2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
This will go down as one of the top 10 moments of the 2012 Cubs season (has nothing to do with the Cubs players).

http://deadspin.com/5944189/some-jackass-m...getting-ejected

I guys Kyle beat me to it...oh well.

We can keep posting it. It is pretty hilarious, I guess he was in the background for a few slo mo replays during the inning doing that

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
We can keep posting it. It is pretty hilarious, I guess he was in the background for a few slo mo replays during the inning doing that

One reason to stay a game during a delay and waiting until it

Called or played. You can score some pretty good seats.

I remember sitting through delays and the cold in 08 when Uribe hit that homer in 11th just to tie the

Game and then game was suspended. Then they

Moved the game to Baltimore.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
This will go down as one of the top 10 moments of the 2012 Cubs season (has nothing to do with the Cubs players).

http://deadspin.com/5944189/some-jackass-m...getting-ejected

I guys Kyle beat me to it...oh well.

Deadspin is hosting an open chat with the star of the video.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
As I said on a Cub fans facebook feed who posted this story...

Yet the Cubs have blown for 140 games, and no one has arrested them...

:lolhitting

Reader comment:

What else could he do? As a Cubs fan, he wouldn't know how to pantomime either "hitting" or "fielding".

• 2 weeks later...
So, have two 100-loss teams ever played each other before? Big series at Wrigley...

Last time two teams in the same league lost 100 games was 2006, but they did not meet each other after hitting 100 losses.

Last time before that was 2002, and KC got their 97th loss against a Detroit team already over 100, so close but no cigar there.

Will check further back later if I have time.

Edit: Not very many instances of even having 2 teams in the same league losing 100+. These years all had 2 teams but they didn't play each other after both had lost 100:

1993 San Diego and NY Mets

1985 Pittsburgh and San Francisco

1979 Toronto and Oakland

1978 Toronto and Seattle

1969 San Diego and Montreal

1965 Kansas City and Boston

1964 Kansas City and Washington

Finally found a winner: 1962 Cubs and Mets ended the season with a series after both teams were over 100 losses. Guess I should have known the Cubs would be involved.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

• 3 weeks later...

Cubs cracking down on resale of season tickets

The Cubs said they're taking a stance against ticket scalpers, declining to renew nearly 1,000 season tickets from about 40 customers

Working with outside sources, the Cubs said they identified fans who bought season tickets in bulk for the sole purpose of reselling them and sent them letters Wednesday telling them their accounts have been revoked.

"This is about getting as many season tickets in the hands of fans that are interested in and intend to enjoy Cubs baseball at Wrigley Field," vice president Julian Green said.

The total represents about 4 percent of the season ticket base and opens the waiting list, which currently stands at about 115,000.

According to one source who sells tickets on the secondary market, the sellers usually make money only during playoff years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
That is pretty gutsy on a year where that waiting list is going to disappear quickly.

Well it would take a lot to for 115,000 on the list to disappear, but you have to wonder how many of these people have legitimate interest. I'm sure plenty of those are ticket brokers as well, while many may have just signed up for the novelty. There is no deposit required like there is to get on the Bears list.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Well it would take a lot to for 115,000 on the list to disappear, but you have to wonder how many of these people have legitimate interest. I'm sure plenty of those are ticket brokers as well, while many may have just signed up for the novelty. There is no deposit required like there is to get on the Bears list.

The cubs allow you to sign up multiple times.

It's a pr stunt.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)

It's a pr stunt.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)

It's a pr stunt.

Is posting the same thing multiple times a pr stunt too? :P

http://www.elliottharris.com/?p=10785

* The fall from grace for Mark Grace is far from graceful. The former Chicago Cubs and Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman could face jail time in a DUI case, authorities in Arizona said Thursday. Grace, who also was a television analyst for the Diamondbacks before Bob Brenly replaced him after the 2012 season, could face four years in prison. On the bright (?) side, whatever his jail time, he needn’t worry about the Cubs winning a World Series during his incarceration.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 07:08 AM)
Notre Dame does this too. If your season tickets are swept up in a scalping arrest, you lose your tickets permanently.

Yes but illinois law allows people to resell tickets. AND the cubs have a partnership with stubhub.