Tony LaRussa is retiring.

Steve9347

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PWSullivan Paul Sullivan

LaRussa on highs and lows down stretch: "That game against the Cubs, you feel about as great as you can." Yes, the Marmol game.

Jon Morosi

TLR also says outcome of #WorldSeries didn't determine his decision.

La Russa said shingles had "no bearing" on decision.

La Russa on baseball: I don't know anything else. I don't know if the phone's going to ring about something else.

Tony La Russa announces his retirement: "It's just time to do something else." #STLCards

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
Another managerial opening?? Good thing the Sox scooped up Ventura when they did.

That wouldn't be retiring, would it? Tony told the front office that this would be his last year in August. It was a very well kept secret and there was no way he was coming to the White Sox regardless of whether they had hired somebody by now or not.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
That wouldn't be retiring, would it? Tony told the front office that this would be his last year in August. It was a very well kept secret and there was no way he was coming to the White Sox regardless of whether they had hired somebody by now or not.

I wasn't saying that the Sox could have hired TLR. I was inferring that it's a good thing the Sox hired Ventura earlier, because he would obviously be the #1 candidate for the Cardinals job too. (sarcasm)

I think the Cardinals winning it all makes Pujols re-signing a ton more likely. They have the extra money generated from the title and run, the media and fan focus on it, etc. I don't think they can let him walk now. Some might say the opposite, but I believe this to be the case.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
Whoa. Did not see that coming. Way to go out in style, good for him.

Really? Before they even won it all, I was thinking that this would be a perfect time for him to retire.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
The true reason he's retiring........the White Sox have already filled their managerial position. If he can't coach our team, may as well leave baseball.

Obviously. All hope was lost to him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
I would imagine that Bud will decide that.

Or read it off of a cue card that someone else already decided.

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Soo, maybe a stupid question but does that mean the new St. Louis manager will manage the All-Star game for the NL?

And here is the answer

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

NL manager for 2012 ASG will be decided by commissioner's office. Could be La Russa's replacement with #STLCards, but not necessarily. #MLB

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Strong farm?

All I know is that in the last two years their farm has produced David Freese, Jaime Garcia, Allen Craig, Fernando Salas, Jon Jay, Jason Motte, Mitchell Boggs and Eduardo Sanchez. They're doing something right over there. And obviously Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez are both on the cusp.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 31, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
All I know is that in the last two years their farm has produced David Freese, Jaime Garcia, Allen Craig, Fernando Salas, Jon Jay, Jason Motte, Mitchell Boggs and Eduardo Sanchez. They're doing something right over there. And obviously Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez are both on the cusp.

Those two, Wong, a strong 1b in Adams...not too bad of a farm