Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

Buehrle was possibly the only Sox player the last two years who didn't say anything negative about Ozzie and/or KW's interactions. I hope Buehrle does well in Florida, and I'm not going to fault him for taking the biggest deal out there. My outrage at the Sox would have been much higher if he only signed for like 3/35 somewhere.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Buehrle is a hypocrite crap is so wrong. Mark may have said things in the past about what he might do in the future, but he never made promises or guarantees. He was merely speculating in a vacuum without knowing what the situation would actually be. And what he said he might like to do wasn't an option for him. He is one of the greatest Sox players of his generation and people here are calling him names and acting like high school girls who didn't get asked to prom. Seriously, people.

Good luck, Mark. I can't stand Ozzie, so I won't root for your team, but I will root for you. Hopefully your NL dominance continues.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Christ, they were the highest bidder on Reyes by $15M-$25M from what I've read, $27M to the incredibly scary Heath Bell and now they've guaranteed Buehrle 4 years. Talk about crazy risk.

I have a funny feeling we are going to be hearing about a Marlins franchise Kalapse within 5 years.

(see what I did there)

Loria seems to be pulling a reverse Major League here. I'm going to OVERspend, people still won't move the turnstiles and I'm moving my franchise to a more lucrative location so I can make back some of that phat cash I dished out. The onus is on you South Florida.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
I have a funny feeling we are going to be hearing about a Marlins franchise Kalapse within 5 years.

(see what I did there)

Loria seems to be pulling a reverse Major League here. I'm going to OVERspend, people still won't move the turnstiles and I'm moving my franchise to a more lucrative location so I can make back some of that phat cash I dished out. The onus is on you South Florida.

Doubt they can move out anytime soon with the new ballpark.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
Looking forward to greg and elrockins/sunofgold's reactions. Those should be doozies.

That was my first thought, and I'm completely serious. It's going to be the worst thing about this move.

And I officially will not care if Buehrle's arm falls off anymore.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
Thank you.

yeah well betcha he doesn't go to florida if Ozzie wasn't there. s*** happens. Things change. He never made any promises or guarantees, just said what he felt in the moment. If the Cardinals had come knocking guarantee he'd have gone there in a heartbeat, but they didn't so he had to do what was the best for him and his family. And if he felt the white sox weren't gonna match, or even try to keep him, then it was his prerogative to leave. I can't fault him for any of that.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
This Buehrle is a hypocrite crap is so wrong. Mark may have said things in the past about what he might do in the future, but he never made promises or guarantees. He was merely speculating in a vacuum without knowing what the situation would actually be. And what he said he might like to do wasn't an option for him. He is one of the greatest Sox players of his generation and people here are calling him names and acting like high school girls who didn't get asked to prom. Seriously, people.

Good luck, Mark. I can't stand Ozzie, so I won't root for your team, but I will root for you. Hopefully your NL dominance continues.

Apparently that's going to be the go-to response, even when people have said repeatedly that they don't want him back. But mud slinging usually works better!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
yeah well betcha he doesn't go to florida if Ozzie wasn't there. s*** happens. Things change. He never made any promises or guarantees, just said what he felt in the moment. If the Cardinals had come knocking guarantee he'd have gone there in a heartbeat, but they didn't so he had to do what was the best for him and his family. And if he felt the white sox weren't gonna match, or even try to keep him, then it was his prerogative to leave. I can't fault him for any of that.

It's pretty clearly all about getting the 4th year added to the deal. Every media member was saying last night that the first team to give him the 4th year gets him. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with Ozzie being there.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)

It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. I can't argue that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
It's pretty clearly all about getting the 4th year added to the deal. Every media member was saying last night that the first team to give him the 4th year gets him. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with Ozzie being there.

I wouldn't say nothing...but it probably wasn't the deciding factor.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)

the Nats offered it too

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
For four years and this amount of money?

dunno the money but they offered 4 years.

listen i'm sure it wasn't THE deciding factor - but if Ozzie's not in Florida I have a hard time believing Mark would've been leaning that way at all if he had similar offers from other teams. Ozzie was probably the tipping point. They're great friends

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. I can't argue that.

If you are indeed doing what I think - referring to Buehrle in the female form - then that is a classless shame.

I will say this about the Marlins signing - I'm very happy that JR didn't step in and play favorites. Hopefully it's a sign that we are indeed going to be seeing a true rebuild.

Trade em all.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)

I agree he wanted a final big payday and security which he got and good for mark, he gave the sox 12 great seasons, he probably didn't wanna go through a rebuild at this stage in his carrer. Players move on so do we, thanks mark you were a hell of a player for us, but you've moved on so will I. I bet if the sox were in the hunt for him he would have stayed here no doubt. In hindsight Kenny sould have traded him at the deadline, they knew he wasn't comming back, hawk knew too when he said what he said in Mark's final game. Now Kenny you're on the clock to start the rebuild.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
So the compensation is still the same, right? I don't have the new CBA rules all down yet.

we get a draft pick, but not 1st rounder because marlins were in the bottom half of teams.

dumb.