2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
The Cubs/Rahm's plan to renovate Wrigley may not get far off the ground. Apparently the county and state need to sign off on it and Quinn has already said the state is in over it's head and he would oppose it.

"Sign off on it" or "Chip in"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
"Sign off on it" or "Chip in"?

Wrigley Field Renovations: Gov. Pat Quinn 'Not Excited' About Cubs Renovations Plans

"Well I'm not excited about [the renovations] at all. Our State has severe fiscal challenges so the very idea of the State of Illinois spending millions and millions of dollars on Wrigley Field, I don't think that's in the cards at all. [The Ricketts family] bought the team and they should make the lion's share of the investment to fix up the park."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
The Cubs/Rahm's plan to renovate Wrigley may not get far off the ground. Apparently the county and state need to sign off on it and Quinn has already said the state is in over it's head and he would oppose it.

I'm impressed with how quickly Theo & the Ricketts got Rahm into their pocket regarding the renovations.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
All they had to say was "Elk Grove" or "Arlington Heights" and Rahms ears were open.

I dunno, you'd figure Rahm would be savvy enough to call a bluff like that. I think the scoreboard would have to topple over and kill the bleacherites for the Cubs to ever leave Wrigley.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
I dunno, you'd figure Rahm would be savvy enough to call a bluff like that. I think the scoreboard would have to topple over and kill the bleacherites for the Cubs to ever leave Wrigley.

I think it is more likely he is looking for legacy type things to further his political career, and getting remembered as the guy who fixed Wrigley is probably an attractive one for him.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
All they had to say was "Elk Grove" or "Arlington Heights" and Rahms ears were open.

You bring this up all the time, and it has never made sense. Leaving Wrigleyville would be an abject disaster for the Cubs. Rahm knows this, and would simply laugh at such a bluff.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
You bring this up all the time, and it has never made sense. Leaving Wrigleyville would be an abject disaster for the Cubs. Rahm knows this, and would simply laugh at such a bluff.

Such a huge portion of the Cubs value is tied up in Wrigley. Take the Cubs out of there, and they become any other MLB franchise.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Quinn is just delaying the inevitable IMO. Just get it over with

If Quinn plays hardball, he's at least got a decent shot of getting a better deal from the team. The clock on the ballpark's structure is literally ticking, the Ricketts will only be able to hold out for so long before it actually becomes uninhabitable, and as noted, the Ricketts literally cannot credibly threaten to move to a new facility or to another city because it destroys their franchise.

The Cubs are certain to get one of those big new TV contracts eventually. Quinn might as well make sure some of that money goes into a new stadium.

Im not saying he needs to fold, but it doesnt even seem like he is negotiating. He just seems like he keeps saying "nope, not gonna happen on my watch"

We know the Wrigley "aura" is a money machine. If Quinn wants the state to start making more money on it, he needs to start getting into the negotiations a little bit more

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Im not saying he needs to fold, but it doesnt even seem like he is negotiating. He just seems like he keeps saying "nope, not gonna happen on my watch"

We know the Wrigley "aura" is a money machine. If Quinn wants the state to start making more money on it, he needs to start getting into the negotiations a little bit more

What extra money is there to be made on Wrigley by the State of Illinois? The place is at capacity pretty much every single night.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)

And it will still be a money machine. Even if the Cubs have to spend 10 years renovating the place part by part, it will still be a money machine. The Cubs have zero leverage here - they aren't leaving that neighborhood (except perhaps for a season if they do a gut rehab of the place).

And Quinn is already being pounded for not doing enough to get IL out of its deep fiscal hole. He isn't going to just hand over money to the Cubs - not going to happen. At most, they will work out a bond deal, or ISFA will take over management and get revenue in exchange for bond money up front. But no taxpayer dollars will go to this, I'd almost guarantee it.

Also, probably irrelevant but worth noting... Quinn and Madigan are both Sox fans.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Cubs are singling Zack Greinke to death today

It's just one of those starts for Greinke. He has one of these every once in a while. I remember when the Sox did this to him in 08.

Mayor has ‘Fenway Plan’ for Wrigley to maximize potential

More outfield signage behind the Wrigley Field bleachers, possibly including a Jumbotron in right field. Street closings on Sheffield and Waveland every game day to make way for money-making street fairs.

Sponsored “gateway” archways that welcome people to “Wrigleyville: Home of the Cubs” from various directions. More concerts and football games at Wrigley along with a stadium club, restaurant and several thousand premium-priced seats.

Determined to renovate 98-year-old Wrigley without overburdening taxpayers, sources said Mayor Rahm Emanuel is pushing a plan to relax the ballpark’s landmark status and allow the Cubs to wring as much as $150 million in advertising and sponsorship revenues out of the stadium and surrounding streets.

-------

The laundry list of ideas being kicked around by the Cubs and City Hall does not currently include more night games beyond the current 30 but could at some point to generate even more revenue, sources said.

Dennis Culloton, a spokesman for Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts, noted that Tunney has been included in recent briefings on the plan.

-------

Two days before the Cubs’ home opener, Emanuel said he was in the “final stages” of negotiating a Wrigley deal.

He also telegraphed his plan to help the team squeeze more revenue out of Wrigley — by demanding that the Cubs invest their own money in the stadium instead of pumping $200 million into construction of the triangle building.

Sources said the final deal is still likely to include a variation of the financing scheme that Emanuel once called a “non-starter” — forfeiting 35 years’ worth of amusement tax growth.

But, the city would get a minimum annual guarantee that would rise every year — an attractive proposition after amusement tax revenues plunged along with Cubs attendance in 2011. If amusement tax growth exceeds the amount needed to retire stadium bonds, the city would get a share of that money.