A little lesson planning help

Texsox

I am trying to think of a song to teach the idea of mood and tone. Even better would be one where the lyrics set one mood and the music another. Basically the students will read the lyrics (poem) and answer questions about mood, tone, and perhaps any otehr literary device that may be lurking in there. After listening to the song they will answer the questions again, only this time with the music.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)

Perhaps a better example (since this song actually has more than two lyrics) is Faith No More's version of I Started a Joke:

The contrast isn't as obvious, but the lyrics are fairly depressing, while I find the backing music (and the presentation) to be fairly uplifting. Perhaps it's just this specific performance, I don't know.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
Perhaps a better example (since this song actually has more than two lyrics) is Faith No More's version of I Started a Joke:

The contrast isn't as obvious, but the lyrics are fairly depressing, while I find the backing music (and the presentation) to be fairly uplifting. Perhaps it's just this specific performance, I don't know.

Or that. FNM f***ing owns.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
Or that. FNM f***ing owns.

I'm actually not a huge Faith No More guy, although Mike Patton is the f***ing man. A lot of it is too cookie cutter for me to really get into, although their later stuff gets better. Basically, the closer they got to Mr. Bungle-era Patton, the better.

Mr. Bungle certainly f***ing owns, as does Tomahawk (another of Patton's projects post-FNM).

Moral of the story: Patton is a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really good vocalist.

Edited by Felix