2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
They were never going to not put Volstad in the rotation and look like they gave up Zambrano for nothing.

The minion wanted Zambrano gone at any cost. Volstad doing nothing is irrelevant as the minion are happy Z is gone.

Marshall was given away it appears for nothing. There is no way to spin that the Marshall deal was not a complete failure.

So you would trade Nestor Molina for Travis Wood?

I wonder how long the free ride will last with Theo.

Edited by Harry Chappas

Cubs lose yay!

Hey, I'm trying to jump on the Sox @ Cubs May series early, what does everyone recommend as far as seating section @ Wrigley?

Trying to get some tix off StubHub not looking to spend a fortune but have a nice view? Can anyone help me out?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
Funnier still when you think that while the Cubs have not, two other Chicago teams have played in Wrigley while reigning as champions: The Bears and your Chicago White Sox. Its a shame the Winter Classic there wasn't in 2011.

The 'Hawks did win a title prior to playing in Wrigley; and since the Cubs won in '08.

The 2011 Cubs are probably better than the 2012 Cubs. Unless the Cubs have some upcoming young talent, they are screwed for awhile. And their stadium is broken, thus they have to take a year away from it to renovate it in the near future.

Dempster is their ace? Garza is decent I will admit and probably their best starter. The rest of the rotation includes a converted reliever and two guys Malholm and Volstad who went a combined 11-27 last season.

Going to enjoy watching the Cubs this year. And they still have that goofball Soriano...their clean up hitter.

Maybe this is the Cubs plan. Suck really bad now and try to get the sucking out of the way. Take the hit now. Trade anything of value for young players and get anything off the books that they can.

Might work in the long run. But considering how long they have been waiting for a championship..they are going to have longer.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Maybe this is the Cubs plan. Suck really bad now and try to get the sucking out of the way. Take the hit now. Trade anything of value for young players and get anything off the books that they can.

Might work in the long run. But considering how long they have been waiting for a championship..they are going to have longer.

What other plan can you have when you have multiple bad contracts, an old team, and a spent farm system?

They, quite deliberately, did everything they could to try to win in the 2007-2009 period and also get the team sold. That included mortgaging the next several years.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
Cubs lose yay!

Hey, I'm trying to jump on the Sox @ Cubs May series early, what does everyone recommend as far as seating section @ Wrigley?

Trying to get some tix off StubHub not looking to spend a fortune but have a nice view? Can anyone help me out?

The 400 level is a solid view, not sure how cheap they will be. If you go for 200 level tickets, I wouldn't go further than like 10-12 rows back, cause then you get stuck under the overhang and possibly behind a large support beam.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 07:32 AM)
The 400 level is a solid view, not sure how cheap they will be. If you go for 200 level tickets, I wouldn't go further than like 10-12 rows back, cause then you get stuck under the overhang and possibly behind a large support beam.

Thanks !

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Perhaps a more disheartening start to the season than the White Sox last year with Pierre/Thornton blown saves.

Eh, not really, since the Sox actually had high expectations last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
And no one at Wrigley cares if they lose anyway.

While partly true there are plenty of folks around that are coming to realize just how bad that team is. There is almost no hope there for even a casual watching of a baseball game unless you really like to watch Starlin Castro.

The fact that they could be 2-0 if Marshall was not traded for a AAA pitcher is not helping. Why trade Marshall and not Marmol?

Also if you look at the state of the Red Sox right now you realize Theo and Jed were about to be unemployed and the cubs came to the rescue.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
While partly true there are plenty of folks around that are coming to realize just how bad that team is. There is almost no hope there for even a casual watching of a baseball game unless you really like to watch Starlin Castro.

The fact that they could be 2-0 if Marshall was not traded for a AAA pitcher is not helping. Why trade Marshall and not Marmol?

Also if you look at the state of the Red Sox right now you realize Theo and Jed were about to be unemployed and the cubs came to the rescue.

I'm not so sure about that, the Red Sox were the best team in baseball for 4 1/2 months last season.

Take away the complete collapse, and Epstein is a boy wonder again.

But you're right, Cherington's in the same seat that Theo was headed for, and just like Ozzie, he probably saw the writing on the wall and got out at the best time for him personally.

The core players on that team are aging (Youkilis and Ortiz), they have the horrible Lackey contract, as well as Dice-K still on the books, and they're going to have a horrible time with that bullpen until Bard gets moved back, which then opens up a gaping hole in the rotation. And Beckett just doesn't have the same dominating level of stuff he used to have, it's not unlike what we're seeing now out of Ubaldo Jimenez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
Hoyer was in San Diego.

Yep and was about to be fired for a GM that had successfully rebuilt a team with a youth movement.

I think what he cubs did was fine but when the media had Theo literally walking on water and does not vet the former situation at all other than to say he is the mastermind of the Red Sox and left to take a better job they are wrong.

My point is, after looking at the roster in reality fans are now beginning to whistle a different tune.

The more than have to watch Marmol fail and Marshall close for the Reds the harder it becomes. I know this could all change in the blink of an eye but the cub fans are being asked to ignore baseball for at least two year, not sure that is a good idea.

Who will melt down more today, Tiger Woods or Carlos Zambrano?

Ooops, former Cub, does that count for this thread?

And that trade the Padres masterminded for Matt Latos was an absolute steal....would be no suprise if Volquez alone does better that Matt out there in that huge park. The other 3 prospects are all going to be key building blocks, particularly Yonder Alonso.