2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Phil Rodgers, "No team could use Soriano more than the Rays".

Rumor has it Detroit was interested at one time.

With how Dirks has been hitting, Soriano would barely play.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Phil Rodgers, "No team could use Soriano more than the Rays".

Rumor has it Detroit was interested at one time.

He'd be perfect for Tampa. But he'd probably turn it down because it is too domey there or something stupid.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't know that Tampa would take on any of that contract and I dont know If the Cubs will pay off the rest

The Cubs would pay the large majority if they felt they were getting back something useful.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
The Cubs would pay the large majority if they felt they were getting back something useful.

That's the thing, you probably aren't getting anything useful back for soriano with that contract. It is basically just "get him out of here" at this point, and everyone knows it

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
That's the thing, you probably aren't getting anything useful back for soriano with that contract. It is basically just "get him out of here" at this point, and everyone knows it

right, I heard that Cubs will eat all but 3m a year, except that it's not like for just this year and he's off the books for the team getting him, I believe he has 2 more years left.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)

I've heard that the Cubs were willing to pay almost $28 mil of the $36 mil due to him for 2013 & 2014, if they can get a good prospect. That leads to the question for inquiring teams, is a good prospect worth Soriano at $4m a year for his age 37 & 38 seasons?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
I've heard that the Cubs were willing to pay almost $28 mil of the $36 mil due to him for 2013 & 2014, if they can get a good prospect. That leads to the question for inquiring teams, is a good prospect worth Soriano at $4m a year for his age 37 & 38 seasons?

Would you give up a good prospect?

And knowing the value Tampa puts on their minor leagues, do you think they would give up a good prospect? Seems like a Chuck LaMarr era move, not an Andrew Friedman era move

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Castro gets $60 million: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...xtension-source

First thought: that's a terrible contract.

at first thought I thought it was neutral, then I looked at his numbers... they have to be banking on him getting better, which he certainly can since he's so young... but he has to improve. It will be a interesting to see if he can stick at SS

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
at first thought I thought it was neutral, then I looked at his numbers... they have to be banking on him getting better, which he certainly can since he's so young... but he has to improve. It will be a interesting to see if he can stick at SS

The real worry IMO is attitude. They're already complaining about his attitude a lot. Now he's gotten rewarded without having to fix that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
The real worry IMO is attitude. They're already complaining about his attitude a lot. Now he's gotten rewarded without having to fix that.

You would think they would have learned their lesson with Zambrano.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Castro gets $60 million: http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...xtension-source

First thought: that's a terrible contract.

I've heard he is very Patrick Kane-ish when it comes to partying & the nightlife, but at age 22 with his talent, I still don't see it being a terrible contract at all. Although I was surprised that his career OPS+ was only 103, I figured it was higher.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
I've heard he is very Patrick Kane-ish when it comes to partying & the nightlife, but at age 22 with his talent, I still don't see it being a terrible contract at all. Although I was surprised that his career OPS+ was only 103, I figured it was higher.

That's the point: he's really not that great currently. I was watching the Cubs postgame yesterday and both Hollandsworth and Kaplan compared this contract to Longoria's and McCutchen's. This is ignorant, but not wholly unexpected from them. Longoria's base contract was for $16.5 million dollars. Castro's is above $40 million. Prior to signing his contract, McCutchen had three years where he averaged a WAR of 4.3. Castro has averaged about 2.5 WAR/season and is rewarded with a huge sum of money.

Yes, he's 22, but he's shown little improvement in fielding, plate discipline and not being a massive space cadet. The Cubs overpaid for Castro, big time.

7 years? The guy is a well below average defensive SS, with an above average bat-for-position (a position he may not be able to stay at for long), serious attitude issues and a lot of mental mistakes. The $60M isn't as scary, really, as the 7 years. That is a big risk to take.

Everyone is talking about how much he can improve because he is so young. Except, this guy has shown consistently he lacks the mental tools necessary to do that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
You would think they would have learned their lesson with Zambrano.

Or Soriano... Dollarwise he might earn the contract, but attitudewise it sure seems like a dumb idea. I swear they are extending him just to pander to the attendance base, which is just f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
7 years? The guy is a well below average defensive SS, with an above average bat-for-position (a position he may not be able to stay at for long), serious attitude issues and a lot of mental mistakes. The $60M isn't as scary, really, as the 7 years. That is a big risk to take.

Everyone is talking about how much he can improve because he is so young. Except, this guy has shown consistently he lacks the mental tools necessary to do that.

That and the fact that he's in his essentially his 3rd full season in the majors and he has not improved offensively. He is still really young, but, you're right, there are way too many red flags to give out this kind of deal.

This Brewers bullpen has to be among the worst of all time. I think they could have competed for the wild card if they didn't blow so many games in the 8th & 9th, their offense barely missed a beat without Prince. Axford was lights out last year, K-Rod was one of the best closers of the past decade, weird.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-leag...-mlb.html"" target="_blank">I'd never heard of this guy until now.

Guy was on the Cubs in 2005 and got beaned in his first MLB plate appearance on the very first pitch. Concussion happens and he never makes it back to the bigs. Now there's an online petition for him to have just one more MLB plate appearance. I guess the idea is that since 1) the Cubs are horrible this year, and 2) they have exactly 1 open spot on their 40-man roster, he should get that shot against the even more horrible Houston Astros in the final game of the season.

I'd never heard of this guy until now.

Guy was on the Cubs in 2005 and got beaned in his first MLB plate appearance on the very first pitch. Concussion happens and he never makes it back to the bigs. Now there's an online petition for him to have just one more MLB plate appearance. I guess the idea is that since 1) the Cubs are horrible this year, and 2) they have exactly 1 open spot on their 40-man roster, he should get that shot against the even more horrible Houston Astros in the final game of the season.

Am I the only one who would find it funny if they did this and then the guy got hit again?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
A nameless female friend of mine from tweeting from Wrigley...

Maybe if I paid attention I would know who is actually scoring! Bahahaha

In other news, the world is still round.