2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
Yeah, that's a really nice move for the Cubs. Dempster was useless to them, and they could quite easily get him back in a few months. Delgado's stock has fallen a little, but he is still a sexy arm.

can we trade peavy :/

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cubs, Dodgers Discussing Garza For Zach Lee Swap

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 23, 2012 at 2:07pm CST]

The Cubs agreed to trade Ryan Dempster to Atlanta earlier today, and they aren't done dealing yet. The Cubs and Dodgers are discussing a trade that would send Matt Garza to Los Angeles for a package of players including highly-regarded pitching prospect Zach Lee, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network reports (on Twitter).

mlbrumors

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
Would 1-5 this week do it for you?

my opinion is that this team has to many holes to contend in the postseason and were probably going to lose him as a free agent. the sox are in the race though so they cant trade anyone and i fully understand that

>just mentioned it because with so many teams in the race with the second wild card, its a sellers market as you can tell, u can get a lot , for pitching especially because everyone nneds it

Edited by Melissa1334

i wanted the sox to get shields but the rays would want more for him than what the cubs are asking for garza, i would assume, and it looks like it might cost the dodgers the #35 prospect in the game in zach lee, no way we could compete with that

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Awful trade by the Braves.

No, not an awful trade for them. Braves are FLUSH with young pitchers. They get a legitimate ace this season (albiet for only 2+ months) for "one of" their top pitching prospects. They still have Minor, Teheran, Vizciano, Beachy, and even Gilmartin. Braves are still set up to be a pitching powerhouse.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
No, not an awful trade for them. Braves are FLUSH with young pitchers. They get a legitimate ace this season (albiet for only 2+ months) for "one of" their top pitching prospects. They still have Minor, Teheran, Vizciano, Beachy, and even Gilmartin. Braves are still set up to be a pitching powerhouse.

Vizcaino and Beachy are both coming off Tommy John. Minor is awful. And Gilmartin isn't considered a top prospect.

And no, Dempster is NOT an ace.

Kevin Goldstein ‏@Kevin_Goldstein

Source indicates the Dempster to ATL deal is NOT done. Don't know if that's a real hold up, or just waiting for MLB to sign off on the $$$.

Dempster Foundation ‏@RyanDempsterFDN

THERE IS NO TRADE dont know where this info came from!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Vizcaino and Beachy are both coming off Tommy John. Minor is awful. And Gilmartin isn't considered a top prospect.

And no, Dempster is NOT an ace.

LOL. Well then agree to disagree on ALL of that then.

And I didn't say Gilmartin was a top prospect (even though he is like their #3 guy now), but that doesn't mean he doesn't figure in to their future rotation.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
LOL. Well then agree to disagree on ALL of that then.

And I didn't say Gilmartin was a top prospect (even though he is like their #3 guy now), but that doesn't mean he doesn't figure in to their future rotation.

How can you disagree with any of it? Vizcaino, who is a reliever for them, is coming off TJ, as is Beachy. Those are facts. Mike Minor is GOD AWFUL. Look at his numbers, then watch him throw 90 mph fastballs straight as an arrow. Teheran, however, will be a stud.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
How can you disagree with any of it? Vizcaino, who is a reliever for them, is coming off TJ, as is Beachy. Those are facts. Mike Minor is GOD AWFUL. Look at his numbers, then watch him throw 90 mph fastballs straight as an arrow. Teheran, however, will be a stud.

After being a starter all through the minors, the Braves have no plan to stretch Vizcaino back in to a starter? If you say so, I honestly don't know, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Beachy (and Viz) having TJS doesn't mean a whole lot. There is a lot of precedent for players doing great things after TJS. Ask that dude in Washington's rotation how he is doing.

Mike Minor is certainly not god awful, not even GOD AWFUL, with all caps. His stock has fallen, but he could still very well be a #3-#4 type guy. Hell, his real problems right now is the HR ball, something he never had a problem with in the minors. He isn't a lost cause. I would love to have Minor in our system.

So yeah, I disagree.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm talking about this season, which is all that matters to the Braves.

And there is no guarantee that his numbers don't regress back to the mean. His xFIP is over a run and a half higher than his ERA and his HR rate is down like 25%.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm talking about this season, which is all that matters to the Braves.

i still wouldnt count on him to beat cain, hamels, halladay, kershaw, etc when they face off