2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Measures like UZR are nearly useless this time of year, the sample size just isn't big enough yet.

UZR has always liked Soriano out in left field. I don't understand the fascination. Apparently, his range isn't as bad as we thought and his arm is one of the best in baseball. Beats me.

Wow, it shouldn't be surprising but it kind of is. I still have the Trib Sports section for his 20K game. I'm glad he managed to remain in the game and see success at times, even if it was only in a relief role. I wonder if he slides into whatever job it is the Cubs had lined up for him right away. Between the losing, poor performance, and glove tossing, this 2012 farewell tour of his ended about as gracefully as Gheorghe Muresan figure skating. Taking the time away to forget about it and distance yourself from it would be a good idea.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Seeing some Cub fans on FB and Twitter call Wood GREAT is making me nauseous.

Here's a funny one. "Bummer. Woody was on of my favorite Cubbies for many years. I wish he could have stayed healthy along with Prior. We could have won atleast one championship". :lol:

QUOTE (Brian @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
Seeing some Cub fans on FB and Twitter call Wood GREAT is making me nauseous.

I wouldn't call him great. Just someone people romanticize because what might have been without his arm problems.

I'll always remember watching that 20 strikeout game. Also there haven't been many beloved Cubs players in recent years.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 18, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
The outpouring of love for this guy is crazy to me. All for a very average pitcher.

He's a likable person. I don't know who I would compare him to on the Sox- maybe Rowand or Crede? Aside from the little caveat that he won with the Sox, Crede's career was shaped by injuries as well. For a miserable franchise like the Cubs, the 20 K game and the promising path his career was taking early on was one of the few things they had to look forward to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
I heard someone say that the Cubs should retire his number. :unsure:

In that case we should retire Alex Fernandez's number, since his career stats compare favorably to Wood's.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
The outpouring of love for this guy is crazy to me. All for a very average pitcher.

When Wood was healthy, he was a 3-4 win pitcher. So yeah, I'd say he's a little better than average.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 18, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)

Honestly I had zero issue with how it went down today, I thought it was appropriate and fitting. The guy was a pretty good pitcher when healthy, injuries killed him, he was a fan favorite, and some good memories there. Having him take his last pitches and get his last time in the sun was fine. It wasn't something over the top like a pregame ceremony or anything.

Average due to overall results, sure. But I heard something today that he has the highest k/9 besides Randy Johnson in history. Not sure if that's correct, but that's not average. We all know how it played out. But saying "average pitcher" is a bit false.

Wood was a good guy, loyal to the Cubs, turned down other teams to keep playing there, etc. What is not to like if your a Cubs fan? As Sox fans we have a negative perception due to the hype that surrounded him and hearing about him constantly from Cubs fans, but so what, at the end of his career Sox have a ring and the Cubs dont.

Compare him to Prior or half the other douches that team has had, its easy to see why fans are canonizing him. Even how he acted with his kid, just seemed like a nice guy.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
Honestly I had zero issue with how it went down today, I thought it was appropriate and fitting. The guy was a pretty good pitcher when healthy, injuries killed him, he was a fan favorite, and some good memories there. Having him take his last pitches and get his last time in the sun was fine. It wasn't something over the top like a pregame ceremony or anything.

Average due to overall results, sure. But I heard something today that he has the highest k/9 besides Randy Johnson in history. Not sure if that's correct, but that's not average. We all know how it played out. But saying "average pitcher" is a bit false.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=0&sort=8,d

He has the third most for a starting pitcher, with Mark Prior being second given FanGraphs' definition of qualified. I guess it depends on what you say is "qualified". If qualification means 1000 innings, then yeah, Wood is second. If it's 2000, he's not.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 18, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)

Yeah, I didn't like it at first, but the more I thought about it, he did deserve it. That K/9 stat is incredible and he did pass up lots of money to stay in Chicago the last few years. It is pretty Cub-like though to honor a guy with 85 career wins who choked in the biggest game in Cubs history.

Plus, the moment with his son coming out of the dugout was pretty awesome.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...=0&sort=8,d

He has the third most for a starting pitcher, with Mark Prior being second given FanGraphs' definition of qualified. I guess it depends on what you say is "qualified". If qualification means 1000 innings, then yeah, Wood is second. If it's 2000, he's not.

Thank you Dusty Baker for ruining those arms & preventing a Cubs world championship.

The Cubs acquired minor league catcher Koyie Hill from Cincinnati on Saturday for cash considerations.

Hill will be available for tonight's game.

The Cubs are also bringing up Randy Wells from Triple-A Iowa to be available out of the bullpen.

Hill, the former Cubs catcher, was purchased to share the catching position with Welington Castillo while Geovany Soto rehabs from knee surgery. He was hitting .195 at Double-A Pensacola, after signing a minor league contract with the Reds. Blake Lalli remains on the roster for now

Transactions