Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
That said, the bigger reason I don't want them to pay-up to sign him is because we are not winning a WS with this line-up and the couple muppets like Rios and Dunn we are committed to. I would rather them use the money to sign some younger players or develop options with the money while we are in re-building mode. There's a lot more we could do with $30+ million than watch one of our favorite players diminish into the sunset .... Let him do that in Florida with the other elderly folk

Fully agree. I hope Mark doesn't want to stick around in this White Sox mess and desires to sign with a competitive team. Maybe the Rangers make a run at him if they are unable to keep CJ. Resigning MB just makes this team more "in between."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
I'd be more upset to see somewhere like NY or Boston, or even Detroit, versus the Cubs or Marlins.

How does that make sense? You can't fault someone for wanting to go to a team with a great chance at the title. That's why going to Cubs would make NO sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
How does that make sense? You can't fault someone for wanting to go to a team with a great chance at the title. That's why going to Cubs would make NO sense.

Buehrle has never been about going to chase a title or money. It has always been about being comfortable somewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

Reports say Mark Buehrle starts FA process w/trip to Miami. He's in demand, and all but gone from #whitesox.

If he's in high demand, I don't see the Sox being able to match some of the offers he will get. I'm thinking he re-signs with the Sox only with a discount, and a pretty decent one at that. I could see him getting a 3 or 4 year deal worth $15 million per.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
For some reason I have always just assumed that they would work out a deal with Mark. If all these reports are true, it sounds like he is probably gone. That sucks.

I remember hearing the same things about Konerko before he eventually came back. I'll say this though.. it's interesting cause the sox supposedly aren't "all in" this off-season like they were when they brought back Pauly and A.J. so that could be the dagger there.

Like Ace said, isn't this the exact same thing that happened with Konerko, let him find the best offer out there and give the Sox the last chance. I think we all need to relax just a bit, we don't even know what the offers are yet. And if Phil Rogers is saying he's gone then that is a good sign, because he is mostly wrong on Sox news.

Edited by Greyone

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Can you imagine Mark pitching against last year's Sox lineup?

He would have breezed through it with that effortless style of his.

I guess Paulie would be his one problem out, though. Paulie might be the one Sox to whack him around.

Mark pitched against quite a few offenses worse than the Sox last year. Seattle, Minnesota.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
espnchijon jon greenberg

For their sake I hope Marlins took Buehrle to Miami zoo and told him he can shoot whatever he likes.

You would think ozzie would have known that showing Mark the South Beach scene isnt exactly right up his alley. He likes to be near his hunting ground in Mizzou

QUOTE (Greyone @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Like Ace said, isn't this the exact same thing that happened with Konerko, let him find the best offer out there and give the Sox the last chance. I think we all need to relax just a bit, we don't even know what the offers are yet. And if Phil Rogers is saying he's gone then that is a good sign, because he is mostly wrong on Sox news.

It was a damn good 5th post.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)

I actually thought he was right, but I went back through MLB Trade Rumors's site, and virtually every post about Konerko and another team had the caveat "but he's still expected to return to the Sox."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)

Heh, thanks.

Buehrle is going to have interest, but the things we don't know are how much, and how much. So far we hear that about five teams have interest, and that the Yankees are on the fringe. The second thing that we don't know is how much $$$ are these teams going to offer him. I don't think any team is going to shower Mark with more than $15, he is good, he is reliable, but he is not worth more than that. I think if the Sox make a respectful offer he'll stay, and if somebody overpays he'll have a decision to make. Yes it'll stink if we lose him, but it wouldn't be the end of the world, it wouldn't be the end of next season.

If you re hoping that Mark stays I think the teams you are rooting for to make an offer are the Cubs, and Marlins. I don't think JR would let him leave to either of those two teams, but that is just pure speculation. :)