2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

Jon Garland in 8 years with Sox was 92-81 with a 4.41 ERA.

Kerry Wood in 12 years with Cubs was 80-68 with a 3.67 ERA

adjust for league factor in the ERA, and they are not a whole lot different.

Wood struck out 20. Garland won a world series.

Crazy how differently the two pitchers had been perceived. I can't imagine #20 will be retired by the sox anytime soon

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 19, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Jon Garland in 8 years with Sox was 92-81 with a 4.41 ERA.

Kerry Wood in 12 years with Cubs was 80-68 with a 3.67 ERA

adjust for league factor in the ERA, and they are not a whole lot different.

Wood struck out 20. Garland won a world series.

Crazy how differently the two pitchers had been perceived. I can't imagine #20 will be retired by the sox anytime soon

Garland wasn't a fan favorite. Garland didn't have half of the pure stuff Wood had. Garland didn't come back to the organization he loved for his final stop. Garland didn't win us a world series, he was part of it. Kerry struck out 20 by himself.

That's the reason he's getting attention, and his retirement is a big deal in Chicago. I think people are taking the attention to mean he's one of the greatest pitchers of all time, which I don't believe anyone is claiming (correct me if I'm wrong). Most people are actually talking about how he'll be remembered a lot for what he "could have been" which is a fair point.

Im not gonna rip retiring Wood's number. Hell, the Sox retired Harold Baines number BEFORE HE EVEN RETIRED. And Baines is no Hall of Famer either, just a beloved member of the Sox.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Garland wasn't a fan favorite. Garland didn't have half of the pure stuff Wood had. Garland didn't come back to the organization he loved for his final stop. Garland didn't win us a world series, he was part of it. Kerry struck out 20 by himself.

That's the reason he's getting attention, and his retirement is a big deal in Chicago. I think people are taking the attention to mean he's one of the greatest pitchers of all time, which I don't believe anyone is claiming (correct me if I'm wrong). Most people are actually talking about how he'll be remembered a lot for what he "could have been" which is a fair point.

So people love this guy because he underperformed for his career?

Once again, I just don't understand the absolute love affair with this guy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 19, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
So people love this guy because he underperformed for his career?

Once again, I just don't understand the absolute love affair with this guy.

Probably has more to do with the way he handled himself and behaved off the field with charity work and such.

Telander said he also represented something Cubs' fans have always identified with....

Unrealized potential, what if's, the idea of the talent never living up to the hype or ending up with disappointment yet remembering fondly the hope that once sprung...

1969, 1971, 1984, 1989, 2003, etc.

Santo not making it into the HOF while he was alive is yet another example.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 22, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)
With Rizzo about be recalled. In what planet was Andrew Cashner for Anthony Rizzo a good deal. Why the hell do teams simply give the cubs good players?

When the assistant GM comes from said team.

The Cubs have a really really bad baseball team.

I just can't imagine how they will fill that ballpark all summer.

I know people go to Cubs games for reasons other than baseball, but still. It's a pathetic team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)

I know people go to Cubs games for reasons other than baseball, but still. It's a pathetic team.

I'll go because tickets right now are under 5 bucks and drinking in the sun is fun.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
I'll go because tickets right now are under 5 bucks and drinking in the sun is fun.

yep! and after getting sloppy on 8 dollar old styles i like to waltz my happy ass down to lucky's and devour some of the best samwhiches I've ever had in my life.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)

They aren't filling it consistently now. They sold out only 1 of 3 against the Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
They aren't filling it consistently now. They sold out only 1 of 3 against the Sox.

Tues the 29th has almost 4,000 tickets available on stubhub starting at 6 bucks.

For comparison's sake lets take thursday's sox game at home against Minny: 827 tickets left starting at $16

They have over 2k tickets available for every game in the schedule I am looking at, we never get to 2,000 available.

I think that's mostly due to people who have been on the season-ticket waiting list finally getting their chance to buy tickets. They are buying them now and trying to get rid of them so they will be around if/when Theo makes good on his promise in 3-5 years.

The Sox don't have that many available simply because our season ticket base is smaller.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)

So, on ESPN 1000 in the past two days, I've heard:

1) Harry Teinowitz muttering about Hawk pointing out the empty seats "over and over" (Monday)

2) Bruce Levine blamed the empty seats on Sox fans not buying enough tickets to the "Crosstown" games (Monday)

3) And the first hour of Waddle & Silvy on Tuesday taking calls from listeners who don't go to games but follow the team on tv, radio, internet, etc. because tickets are too expensive and the team stinks.

Aren't those Sox fan arguments?

By the way, $140 for a bleacher seat for their premium games? That's crazy. http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventIn...ts-HotTix-Games

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I think that's mostly due to people who have been on the season-ticket waiting list finally getting their chance to buy tickets. They are buying them now and trying to get rid of them so they will be around if/when Theo makes good on his promise in 3-5 years.

The Sox don't have that many available simply because our season ticket base is smaller.

Those are mostly brokers, and they cant unload them at all. 5 bucks will buy you a lower level seat at Wrigley. When was the last time that was the case?