All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:53 AM)
Atletico got raided this offseason. They won't be much of a contender.

You're probably right but I think Griezmann is an excellent signing. Mandzukic has been a top striker the past 2 seasons, and Atletico have had great success signing/developing strikers with Torres, Forlan, Aguero, Falcao and Costa, so I wouldn't bet against him being a success. Oblak, though still very young, has a chance to be a top GK. Siqueira should be at least an adequate replacement for Filipe Luis. I wouldn't expect them to repeat last years achievements but they shouldn't be too far off.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
You're probably right but I think Griezmann is an excellent signing. Mandzukic has been a top striker the past 2 seasons, and Atletico have had great success signing/developing strikers with Torres, Forlan, Aguero, Falcao and Costa, so I wouldn't bet against him being a success. Oblak, though still very young, has a chance to be a top GK. Siqueira should be at least an adequate replacement for Filipe Luis. I wouldn't expect them to repeat last years achievements but they shouldn't be too far off.

Good points, and third place in La Liga last year probably would have won the Premier League by a wide margin last season. The top two are just so strong, although Barca's new roster doesn't impress me as much as Real this season, that it's a high standard to compete with those two. They likely take third.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Good points, and third place in La Liga last year probably would have won the Premier League by a wide margin last season. The top two are just so strong, although Barca's new roster doesn't impress me as much as Real this season, that it's a high standard to compete with those two. They likely take third.

I really felt Barca should've went after Di Maria as opposed to Suarez so he could help setup Neymar and Messi.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
I really felt Barca should've went after Di Maria as opposed to Suarez so he could help setup Neymar and Messi.

They're thinking of going away from the 4-3-3 they've been playing to a 3-2-3-2, where they'd play 2 CBs and 1 LB/RB in the back, two defensive midfielders (one of them might be Mascherano), a CM flanked by two fast wings and two strikers (Neymar/Messi and Suarez).

It looks like Barca will also get Juan Cuadrado from Fiorentina instead of ManU, so he will probably be one of the two wings (he's got great speed) along with Pedro. Barcelona's setup is definitely weird, but you have to wonder if all those offensive players on Real Madrid can co-exist. It'll also be interesting to see how Messi does this year after somewhat of a down year for him last year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
Apparently Joxer is getting the last laugh, WTF? How do you screw up a simple lineup card like that?

I'm devastated. I think if it was a powerhouse club they would be receiving a fine and a slap on the wrist. It's a huge f*** up on Legia's part but I think UEFA did them wrong. He was on the pitch for 3 min of extra time in a match where everything was already settled.

18 years I'm waiting for Legia to get back to Champions League, this is the closest they've gotten and now this.

Story.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
So Barcelona have spent around £30m on Jeremy Mathieu and Thomas Vermaelen. 2 aging, kind of average CB's. Seems an interesting/odd move.

Would you rather they spend that much money on an 18-year-old left back? The transfer market is inflated and Barca has tons of money. The money isn't really a factor. I will be interested to see how Barca does this season. They don't appear as deep as they've been.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
I'm devastated. I think if it was a powerhouse club they would be receiving a fine and a slap on the wrist. It's a huge f*** up on Legia's part but I think UEFA did them wrong. He was on the pitch for 3 min of extra time in a match where everything was already settled.

18 years I'm waiting for Legia to get back to Champions League, this is the closest they've gotten and now this.

Story.

That's terrible. Turns out he didn't serve his full suspension since he wasn't registered for two of the games he didn't play.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
So Barcelona have spent around £30m on Jeremy Mathieu and Thomas Vermaelen. 2 aging, kind of average CB's. Seems an interesting/odd move.

It's because they're planning on playing a 3 man back-line this year (2 CBs, 1 FB). Mascherano is going to move up as a CDM, so they need extra CBs along with Pique and Bartra.

At least Vermaelen's not 30. I think he might get the starting nod over Mathieu.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 02:10 AM)
They need RVP back.

Maybe they can still make a move for Vidal or another good midfielder.

That was the problem last year, too. RVP carried them the year before. He missed half the season under Moyes. When your backline is Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Tyler Blackett (who?) it's no wonder you're going to struggle though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 03:06 AM)
Yedlin's moving to Totenham after this MLS season.

$4 million transfer fee. He'll have a lot of competition to crack the starting lineup though. Kyle Walker is a pretty good RB.

Kyle Naughton , who is terrible, started at one of the FB positions for Spurs on Saturday and predictably was terrible, including getting a straight red and giving away a PK. I think Yedlin would seriously challenge for playing time if he moves in January, especially if they are still involved in the league cups and Europe.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
Kyle Naughton , who is terrible, started at one of the FB positions for Spurs on Saturday and predictably was terrible, including getting a straight red and giving away a PK. I think Yedlin would seriously challenge for playing time if he moves in January, especially if they are still involved in the league cups and Europe.

The terms of the deal aren't even clear when he'll move exactly. I'm not sure why he wouldn't move in January though. He'd be doing nothing for 3-4 months if the stays in the US.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 08:59 PM)
That was the problem last year, too. RVP carried them the year before. He missed half the season under Moyes. When your backline is Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Tyler Blackett (who?) it's no wonder you're going to struggle though.

They have nothing but offensive players and their defensive players suck. That would be fine if their offensive players were good, but outside of Rooney and Mata, they're either bad or meh.

• 2 weeks later...

ManU now have 3 top-tier strikers in Rooney, Van Persie, and Falcao along with a great distributor in Di Maria.

They've only scored one goal so far in the Premier League. If they don't start scoring some more with a front line of Rooney, Falcao, Mata, and Di Maria, then Van Gaal will surely be on the hot seat.

Edited by chw42