All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 18, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I didn't look into the timing at all, but yeah those could be some great Sundays.

Every single sign points to yes, and it should be official next week.

Chelsea looked awful. They scored their goal and were content to go home with an away goal in their pocket. I was surprised too, but PSG looked the much better side.

Bayern should be fine, but that was a surprising result as well. The little of the match I saw they didn't seem like they were really that worried about scoring

That's Mourinho's style. Score and park the bus. Bayern should be fine, but I expected them to score at least 2-3 times with the way they played last week against Hamburg SV.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Suarez has 2 goals against City in the Champions League in 45 minutes.

He had 7 goals in all games before that. I think Suarez's style of play fits much better in the Premier League.

Liverpool was built around him. Barcelona is built around Messi. 9 goals in 23 appearances isn't bad for a 'supporting' striker.

Messi is scoring a goal a game. Suarez's Liverpool scoring rate doesn't just get added on top of that. It doesn't work like that. Even dominant teams only have so many scoring chances to go around.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 24, 2015 -> 11:51 PM)
Liverpool was built around him. Barcelona is built around Messi. 9 goals in 23 appearances isn't bad for a 'supporting' striker.

Messi is scoring a goal a game. Suarez's Liverpool scoring rate doesn't just get added on top of that. It doesn't work like that. Even dominant teams only have so many scoring chances to go around.

Messi and Neymar have actually had just as good of a season as Ronaldo if you look at some of the more in depth stats.

Suarez is almost the third option on that team. I like how they moved Messi to the right wing and he still plays like a center forward half the time.

I still can't believe Messi missed that put-back on his missed penalty. He gave City new life. They were going to be dead in the water if they went to Barca down 3-1.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
1) I hope they open up free agency.

2) What the hell is going on with them?

Free agency kind of started with the new CBA so hopefully they continue to open it up over the years. I think the bigger issue is getting rid of single-entity, but that kind of ties into free agency.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 06:54 PM)
Nice to see Kaka score a goal to tie the game for Orlando City.

I went to the game and it was an amazing atmosphere. Orlando City should've gotten atleast one PK awarded to them and the Kaka goal was deserving since they were the team that had the most chances and I think played better over the course of the 90 minutes.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
MLS anyone? It's opening weekend. Unfortunately, the Fire look bad again.

I'm going to try and make a concerted effort to follow more closely this year than I have in the past. I already have summer plans to go and see games in Toronto and New England and I'm sure i'll make a few trips down to see NYCFC play.

Real Madrid are in some serious trouble. 3rd shutout of the calendar year (only 3 all of last year) and they're now a point behind Barca. There's still time for them though, but Barca looks unstoppable ATM. Suarez is really hitting his stride and Messi is back to being 40 goals a season Messi.

More Real Madrid trouble: they got beat by Schalke at the Bernabeu and were just one goal away from choking a 2-0 first leg lead away. They also let Huntelaar score a damn hat trick on them. They've also never allowed 4 goals in Champions League play at home.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
MLS anyone? It's opening weekend. Unfortunately, the Fire look bad again.

The turnover they did with their roster was pretty staggering, we'll see if it works.

Why do they seem to always a brutal road game to open up their season?

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
The turnover they did with their roster was pretty staggering, we'll see if it works.

Why do they seem to always a brutal road game to open up their season?

I assume they start on the road to give the weather another week to warm up for the home opener. As for why it's been LA the past two years, good question.

The Chelsea-PSG Champions League game finishing up right now has been ruined by the ref. He sent off Zlatan for a pretty standard foul, then didn't call what seemed like a penalty for Chelsea as somewhat of a makeup call and had the trifecta of bad crucial calls for not sending off Diego Costa who went hunting from behind on a PSG player way worse than the Zlatan tackle (gave him a yellow).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
I assume they start on the road to give the weather another week to warm up for the home opener. As for why it's been LA the past two years, good question.

The Chelsea-PSG Champions League game finishing up right now has been ruined by the ref. He sent off Zlatan for a pretty standard foul, then didn't call what seemed like a penalty for Chelsea as somewhat of a makeup call and had the trifecta of bad crucial calls for not sending off Diego Costa who went hunting from behind on a PSG player way worse than the Zlatan tackle (gave him a yellow).

There were so many cards in that PSG-Chelsea game.

Ibra's red was a total joke. Thiago Silva and David Luiz though...very clutch to send an unlikable Chelsea team away.

PSG has surprised me a lot thus far. They've been disappointing in the Champions League the past few years, despite having spent so much money. Chelsea's the best team in the second best league in Europe and PSG outplayed them in both games. To even take the game into ET with only 10 men is already an accomplishment. To knock Chelsea off at home with only 10 men is very impressive.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
Joe Hart played out of his mind today. Barcelona should have won that game 4-0, but Hart kept City in it.

Yeah, that was a great game to watch. Between Barca absolutely dominating with unbelievable combination play and Messi at his best and Hart stopping nearly everything, it was great entertainment.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 18, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Yeah, that was a great game to watch. Between Barca absolutely dominating with unbelievable combination play and Messi at his best and Hart stopping nearly everything, it was great entertainment.

City's front line choked away two great chances. They could have actually gotten this to ET. Instead, they wasted Hart's effort.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Well, at least we'll have a better variety of Thanksgiving football available to us that year.

Wow, with the EPL holiday schedule (I assume other major Euro Leagues have a similar crunch) the hiatus the major euro league will have to take and make up for and the WC, the elite players are going to play crazy amounts of soccer over a short time.

It will be interested to see how Euro legaues handle it. How long do they break? Just for early pool play then if your superstar is in a team that advances you're S.O.L?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 19, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Wow, with the EPL holiday schedule (I assume other major Euro Leagues have a similar crunch) the hiatus the major euro league will have to take and make up for and the WC, the elite players are going to play crazy amounts of soccer over a short time.

It will be interested to see how Euro legaues handle it. How long do they break? Just for early pool play then if your superstar is in a team that advances you're S.O.L?

They'll probably have a long hiatus. The issue is that it affects the next season. They might have to start the season earlier.