Its official Cottsy is going to the Show

Bullard

His first 4 starts would be:

At Anaheim

At Texas

Texas

At Detroit

Well Texas will obviously be difficult, but I think they are wise in bringing him up against struggling teams. Thats not saying the Sox will win...casue we know how they can play against some of the bad teams...plus nothing is easy on the west coast.

Either way congrats to Neal. Can't wait to watch him in Anaheim, I'll definately be cheering him on from the Ed and I do think Cotts is going to come on and be very sucessful. I just get this great feeling about him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and by the way................  Nice work today Jim. 

2 2/3 IP 0 H  0 R  2 BB  1 K

I think Honel would be on the way up. Heard some mention of him maybe going up when I was in Winston Salem.

Honel only pitched 4 innings last night, while it could be that his Pitch Count was high, or some other reason, maybe he got the call up, you never know

When we were in W-S....we talked to Honel and they told him to "be prepared" for a call-up to AA.

So take it for what it's worth.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 10 2003, 10:41 PM)

Despite woeful play in the first half, KW continued to believe in the team (as I did) and became a trade deadline BUYER, swinging both Robby Alomar and Carl Everett. 

Those early July trades of Alomar and Everett, IMO, did not put us in the buyer category. It put us in a category of our own, the "Let's go get two good veteran hitters and see if they help turn our team around. If they don't, we're firesaling" category.

Had we not had the success we had with those two, I guarantee you the team would look WAY different. You might see a bunch of people you've never heard of, and a few that you have. Our ace would be Buehrle, #2 Garland, #3 Wright, #4 Cotts, and #5 Diaz, or something like that. Our bullpen would probably not have Gordon, Wunsch, possibly Koch, possibly Marte too.

I'm am happy as hell that Alomar and Everett did and have helped as much as they have. It would be ugly if they had not.

I disagree. KW wasn't selling, period. White Flag II wasn't happening this year any more than the Sox were going to fire Jerry Manuel.

As bad as it's looked this year, I've never lost faith and I don't think KW did either. Instead, he made some wise moves to strengthen the club. Moving Wright to the pen and bringing up Cotts is just the latest of those wise moves.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 10 2003, 10:41 PM)

Despite woeful play in the first half, KW continued to believe in the team (as I did) and became a trade deadline BUYER, swinging both Robby Alomar and Carl Everett. 

Those early July trades of Alomar and Everett, IMO, did not put us in the buyer category. It put us in a category of our own, the "Let's go get two good veteran hitters and see if they help turn our team around. If they don't, we're firesaling" category.

Had we not had the success we had with those two, I guarantee you the team would look WAY different. You might see a bunch of people you've never heard of, and a few that you have. Our ace would be Buehrle, #2 Garland, #3 Wright, #4 Cotts, and #5 Diaz, or something like that. Our bullpen would probably not have Gordon, Wunsch, possibly Koch, possibly Marte too.

I'm am happy as hell that Alomar and Everett did and have helped as much as they have. It would be ugly if they had not.

I disagree. KW wasn't selling, period. White Flag II wasn't happening this year any more than the Sox were going to fire Jerry Manuel.

As bad as it's looked this year, I've never lost faith and I don't think KW did either. Instead, he made some wise moves to strengthen the club. Moving Wright to the pen and bringing up Cotts is just the latest of those wise moves.

before you keep describing him as this sage like professor, let deal with the facts.

if kw did another firesale, you might as well see the team sold, b/c the fans would really

abandon them.

the sox was still in contentions and the talent was there, no question about that. getting

robbie and everett was a good move. excellen on the robbie part. i am going to be a wait and

see on carl part. that was a slick move but not one that would have made kw a genius.

when the sox started to win, it was a no brainer not to trade players but to

get players who can help us. i still think the best trade that kw did was not making the trades

i am sure that would have damage us. in other words getting taken as kw so often have in the

past.

brining up cotts again was a no brainer, in reallity a given, we had no #5, wright did not light a fire

of confidence in him and cotts was the only pitcher that might be mlb ready. so lets say that

he made some sound move that was there. if we the posters on the board could see it, then i am

sure so could kw. he was doing a right and expected moves.

it appears your all in on who Bullard is, I am not, therefore I just needed to understand. Now I understand, thanks for sharing. I learn a little more each day.

I appreciate your response

No problemo quickman, btw Cotts himself has posted here a few times so maybe he'll stop in here after he gets settled in and tell us what it's like to win his first big league start.

Has he really? When and by what name?

it appears your all in on who Bullard is, I am not, therefore I just needed to understand. Now I understand, thanks for sharing. I learn a little more each day.

I appreciate your response

No problemo quickman, btw Cotts himself has posted here a few times so maybe he'll stop in here after he gets settled in and tell us what it's like to win his first big league start.

Has he really? When and by what name?

Cotts has only posted on here once or twice that I have seen. He used the name "Cotts".

Here was his first post...........

Cotts Posted: Jun 30 2003, 10:46 PM

Draft Pick

Group: Members

Member No.: 707

Hey guys its me. Bull told me I had to come on here and say hi, so here I am. He said that the people on here actually have a clue about the game. I look forward to checking in here periodically. Alright well we gotta game in a bit in Huntsville but its raining so I dont know if we're gonna actually play. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the Futures Game.

And his second........

Cotts Posted: Jun 30 2003, 10:55 PM

Draft Pick

Group: Members

Member No.: 707

No I'm not Canadian. I put it on there becuz my buddy with the A's Rich Harden is. He's in the Futures Game as well. Late

Well boys and girls my little buddy Neal is headed back to Bham right now to pack because he's headed for Anaheim to join the Sox.  He doesnt know what day he's pitching yet, either Tue. or Wed.

Good stuff JB thanks for the insight. :headbang

Jim and Neal are so cool! I was hoping to get Neal's autograph at the Future's Game but I didn't see him. Seeing him dominate was good enough. BTW Cotts > Harden

Just maybe a little to optimistic there, first of all I wouldn't really consider what cotts did at the futures game dominating, he let up a run in 1 inning, and lets not call him Rich Harden yet, Harden has a better arm, but from what Rex and others have said Cotts really knows how to pitch, I'm going to wait to jump to conclusion seeing him pitch one inning at the futures game isn't enough for me to come up with a valid opinion.