Its official Cottsy is going to the Show

Bullard

Yea Ive been waiting to see this guy.... Just think if he turns out like harden did....

Loaiza

Buehrle

Colon

Garland

Cotts

WHOA MAN!!

:bringit

Yeah..... enjoy it for a month and 21 days playoffs not withstanding. JR and KW will make sure that isn't the starting rotation come Opening Day '04. You can count on that ;) .

You are almost certainly right about that. But, I'll worry about that in the off season. For now, it's as Al Davis used to say ... "Just win baby!"

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carlos Castillo is not ready to face AA hitters...we heard the game he pitched on the radio, and he got lit up.

Corwin I think could make the jump...he was solid in Kannapolis.

Corwin's prollems are like 95%mental IMO.

BTW......it good to here from ya jimmy, we miss you when u dont post.

... Carlos Castillo pitched in the Bigs, so I have no clue where you're getting that logic from.

Carlos Castillo is not ready to face AA hitters...we heard the game he pitched on the radio, and he got lit up.

... Carlos Castillo pitched in the Bigs, so I have no clue where you're getting that logic from.

What the f*** are you talking about?

I'm aware that Carlos Castillo was a major League pitcher..... he is coming off arm surgery and pitching for a HIGH-A(Winston-Salem)ball team and getting hit real hard. Why promote him to AA to get hit any harder.

Thats my f***ing logic is coming from.

1.) The eternal optimist would say, "Awesome, he will do for the Sox what Gobble is doing for the Royals and that guy who pitched for Oakland today is doing for Oakland."

2.) The eternal pessimist would say, "Great, this kid is gonna get shelled and cost our chances at a pennant."

I go for No. 1!

1.) The eternal optimist would say, "Awesome, he will do for the Sox what Gobble is doing for the Royals and that guy who pitched for Oakland today is doing for Oakland."

2.) The eternal pessimist would say, "Great, this kid is gonna get shelled and cost our chances at a pennant."

I go for No. 1!

And your basic Sox fan would say "Let's see what this can can do." and hope for the best. Go get 'em Neal.

What the f*** are you talking about?

I'm aware that Carlos Castillo was a major League pitcher..... he is coming off arm surgery and pitching for a HIGH-A(Winston-Salem)ball team and getting hit real hard. Why promote him to AA to get hit any harder.

Thats my f***ing logic is coming from.

Someone's pissy.

He's 28 years old, unsuccessful at AAA, and is very doubtful that he'll ever come back. But, I guess it's good not to push 28 year olds whose career minor-league ERA is 4.22 too hard. Don't want to stunt their progression.

This is tremendous news about Neal Cotts! Go out there and slay the Angels, Neal! We're all pulling for you big time.

I think Cotts may be the final piece to the puzzle this year. It not only helps our rotation (especially given Garland's shaky last outing), but with Danny Wright moved to the pen, adds perhaps the best right handed arm we could get out there at this late date. And both can be in the postseason mix.

It is just an amazing year for the Sox. Despite woeful play in the first half, KW continued to believe in the team (as I did) and became a trade deadline BUYER, swinging both Robby Alomar and Carl Everett. Neither paid dividends before the All Star Game, but once they were assimiliated, both have played key roles in our resurgence. KW then added Schoney, who will also come around. And, unlike past years when we might have remained too cautious, finally brought up Neal "lights out" Cotts to strengthen the one hole left in our starting staff. And we've got a 3-way race to make sure we keep building our intensity right into October.

This is our year Sox fans. Keep believing in the BIG prize.

I didn't look at the schedule to figurte out how many starts Neal can expect. I'm hoping we make a commitment and give him 3-4 as a minimum. If he can keep us in those games with a chance to win he's a success under this situation.

In other words, he doesn't have to carry the weight of the game on his shoulders and I pray he doesn't think so. We have pitchers that are expected to do that; E-Lo, Mark, and Bart. The offense should be expected to carry Neal. All we should expect him to do is keep us in the game by pitching 6-7 innings and avoiding big numbers. Everyone has a role.

