Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
I tend to agree with you. But it may well have limited their ability to discuss contract extensions previous to free agency which could have wrapped him up at a more manageable salary.

In the end, it's on KW for creating a team situation which requires a rebuild, no matter what aspect of the team you blame most. The GM ultimately has the most control over a team's destiny, aside from the players themselves. That said, my complaints are retrospective. I have no problem with the club's decision not to retain Buehrle at that rate, I just wish it wasn't so because I heart him.

I don't understand why so many people keep saying this. Of course it is on him. He is the GM. I think last year he had a good plan. He signed Dunn who was very consistent until last year. Rios had a pretty good year the previous year. The only problem with the plan for last year that I had was no proven closer. It wwas a good plan but didn't work. Either way it's always on him as he is the GM.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
This is all on Ozzie for letting his team come into the season woefully unprepared 2 years in a row.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
GOD HE'S A f***ING MORON.

1.) You really think Ozzie mismanaged them during the spring? I find it hard to believe he suddenly didn't know how to run a spring training to get 'em prepared. Evidence?

2.) Really? Have we stooped so low on soxtalk we're allowed to waste posts by calling people names like moron? I go out of my way to avoid calling Sox management types and players names so I don't get banned.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
I have a lot more faith that Dunn can turn it around than Rios actually playing like he gives a damn.

I agree. And you know, they may be linked. But Dunn has to go first.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Can't blame 56 for wanting to get paid.

Thank you Mark for all the great memories!

Totally agree, and I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox had overpaid to keep him. He'll definitely be missed.

However, I'll bet the Marlins just paid at least $1 Million per victory over the next four years.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
I don't understand why so many people keep saying this. Of course it is on him. He is the GM. I think last year he had a good plan. He signed Dunn who was very consistent until last year. Rios had a pretty good year the previous year. The only problem with the plan for last year that I had was no proven closer. It wwas a good plan but didn't work. Either way it's always on him as he is the GM.

I think my point is that there's nobody to blame but him if you're looking to bestow blame for Buehrle's departure, but I have no criticism of the two biggest moves that put the team in such a bad position: the Peavy trade and the Dunn signing. Dunn looked like he would put us over the top and appeared to be about right price-wise.

And I still don't feel bad about what I said (other than the him getting injured part). I hope he flops miserably, especially now that he's back with what's his name. Atleast he'll be comfortable, I guess.

I do think it would be sweet if he were terrible and Reyes got hurt and the Marlins won 70 games this year. That would be awesome.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
1.) You really think Ozzie mismanaged them during the spring? I find it hard to believe he suddenly didn't know how to run a spring training to get 'em prepared. Evidence?

2.) Really? Have we stooped so low on soxtalk we're allowed to waste posts by calling people names like moron? I go out of my way to avoid calling Sox management types and players names so I don't get banned.

Look at the teams April records over the last few years.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
Totally agree, and I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox had overpaid to keep him. He'll definitely be missed.

However, I'll bet the Marlins just paid at least $1 Million per victory over the next four years.

I'd bet closer to $1.5.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
I'd bet closer to $1.5.

With the Marlin's new look? I think he can continue winning 14-15 games a season. If I had to pick from two choices, win 17 or win 10, I would take 17. Do you really think he will drop to 10 wins per season?

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 07:47 AM)
With the Marlin's new look? I think he can continue winning 14-15 games a season. If I had to pick from two choices, win 17 or win 10, I would take 17. Do you really think he will drop to 10 wins per season?

I would be shocked if he gets to 50 wins at the end of his deal. His arm is falling off, he is going to have to hit, and I'm not sure the Marlins survive in their current form to the 4th year of his deal, let alone Mark does.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)

Unless the Marlins have signed Fielder when I wasn't looking, they're still no offensive juggernaut.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
Unless the Marlins have signed Fielder when I wasn't looking, they're still no offensive juggernaut.

Ramirez, Reyes, Stanton and Logan Morrison alone have the potential to be more dangerous than our entire 1-9 offense if Konerko fades at the end of his contract and Beckham/Dunn/Rios continue to flail away like Don Quixote.

Pair that with their pitching and they'll be very dangerous. Assuming that Ozzie can neutralize the threat of Ramirez blowing up the team chemistry single-handedly.

Edited by caulfield12

I like Mark but am glad they didn't sign him for that kind of money. And I don't think it was because we had Dunn, Rios, etc. He just isn't worth that in this stage of his career, especially in years 3 and 4. I can see him having a good year this year. After that, not so much. Money better spent elsewhere for the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Look at the teams April records over the last few years.

You make a good point there.

I would love to ask AJ or somebody if they thought Oz ran a lousy spring training during his tenure.

I guess it's possible, but my guess it was the same as always.

It was frustrating that hardly anybody on the team could lay down a bunt (Lexi's bunting style and Beckham's both were laughable) considering the manager likes the bunt. I don't know if Ozzie stressed it, worked on it at all or what.

I haven't seen any player comments on whether or not spring training was the reason for our flops. My guess is underachieving talent had more to do with it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
You make a good point there.

I would love to ask AJ or somebody if they thought Oz ran a lousy spring training during his tenure.

I guess it's possible, but my guess it was the same as always.

It was frustrating that hardly anybody on the team could lay down a bunt (Lexi's bunting style and Beckham's both were laughable) considering the manager likes the bunt. I don't know if Ozzie stressed it, worked on it at all or what.

I haven't seen any player comments on whether or not spring training was the reason for our flops. My guess is underachieving talent had more to do with it.

So if the talent is there, but it is underachieving, whose fault is that???

Buehrle just on CSN, called today a sad day. Said he never received an offer from the Sox, said when things were going to go down, went back to the

Sox for some sort of offer, not neccessarily a match, and the Sox declined. So he confirmed the Sox never made him an offer. I think its pretty hard to call a guy a hypocrite when the team apparently didn't want him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
Buehrle just on CSN, called today a sad day. Said he never received an offer from the Sox, said when things were going to go down, went back to the

Sox for some sort of offer, not neccessarily a match, and the Sox declined. So he confirmed the Sox never made him an offer. I think its pretty hard to call a guy a hypocrite when the team apparently didn't want him.

Calling him a hypocrite has been and continues to be a disgrace.