Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

If he does, I know I couldn't blame him. I can only imagine at what being caught up in a terror attack like that would do to my mind. Hell, if I hear a plane over downtown Chicago, I stop and watch it until it clears the skyline. And I was 1000 miles away on 9/11!

Are you Juan Williams?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...rce=twitterfeed

Tigers no threat to sign Buehrle

November 28, 2011, 3:03 pm

Detroit reportedly has interest in Mark Buehrle, but don't expect him to sign there. (US Presswire)

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

Per a report from the Detroit News, the Tigers are one of several teams that have inquired about free agent Mark Buehrle. But don't panic -- Buehrle won't end up in Detroit.

Between Justin Verlander, Doug Fister, Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello, Detroit has four of its rotation spots already filled for 2012. Top prospect Jacob Turner could be the last man in the rotation, although former first-round pick Andy Oliver could be a possibility to get a starting role as well.

Detroit's four veteran starters are under team control through at least 2014, so unless one was dealt away signing Buehrle to a three-year deal would block Turner or Oliver from the rotation for a few years. That doesn't make sense, and Detroit should spend its money elsewhere -- like on Aramis Ramirez.

The Tigers had the 4th best offense in the AL last year and the 7th best starting rotation ERA (despite having a guy put up a dominant season at #1).

Clearly, they need to spend more on offense. Yeah, that's right Detroit, you go after those bats.

I agree, they should be looking at pitching.. anywhere. I don't see Verlander Duplicating 2011, and that's going to be a major downfall for them come 2012, if they think he can come close to that performnce.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
If Buehrle doesn't re-sign, he loses 10-5 eligibility. I'd think that it would be a factor late in his next contract unless he gets a NTC.

I can't imagine him signing a deal where he doesn't get no-trade protection. I really can't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
In both cases, it would be letting a key member of our team go to the division rival who won the division last year because we didn't want the guy back enough to offer a fair deal. The money numbers are different, but there's a lot of comparison there. Especially when that player beats our heads in for several years afterwards.

Soft tossing lefty with good control and a changeup? Mark may no-hit the Sox 6 times in the next few years if he winds up in detroit.

I agree with Rogers and his article in todays Tribune. I believe that KW and bad decsions just caught up with themselves especially if he lets Mark Buerhle walk. He has made some blunders and might have finally outsmarted himself.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
I agree with Rogers and his article in todays Tribune. I believe that KW and bad decsions just caught up with themselves especially if he lets Mark Buerhle walk. He has made some blunders and might have finally outsmarted himself.

If Kenny Williams has any desire to compete in the next 2 years, M-56 has to be back. If Kenny Williams wants to undertake a full rebuilding, he can let Mark go.

For my eyes, I think you have to just say that Kenny Williams is starting over at ground level right now. He offered to resign, his offer was turned down. Now his job is to do the best he can with what he has available to himself. That means making the right decision now about whether to try to go again this year or selling hard on the in-demand assets he does have, with the total salary he can spend hanging over his head.. The time to focus on previous blunders was when he offered to resign

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
If Kenny Williams has any desire to compete in the next 2 years, M-56 has to be back. If Kenny Williams wants to undertake a full rebuilding, he can let Mark go.

For my eyes, I think you have to just say that Kenny Williams is starting over at ground level right now. He offered to resign, his offer was turned down. Now his job is to do the best he can with what he has available to himself. That means making the right decision now about whether to try to go again this year or selling hard on the in-demand assets he does have, with the total salary he can spend hanging over his head.. The time to focus on previous blunders was when he offered to resign

Good post.

I think time is the problem here, though. Kenny needs to move some money, to spend money on M56. Other teams know this. I think the game Kenny is playing here, is to get the best possible offers on the table for guys like Quentin, Thornton, Danks and Floyd... wait until M56 and his agent say "let's lay it out on the table on Date X"... then decide if the moves he has available to him can clear room for Mark AND get him decent return. If he can, look for 2 or 3 deals in quick succession, followed by Mark signing with the Sox. If he can't watch for 4 or 5 deals in slower succession, and no Mark.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)

If MB is allowed to walk plus some other rumored trades occur, then in my opinion the Sox will be bottom dwellers for at least three years. Regardless I place the blame squarely on the bad past and maybe future decisions made by Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:15 AM)
Mark is sorry that his career 4.21 ERA in September is inadequate for you.

Looking at his career numbers, he's been even worse in September than I thought (compared to other months, and I'm referring only to Buehrle and not league average pitchers, etc).

Highest ERA month by .16

Highest WHIP by .1

Highest batting average by 15 points

His second half ERA is nearly .5 runs more than his first half ERA

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Good post.

I think time is the problem here, though. Kenny needs to move some money, to spend money on M56. Other teams know this. I think the game Kenny is playing here, is to get the best possible offers on the table for guys like Quentin, Thornton, Danks and Floyd... wait until M56 and his agent say "let's lay it out on the table on Date X"... then decide if the moves he has available to him can clear room for Mark AND get him decent return. If he can, look for 2 or 3 deals in quick succession, followed by Mark signing with the Sox. If he can't watch for 4 or 5 deals in slower succession, and no Mark.

As I have said before, Jerry Reinsdorf is the wild card here. He is the one who can decide to bring Buehrle back, and set the dominoes in motion to have most of the team back again. Or he can set Mark free and start the rebuilding process now. I wonder what is going on in Jerry's head right now, because that is what really matters here. I think for the most part we know that Jerry pulls a lot of strings behind the scenes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Looking at his career numbers, he's been even worse in September than I thought (compared to other months, and I'm referring only to Buehrle and not league average pitchers, etc).

Highest ERA month by .16

Highest WHIP by .1

Highest batting average by 15 points

His second half ERA is nearly .5 runs more than his first half ERA

Which all goes to why Cooper has been trying to limit his innings for a while now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
jonmorosi Jon Morosi

Mark Buehrle being pursued by a number of teams right now, including #Angels #Nats #RedSox #Rangers #Yankees #Marlins.

I hope he finds a new team by the end of the Winter Meetings. Get this thing over with.

Prediction: He signs with the Nationals next Wednesday. 4/$58m

I'm prepared for the Buehrle era to be over. It's time.

He's getting too much interest not to get offered a s***-ton of money that the Sox can only match by having Jerry step in and authorize big time money that the team honestly can't afford right now. The Sox are not going to compete next season and Jerry needs to realize that. having Mark around with an awful team behind him is just appeasing the fans with popular players instead of wins. The right choice needs to be made.

I still think there is a better than even chance he ends up here. Not just Rock's source, but also, I am fairly certain that bottled up demand for guys like Quentin, Thornton and Danks/Floyd will allow KW to make a big trade or two cutting salary, keep the other one of Floyd/Danks, and sign M56.

I'm not sure by any stretch, but if I was forced to bet on a team, it would still be the Sox.