From the Southtown:

The Sox also are expected to announce today that catcher Jamie Burke will be sent back to Triple-A Charlotte, as catcher Miguel Olivo's shoulder has healed.

Olivo collided with Kansas City's Brent Mayne during a play at the plate last Wednesday and has been out of the lineup since. Burke was brought up Friday to provide some relief to veteran catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. Burke started Saturday's game against Oakland.

Olivo had a 10-minute session before Sunday's game, throwing the ball with authority from as far as 120 feet away. Afterward, he reported no pain.

"I feel great and I'm excited right now," Olivo said. "I was having trouble throwing when it first happened, but no trouble now."

Throwing is an essential part of Olivo's game. He has thrown out 38.5 percent of would-be base stealers this season, fourth-best in the American League.

Despite woeful play in the first half, KW continued to believe in the team (as I did) and became a trade deadline BUYER, swinging both Robby Alomar and Carl Everett.

Those early July trades of Alomar and Everett, IMO, did not put us in the buyer category. It put us in a category of our own, the "Let's go get two good veteran hitters and see if they help turn our team around. If they don't, we're firesaling" category.

Had we not had the success we had with those two, I guarantee you the team would look WAY different. You might see a bunch of people you've never heard of, and a few that you have. Our ace would be Buehrle, #2 Garland, #3 Wright, #4 Cotts, and #5 Diaz, or something like that. Our bullpen would probably not have Gordon, Wunsch, possibly Koch, possibly Marte too.

I'm am happy as hell that Alomar and Everett did and have helped as much as they have. It would be ugly if they had not.

Those early July trades of Alomar and Everett, IMO, did not put us in the buyer category.  It put us in a category of our own, the "Let's go get two good veteran hitters and see if they help turn our team around.  If they don't, we're firesaling" category.

Had we not had the success we had with those two, I guarantee you the team would look WAY different.  You might see a bunch of people you've never heard of, and a few that you have.  Our ace would be Buehrle, #2 Garland, #3 Wright, #4 Cotts, and #5 Diaz, or something like that.  Our bullpen would probably not have Gordon, Wunsch, possibly Koch, possibly Marte too. 

I'm am happy as hell that Alomar and Everett did and have helped as much as they have.  It would be ugly if they had not.

Couldn't disagree more, IMO the decision to stay in the race was made before those two were picked up. The only ???? was should they wait til closer to the deadline. They made the right decision going early with the trades.

Oh, and by the way................  Nice work today Jim. 

2 2/3 IP 0 H  0 R  2 BB  1 K

I think Honel would be on the way up. Heard some mention of him maybe going up when I was in Winston Salem.

Honel only pitched 4 innings last night, while it could be that his Pitch Count was high, or some other reason, maybe he got the call up, you never know

Thanks Rex.  Thats my longest outing since the All Star break.  I have no idea who is gonna take his place.  Neal is officially on our roster until Tuesday, so we wont have to make a move until then.  But he's flying to Anaheim tomorrow morning to meet the team.  I dont think we'll get Honel or Winger becuz Winston is playoff bound and they need those two for their playoffs.  I would say maybe Carlos Castillo or Malone.  But I dont know for sure. 

PS How did you know so fast what happened today at our game. Radio? Internet?

Ulacia won't be there I don't think. I think the Sox are gonna keep him in Winston Salem.

Saw him pitch about two days ago and he really struggled with consistency. He'd look good for two batters and then completely lost the next couple, but thats how it is when your coming back from an injury.

Malone was supposed to pitch the 2nd game I was gonna see in Kanny but the game was rained out so I wasn't able to see him. I got a feeling he'll move up to Winston Salem as a starter to replace whoever goes up.

Rob Purvis could work too (He started for Winston Salem for one of the games I saw). Threw a no hitter only to lose the game when Ulacia came in. In Ulacia's defense he probably gives up a run had the Warthogs played anything close to decent defense.

Also nice outing Jim :headbang hopefully soon enough you and Neal can be teammates once again (And I'm definately implying with the Sox :headbang )