Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

The Sox didn't make an offer to Mark because they didn't wish to insult him...not because they didn't want him.

It's a shame that it's come to this, but I think both the White Sox and the Cardinals (w/ Pujols) were lucky in that other teams bailed them out of having to overpay for the face of their franchise.

While I think Mark will do well in Miami, I think this is the best for the White Sox as well.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
Interestingly, not offering Buehrle a contract creates the side benefit of protecting his legacy here. It's a gift to him, in a sense, in that there's no zero chance he gets the Thome treatment in CLE (even though the chance of that happening was tiny to begin with)

It also saves some money for the inevitable KW statue on the concourse, lol.

(I bet WSI is having a really hard time these days defending every organizational move...must be an ugly mood over there this past week.)

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

Sox Drawer: Buehrle says 'I'll be back'

December 11, 2011, 8:52 pm

Mark Buehrle feels like he's going on a '4-year break' and will be back with the White Sox somehow 'before you know it' - 12/11

Mark Buehrle might not be a part of the White Sox anymore, but if you ask Mark, the White Sox will forever be a part of him.

“I think I’ll always be a Chicago White Sox no matter what happens from here on out,” Buehrle said Sunday in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. “I kind of told some people, I said, ‘It’s just a four-year break. I’ll be back before you know it.’ Maybe I’ll be playing, maybe just bugging people in the clubhouse, just coming through getting fat and drinking a beer, having fun and watching the game as a fan. It’s just a four-year break, and I’ll be back before you know it.”

Mark will be 37 at the start of the 2016 season. As recent as last spring, he spoke about retiring. Does he really think he’ll still be playing after his contract runs out with the Marlins?

“I’m not going to sit here and say I’m going to retire after these four years, or that I’m looking for another four-year contract, or a one-year deal, because you know where that got me. If I’m feeling healthy in the end, I’ll come back and maybe play one more year and finish out in Chicago.”

At the end of last season Buehrle says he felt there was a “50-50 chance” of re-signing with the White Sox, but as the free agent process evolved he realized it likely wasn’t going to happen.

“To be honest, it would have been nice to have a last minute offer from them,” Buehrle said of the White Sox. “But I totally understand their situation. I don’t hold any ill will towards them. I don’t feel like they owed me to offer me a contract. I just think it was just one of those things where previous moves have been made that caused this to come to an end.”

Buehrle said that despite wanting a no-trade clause with the Marlins, he didn’t get one.

Were there really 14 teams that expressed interest in him?

“It was up there,” he said.

It eventually came down to four teams. He says his hometown St. Louis Cardinals did call at one point, but as for reports they were trying to trade either Kyle Lohse or Jake Westbrook at the last minute to make room for him in the rotation, Buehrle called those rumors “untrue.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)

I like his attitude. Four years from now is a long time. Who knows what could happen.

Interesting that he did not get the no-trade clause. I wonder if the Marlins have a bad year or two if he'd be traded somewhere else. The Marlins spent a ton of money, and if they have some bad times, Buehrle could be a prime trade target at the deadline (not necessarily this year, though).

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
I wonder if the Marlins have a bad year or two if he'd be traded somewhere else.

I'd strongly wager this is exactly what the Marlins were thinking when they offered up some of these contracts. They've successfully done it before.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
I like his attitude. Four years from now is a long time. Who knows what could happen.

Interesting that he did not get the no-trade clause. I wonder if the Marlins have a bad year or two if he'd be traded somewhere else. The Marlins spent a ton of money, and if they have some bad times, Buehrle could be a prime trade target at the deadline (not necessarily this year, though).

I have no doubt the Marlins will have a massive sell off within 5 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
I have no doubt the Marlins will have a massive sell off within 5 years.

The fact that they missed out on CJ and Albert actually makes this easier, IMO. Selling a 35 year old Pujols with $150 million left on his deal might have been pretty rough.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
The fact that they missed out on CJ and Albert actually makes this easier, IMO. Selling a 35 year old Pujols with $150 million left on his deal might have been pretty rough.

I don't know what MBs deal looks like on an annual basis, but Reyes deal is worth $66 million his last three years.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)

And if he's still productive at that time, and we need a back of the rotation starter, I would more than welcome him back

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
HOLY f***ING BACKLOADED CONTRACT

Buerhle with #Marlins: $6M in 12, 11M in 13, 18M in 14 and 19M in 15. Deal also includes 4M signing bonus, deferred without interest. #MLB

He's going to be untradeable anyways. I love Mark, but holy hell.

Wow. The Marlins could be in some serious s*** come 2014 and 2015. Isn't Reyes due $66 million over the last 3 years of his contract?

You're right. No one will trade for Mark unless the Marlins pick up a lot of the money.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Wow. The Marlins could be in some serious s*** come 2014 and 2015. Isn't Reyes due $66 million over the last 3 years of his contract?

You're right. No one will trade for Mark unless the Marlins pick up a lot of the money.

The contract offered to Pujols was backloaded as well. I think Loria is hoping to win, make a ton of money, sell and let the balance of the contracts be someone else's problem.

If this team flops and attendance doesn't remain high, firesale in Miami.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
The contract offered to Pujols was backloaded as well. I think Loria is hoping to win, make a ton of money, sell and let the balance of the contracts be someone else's problem.

If this team flops and attendance doesn't remain high, firesale in Miami.

This is exactly what they did with Carlos Delgado's contract.

2005 33 Florida Marlins $4,000,000

2006 34 New York Mets $13,500,000

2007 35 New York Mets $14,500,000

2008 36 New York Mets $16,000,000

2009 37 New York Mets $12,000,000

Buerhle with #Marlins: $6M in 12, 11M in 13, 18M in 14 and 19M in 15. Deal also includes 4M signing bonus, deferred without interest. #MLB

Holy mother of god.

This team is made to be blown up.