2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
the cubs having a guest during the 7th inning really needs to end. the guests they get sometimes..i dont know who it was today, he was a chef i guess, he said he didnt know a thing about baseball. they had to just talk about food since he knew nothing lol

Sounds like about 40% of all cub fans.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 30, 2012 -> 02:37 AM)
They said they wouldn't let the goat onto the field... isn't that what got them "cursed" in the 1st place??

It's a dumb legend because that happened in 1945. That doesn't account for the 37 years prior to that.

They haven't won since before they moved into Wrigley.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ May 29, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
What percentage of fans who attend at least one baseball game in the greater Chicago area are Cubs fans? 75%? 80%? More?

Probably. Other than the POTUS, it seems like every adult transplant to Chicago automatically becomes a Cubs fan because of Wrigley

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
I think they saw something about Rizzo last year they really didn't like.

I think they also really like Yonder Alonso's ability to crush line drives into the gaps of their excessively large stadium. He is also extremely awful at left field, so he has to play first base.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't get why the Padres don't just move the fences in already. No free agent will want to sign there, and no one will want to watch the games.

The Padres hands have been tied for a while now since the ownership situation was in flux. They stripped the payroll to bare bones and havent been able to do much at all. I bet we start to see some changes when the owners are established.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
The Padres hands have been tied for a while now since the ownership situation was in flux. They stripped the payroll to bare bones and havent been able to do much at all. I bet we start to see some changes when the owners are established.

The problem is that could take a while.

According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Cubs are telling teams that "nearly everyone but starter Jeff Samardzija is available."

Some names on that list you've heard before: Matt Garza, Ryan Dempster, Carlos Marmol and Alfonso Soriano, amongst others. Apparently club president Theo Epstein is open to moving Starlin Castro as well. Castro "can be obtained for two impact prospects," according to Nightengale. Bryan LaHair could provide pop for a contender. Trading him would open the door for top prospect Anthony Rizzo. Epstein has never shown an aversion for taking risks, so this situation warrants monitoring. On August 1, Chicago's roster may look nothing like it does today.

USA Today

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 31, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
According to USA Today's Bob Nightengale, the Cubs are telling teams that "nearly everyone but starter Jeff Samardzija is available."

Some names on that list you've heard before: Matt Garza, Ryan Dempster, Carlos Marmol and Alfonso Soriano, amongst others. Apparently club president Theo Epstein is open to moving Starlin Castro as well. Castro "can be obtained for two impact prospects," according to Nightengale. Bryan LaHair could provide pop for a contender. Trading him would open the door for top prospect Anthony Rizzo. Epstein has never shown an aversion for taking risks, so this situation warrants monitoring. On August 1, Chicago's roster may look nothing like it does today.

USA Today

Bob Nightengale should receive a Pulitzer for that scoop, groundbreaking stuff there.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
That would be a mass suicidal event if Castro is traded. They built him up so much last season, he could go on to become their next Lou Brock.

I agree with that.......................makes no sense to me to trade Castro.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
That would be a mass suicidal event if Castro is traded. They built him up so much last season, he could go on to become their next Lou Brock.

That would be so fun to watch. :lolhitting