Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
We should do a poll and ask ... at what cost would u bring back Mark.

I'd say ... any cost. Just outbid everybody. It's not our money. And ticket prices will be outrageous no matter if he signs or not.

You forgot to use green. Otherwise, worst...post...of the day.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
We should do a poll and ask ... at what cost would u bring back Mark.

I'd say ... any cost. Just outbid everybody. It's not our money. And ticket prices will be outrageous no matter if he signs or not.

Come on, man.

Obviously it's not our money, but we still care about how it's being spent, because any money that goes to Buerhle is money that doesn't go to another player(s). And that includes saving money this year and spending it down the road. The payroll is not unlimited.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Come on, man.

Obviously it's not our money, but we still care about how it's being spent, because any money that goes to Buerhle is money that doesn't go to another player(s). And that includes saving money this year and spending it down the road. The payroll is not unlimited.

Fair enough.

Sorry I didn't see the poll. My bad.

I'm out of whack sports wise with all the deaths, horrible scandals.

Ok State coaches die; Syracuse, Penn State, horrible.

I still say give Mark whatever he wants. He'll earn the money unlike some bums.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Fair enough.

A lot of fans (myself included) probably overvalue Mark because of what he means to the team. I think if the Sox signed him for 3 years at $13 or $14 million per he would probably earn the money with his pitching. Much more than that and I think the Sox would be paying for Mark Buehrle the man vs. Mark Buehrle the pitcher. I'd love to see him back, and even if the Sox overpaid I'd be happy. But the more analytical part of me would be yelling at the emotional part of me saying he's being paid money that should have been used elsewhere.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
A lot of fans (myself included) probably overvalue Mark because of what he means to the team. I think if the Sox signed him for 3 years at $13 or $14 million per he would probably earn the money with his pitching. Much more than that and I think the Sox would be paying for Mark Buehrle the man vs. Mark Buehrle the pitcher. I'd love to see him back, and even if the Sox overpaid I'd be happy. But the more analytical part of me would be yelling at the emotional part of me saying he's being paid money that should have been used elsewhere.

I think it makes sense to bring him back at market value IF Danks and Floyd are gone. Likewise, if Buerhle walks, we can probably only afford to trade one fo those guys.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Fair enough.

How do you know that? What if you give him $15 mil a year for four seasons and he has a 4.50+ ERA every year? That's not earning that salary.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
How do you know that? What if you give him $15 mil a year for four seasons and he has a 4.50+ ERA every year? That's not earning that salary.

Then we wasted Jerry's money. Big deal. Like I said, signing Mark or not signing Mark will have NO EFFECT on ticket prices, cost of parking, concessions. I'd rather have Mark get the loot than somebody else we might bring in.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
Then we wasted Jerry's money. Big deal. Like I said, signing Mark or not signing Mark will have NO EFFECT on ticket prices, cost of parking, concessions. I'd rather have Mark get the loot because he was part of the '05 team than somebody else we might bring in.

Fixed for ya

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 02:29 AM)
Fixed for ya

Give me a break. Buehrle just good in 05?

People hate on the guys who are reliable, the guys who have been around, the guys who deserve White Sox money.

They like the unknown ... like Adam Dunn, until they get here and suck.

Saying I love perhaps the best starter in White Sox history for just one season is bulls***.

Edited by greg775

I want Buehrle back however can the White Sox afford it? Those huge contracts to Rios, Peavy, and Dunn are huge financial drains. And isn't Danks pretty much going to put up similar numbers to Buehrle? You have a younger version of Buehrle in the same price range.

Unless JR is still willing to open up the pocketbook. Then, I would love to keep Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks. That is fairly reliable trio and then we have enough depth of starters to fill in the final two starter holes.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
I want Buehrle back however can the White Sox afford it? Those huge contracts to Rios, Peavy, and Dunn are huge financial drains. And isn't Danks pretty much going to put up similar numbers to Buehrle? You have a younger version of Buehrle in the same price range.

Unless JR is still willing to open up the pocketbook. Then, I would love to keep Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks. That is fairly reliable trio and then we have enough depth of starters to fill in the final two starter holes.

I think the Sox can afford Buehrle, but the problem is, if the Sox are looking at committing to a 2+ year rebuilding process, then spending $45 million on Mark! for the next 3 years is just not a good investment.

Plus, there's a real good chance dnaks is gone. He may put up numbers similar to Mark!, but he's going to get a contract twice as big.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I think the Sox can afford Buehrle, but the problem is, if the Sox are looking at committing to a 2+ year rebuilding process, then spending $45 million on Mark! for the next 3 years is just not a good investment.

Plus, there's a real good chance dnaks is gone. He may put up numbers similar to Mark!, but he's going to get a contract twice as big.

Both are gone, IMO.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
Both are gone, IMO.

If both are gone, we are in trouble. Floyd would be the only guy on our roster that would expect to pitch around 200 innings. Still have to stretch out guys like Sale and Humber.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 01:21 AM)
Give me a break. Buehrle just good in 05?

People hate on the guys who are reliable, the guys who have been around, the guys who deserve White Sox money.

They like the unknown ... like Adam Dunn, until they get here and suck.

Saying I love perhaps the best starter in White Sox history for just one season is bulls***.

How was Adam Dunn unknown?

2002: 26 HRs

2003: 27 HRs

2004: 46 HRs

2005: 40 HRs

2006: 40 HRs

2007: 40 HRs

2008: 40 HRs

2009: 38 HRs

2010: 38 HRs

It sucks how awful he was, but he was the most reliable power hitter around for 7+ years. That was not an "unknown". I would love to keep Mark around, but you have to pay him for what he will produce the next few years, not pay him the "White Sox money" that he deserves for the past decade. The past is the past and he was already paid for that. He needs to earn the future contract he signs as well, so you can't just give him what he wants if it's too much.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)

It sucks how awful he was, but he was the most reliable power hitter around for 7+ years. That was not an "unknown". I would love to keep Mark around, but you have to pay him for what he will produce the next few years, not pay him the "White Sox money" that he deserves for the past decade. The past is the past and he was already paid for that. He needs to earn the future contract he signs as well, so you can't just give him what he wants if it's too much.

NOT RELIABLE.

Just like how Buehrle was no longer reliable after '06

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
If both are gone, we are in trouble. Floyd would be the only guy on our roster that would expect to pitch around 200 innings. Still have to stretch out guys like Sale and Humber.

If both are gone we're in trouble? We were in trouble when they decided not to interview anybody except Robin Ventura for the manager position.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)

If anything Dunn was one of the most consistent players in all of baseball since 2003.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
Washington is definitely my pick of where he'll end up. They aren't afraid to open the wallet, and it's a good fit for Buehrle.

But would Mark really want to spend the last 2-3 years of his career on a team that probably can't contend for at least another few years?

Edited by coco1997

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
Washington is definitely my pick of where he'll end up. They aren't afraid to open the wallet, and it's a good fit for Buehrle.

Strasburg and Zimmermann are the main cogs to rotation, and Buehrle can be the veteran presence.

I'm going with KC if he leaves the Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
But would Mark really want to spend the last 2-3 years of his career on a team that probably can't contend for at least another few years?

Added wildcard possibly next year, and definitely by 2013. Harper and some other prospects can make them good pretty soon.