a big fan of him, but he has build a dynasty if not a series of successful teams in Boston, and their farm system is among the best in baseball while he was there. If I have to choose a GM to run my team, Theo would get the pick over KW 15 times out of 10.

He is very clear in what he wants to do. He wants to tear the team down and rebuild, and that's what he's doing so far.

He is paying Volstad $15.5 million in fact, but at least he traded away a team cancer who doesn't fit in the direction the team is going. If you are rebuilding the team, would you want a competitive, crazed, immature nut head like Zambrano on your team? Theo mentioned that he doesn't trust Zambrano being a good citizen while the team is rebuilding.

He let all his free agents walk, but would you bring back Aramis and Pena at the cost that they are worth given the team is not going to compete the next couple of years? It's clear that the team won't compete with these two. Been there, done that.

I like how used Rizzo's stats from a brief stint at the majors to discredit what seems to be a heck of a steal for the Cubs. Rizzo was actually the number one prospect in the Padres farm a couple months ago by Baseball America. He projects to be a middle of the order hitter and the Cubs got him for an often injured reliever.

I will be fair and say that the Rockies trade wasn't a good value one for the Cubs at the moment. But Casey Weathers is a project for them, and he was the 8th overall pick in the 07 draft with a plus fastball and recovering from a TJ. He still has the stuff to pan out as their closer.

He did trade a very good reliever for a, mind you, mid rotation pitcher. Wood had a bad year, but he was very good in this first year, and his minor league track record suggests he will be good mid rotation pitcher. And Sappelt has been a heck of a contact hitter in his minor league career. If we can trade Matt Thorton for a mid rotation pitcher and a solid hitting CF prospect with no strikeout issues (something we been striking out on), then I am all for it.

Theo and Jed has been making some not spectacular but solid moves to rebuild the team. They and their fans are very clear in what direction the team is going. It wouldn't be too long until the Cubs are relevant again.

Cubs win b/c they got rid a big headache for them in Zambrano. Zambrano could lose in this if he acts up on the Marlins. If he cannot be held in control by friend and fellow countryman Ozzie Guillen, then no team will take Zambrano on their team and the Marlins won't resign in 2013 and beyond. However, I think that Guillen can keep him in check. I think. lol.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 12:27 AM)
Cubs win b/c they got rid a big headache for them in Zambrano. Zambrano could lose in this if he acts up on the Marlins. If he cannot be held in control by friend and fellow countryman Ozzie Guillen, then no team will take Zambrano on their team and the Marlins won't resign in 2013 and beyond. However, I think that Guillen can keep him in check. I think. lol.

I think Ozzie and Zambrano will be fine until the first time Zambrano questions an Ozzie decision. Then it will all break loose. So....maybe a month? haha

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Read that the Cubs maybe on the verge of sending Soriano and money to Baltimore for Brian Roberts. But it is Phil Rogers suggesting it so take it for what its worth.

Not sure how much Roberts has left (I don't pay any attention to the Orioles), but if Theo and Ricketts have proven one thing this offseason, it's that they will eat money now to build for later.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
Not sure how much Roberts has left (I don't pay any attention to the Orioles), but if Theo and Ricketts have proven one thing this offseason, it's that they will eat money now to build for later.

Roberts is 34. I seriously doubt that he'd be helping them much by the time they're competing again.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)

To answer your question, in the last 2 years, Roberts has 439 PA's, he has $20 million remaining on his deal, and last year he hit .221 with a .604 OPS.

Last time he was healthy was 2009 and he still put up an >.800 OPS, so if he could stay healthy for a year or two he'd be a good gamble for a team that wants to try to make a run next year...but that isn't the Cubs.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Sounds like they may as well keep Soriano and hope for the best. At least he'll hit his 20 or so homers and drive in around 75 runs.

There is a motivation to get this done...Soriano could still be productive as an AL DH, but he's just not $19 million productive. If the Cubs ate enough of his deal to make him an affordable DH option, they ought to be able to realize some salary savings.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Read that the Cubs maybe on the verge of sending Soriano and money to Baltimore for Brian Roberts. But it is Phil Rogers suggesting it so take it for what its worth.

Feels like Brian Roberts has been headed to the Cubs for years now.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Zambrano is super-sensitive and Ozzie loves to push buttons. Sooner or later they will collide.

If Zambrano wants to continue pitching, he better play nice in Miami. If he has more outbursts playing for Ozzie and doesn't perform, his career is over. Of course, he did retire last year for a few minutes. Maybe he wouldn't care.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Sounds like they may as well keep Soriano and hope for the best. At least he'll hit his 20 or so homers and drive in around 75 runs.

Sounds like Joe Crede or Juan Uribe numbers.

It (bringing in Soriano) was also kind of the Sox theory with Josh Fields. Stick him in LF and we'll live with his defensive deficiencies, as long as he hits. But we already have Dunn/Viciedo and we don't need another RH hitter, so no go.

Above all else, Soriano is one of the most selfish hitters around. You don't want him serving as any type of example to the younger players. It's bad enough we have Rios on our team, we don't need another player like that. Quentin himself really wasn't much of a "team hitter" for the last 3 years, got way way too pull happy and flying open on every pitch.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
That blowhard Kaplan just said Cubs and Tigers getting close to a deal on Garza.

If the Cubs can get Jacob Turner and Nick Castellanos it would be a done deal for me. I'd probably do it for Turner and filler. Jacob Turner is exactly the type of stud young pitcher the Cubs should want in return.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
That blowhard Kaplan just said Cubs and Tigers getting close to a deal on Garza.

Good. Hopefully that leads Kenny to trading off more pieces himself. No more of this rebuilding while contending garbage.