2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
Dempster isn't making any fans with all of this. And his Harry Caray sucks, too.

In the front office maybe. But fans eat this stuff up. "OMG He wants to stay a cub for life!"

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Who is saying that?

nobody specifically, but the next time Dempster pitches in Wrigley as a Cub, do you think he gets booed or a standing ovation?

Should he stay, of course

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
What in the hell??

"Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiCubs

Blow by blow on the Demp meltdown after he was pulled: Threw down the cooler lid, threw the cooler, threw his sports drink against the wall."

he only threw 93 pitches..maybe thats why?

i think his last 2 starts are more of an indicator of what your going to get out of dempster. 6ip,3er or so. not an ace

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
nice bluff.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

As of now, Cubs' plan is to keep Dempster and make qualifying offer to get a draft pick -- unless offers improve. Not close to LAD deal yet.

And he will continue to take the $12.5M the cubs will have to pay him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
And he will continue to take the $12.5M the cubs will have to pay him.

The money is one thing, but ultimately he's costing them a chance at getting a legitimate pitching prospect. Even if he ends up at LAD there's no way they are going to get top value since they've lost so much leverage.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
If I'm a Cubs fan, I'd hate Ryan Dempster right now.

Trading a rental for a guy like Randall Delgado is a complete steal.

Yep.................He looked so Cubbish with his tirade today!

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
I would hate to be a fan of the team that is competing for a playoff spot, so the GM obliges Theo & Friends and gives anything of worth up for Ryan f***ing Dempster.

How do you not think Ryan Dempster is a very solid starter? He's a #3 type guy who is pitching like an ace this year.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
How do you not think Ryan Dempster is a very solid starter? He's a #3 type guy who is pitching like an ace this year.

#3 starters aren't worth prospects like Randall Delgado.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
If I'm a Cubs fan, I'd hate Ryan Dempster right now.

Trading a rental for a guy like Randall Delgado is a complete steal.

Especially since he originally said he would go to Atlanta. He earned the right to veto trades, but to just change your mind that late in the game sucks.

And Garza had the minor tricep injury vs. STL, now he went home for the birth of his child and might not start before the trade deadline, which limits his trade value. This was supposed to be an exciting trade deadline for Cubs fans, but may turn into a dud.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Especially since he originally said he would go to Atlanta. He earned the right to veto trades, but to just change your mind that late in the game sucks.

And Garza had the minor tricep injury vs. STL, now he went home for the birth of his child and might not start before the trade deadline, which limits his trade value. This was supposed to be an exciting trade deadline for Cubs fans, but may turn into a dud.

Excuse me while i LMFAO.

Cubs offerred Dempster for Alan Webster and Dodgers said "no." Say LAD may prefer Garza, but at this point they're not willing to trade a whole bunch.

Cubs will end of moving pieces, but it looks more and more like the haul they expected for some of their vets isn't going to happen, poor them.

In tweets recently Heyman has also said there is seemingly little to zero market for Soriano.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...to-prefer-garza

There's the theory that the Cubs and Braves will revisit that trade and that the Cubs will throw in $1-2-3 million as a bribe to get Dempster to leave for the Braves so they can get Delgado.

He's in a precarious place though...if he really wanted to come back to Chicago after a trade, this is not the way to go about doing it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
There's the theory that the Cubs and Braves will revisit that trade and that the Cubs will throw in $1-2-3 million as a bribe to get Dempster to leave for the Braves so they can get Delgado.

He's in a precarious place though...if he really wanted to come back to Chicago after a trade, this is not the way to go about doing it.

That's not allowed, is it? You can't just offer players bonuses in the middle of the season, can you? Once you have a contract negotiated, that's it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
That's not allowed, is it? You can't just offer players bonuses in the middle of the season, can you? Once you have a contract negotiated, that's it.

I'm not sure why...I saw this idea floated in a story somewhere, that leaving Delgado on the table would result in Epstein and Hoyer doing something creative with Ricketts' money to force that deal through and avoid them having egg on their faces.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
I'm not sure why...I saw this idea floated in a story somewhere, that leaving Delgado on the table would result in Epstein and Hoyer doing something creative with Ricketts' money to force that deal through and avoid them having egg on their faces.

Gotcha. I just don't see how money helps, since Dempster gets paid the same no matter what and he doesn't care where it comes from. He just wants to be in a Dodgers or Cubs uniform come August 1st.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

yea joel sherman wrote that:

One executive wondered if the Cubs might offer Dempster $1MM to go to Atlanta if the Braves are willing to surrender considerably more than the Dodgers, Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes (Twitter links). Someone like Randall Delgado might be worth enough to make up for the one-time cost of $1MM.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
yea joel sherman wrote that:

One executive wondered if the Cubs might offer Dempster $1MM to go to Atlanta if the Braves are willing to surrender considerably more than the Dodgers, Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes (Twitter links). Someone like Randall Delgado might be worth enough to make up for the one-time cost of $1MM.

I just don't see how that could be legal, it could set a dangerous precedent.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Right. But he said "anything", which means he thinks Ryan "f***ing" Dempster is a worthless player.

Anything of worth. I wouldn't be opposed to giving them a Stewart/Lillibridge-esque package.

I don't think Dempster is great to begin with. Throw him in the AL on a team with realistic playoff hopes and how does he react? His free agency push has been made- I don't think teams will necessarily hold it against him if he stumbles in the last two months of the season after being traded from a team that he's been with for the past eight years. His playoff history isn't exactly sparkling either. Two appearances (the first being 1 IP in relief), 0-1, 6.35 era.

The trade deadline approaches, and they're having a bit of a tough time moving him. They have nothing to gain by keeping him.

I'm not saying it definitely wouldn't work out, just that I'm having difficulty envisioning Ryan Dempster being the piece that pushes the Sox over the top. He does do a Harry Caray impression, though- if you've ever watched a Cubs game on FOX you should be well aware of this. Maybe he can work on a Doug Fister after 7/30/11 impression if and when he's traded.