Minoso a candidate for the HOF

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
News from the future:

Minnie Miñoso receives nowhere near the necessary votes to achieve Hall Of Fame status.

The proliferation of this type of attitude in posts across this board shut down discussion and keep White Sox fans like me from bothering to post often or read too deeply into this site.

To be sure, sheer interest and numbers keep Soxtalk the place to check out for up-to-the-minute new about our favorite team. But the constant negativity, finger pointing and fault finding is a buzzkill.

BTW, a**h0le, there's no tilde in Minoso's name.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
The proliferation of this type of attitude in posts across this board shut down discussion and keep White Sox fans like me from bothering to post often or read too deeply into this site.

To be sure, sheer interest and numbers keep Soxtalk the place to check out for up-to-the-minute new about our favorite team. But the constant negativity, finger pointing and fault finding is a buzzkill.

Here's a couple of things:

1.) I really don't give two s***s what you think about the negativity.

2.) What I said is true.

3.) There absolutely is. Check it out here, here, or even here, on his own official website. So before you come in here telling people how they should and shouldn't post in a thread about a former player whose name you can't even properly spell, perhaps you should do some research.

Thanks.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

back it down buck. no need for that

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Interesting that I've never heard it pronounced with a tilde.

Maybe people were just more ignorant of spanish when he was a popular player?

I'm sure that's exactly the reason.

And I understand the contributions he's made to the game, but he's not going to make it if he hasn't already.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
I think people forget about Minnie's time in the Negro Leagues, or the fact that he was the first "black Latin" player in the bigs. His performance goes well beyond what he did statistically in the majors. I think he has a decent shot at it.

I agree. He really was one of the under-appreciated stars of the 1950's. Probably a victim of his era, and park he played in.

This post, so much.

Wah wah wah. If people think it sucks so much, either start posting more often with counter arguments to the negative arguments or go to another site. Simple as that.

I propose the reason that people make the sort of posts you see here in this thread is that they can't formulate a good argument why the negative stuff is wrong.

Link

Minnie Minoso, OF, 1949-1964

Stats: .298/.389/.459, 186 HRs, 1,023 RBIs, 1,136 runs, 1,963 hits, 9-time All-Star

Minoso's first full season in the majors came in 1951, when he was 25 years old. He hit .326, scored 112 runs, led the league in triples and stolen bases and finished fourth in the MVP vote. From 1951 until 1962 (when he fractured his skull and wrist running into a wall, and later fractured his forearm when hit by a pitch) Minoso had the seventh-highest WAR among all major league position players, trailing only Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Eddie Mathews, Stan Musial, Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks. In other words, for an 11-year span, he was one of the best players in baseball.

Minoso did everything well: He hit for average, drew walks, had speed, hit for some power, was durable and was regarded as a good outfielder (the Gold Glove award wasn't created until he was 31, but he won three). The writers of his time knew he was an excellent player -- he finished fourth in the MVP voting four times, an impressive achievement considering he never played for a pennant winner.

Of course, his career numbers may not look impressive, but remember: His career didn't start until he was 25 because of the color barrier. He was the first black player for the White Sox. Considering he was already a star as a rookie, what if he had reached the majors when he was 21? Now you're adding another 700 hits or so, 400 runs and 350 RBIs to his career totals and 15 seasons as one of the best players in baseball. It seems to me more than unfair to discount Minoso's totals simply because he got a late start in the major leagues due to racial circumstances.

Minoso is 85 years old and still going strong. Put the man in Cooperstown. He deserves it.

Coming up on Friday: I'll check out the other eight candidates on the ballot.

I remember Jack Brickhouse telling the story that, during Minie's rookie year, he slid into third with a triple, and gobs of cash came out of his pockets. He had not gotten a bank account yet and didn't trust the clubhouse.

• 2 weeks later...

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/2011/11/1...port-of-minoso/

In Support of Minoso

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

As many of you may know, the White Sox are doing all that we can to get behind our living legend, Minnie Minoso’s candidacy for the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Minnie is one of ten candidates on the Golden Era ballot for contributions made to the game of baseball from 1947-72. Voting will take place next month at the Winter Meetings in Dallas.

Our efforts have included the launch of www.whitesox.com/minnie, a website dedicated to chronicling Minnie 17-year baseball career. It includes testimonials, career highlights, archival video and audio clips, photos, an interview with Minnie and more. Check it out when you have a chance. You may be surprised by Minnie’s myriad accomplishments and contributions not only to the White Sox, but also to the game.

In addition to the website, we also are hosting a “Minnie Minoso Hall of Fame Forum” this Thursday here at the ballpark. The event will be hosted by ESPN’s Pedro Gomez and will bring together the baseball statistical community, historians and former Major Leaguers for a discussion around Minnie’s Hall of Fame candidacy. Minnie also will be in attendance to share memories from his record-setting career.

We’ll be live-tweeting the event via @whitesox, as well as posting photos and videos to whitesox.com and our official Facebook page, so be sure to follow and “like” us!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
News from the future:

Minnie Miñoso receives nowhere near the necessary votes to achieve Hall Of Fame status.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)

;)