Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
I hope the White Sox do not re-sign MB, as much as I would be sad to see him in another uniform. We all know he is going to maximize a 'walk-off' contract and while it would be nice to see him play out his career on the Southside, we don't want to pay to see that happen here.

That said, the bigger reason I don't want them to pay-up to sign him is because we are not winning a WS with this line-up and the couple muppets like Rios and Dunn we are committed to. I would rather them use the money to sign some younger players or develop options with the money while we are in re-building mode. There's a lot more we could do with $30+ million than watch one of our favorite players diminish into the sunset .... Let him do that in Florida with the other elderly folk

I agree with this as well. The problem is, that I do not see the Sox spending the $30 million in prospects (as they should, BTW), even if they had the money. It is going to take years of miserable failure for this organization to change its ways.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...tm_medium=email

As planned, Mark Buehrle's free agent tour officially began on Tuesday when he toured the new Miami Marlins ballpark and met with good friend Ozzie Guillen.

Buehrle is one of several top free agents the Marlins are reportedly pursuing, along with shortstop Jose Reyes, pitcher C.J. Wilson and first baseman Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.

Buehrle already has one current Marlin in his corner.

"It would be great for the team as a whole. He's a leader in the clubhouse and would really help out the rotation,' Marlins ace Josh Johnson said Tuesday in a text message to the Palm Beach Post.

Buehrle has no shortage of suitors this offseason as the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees and Texas Rangers are all believed to have interest in the veteran southpaw. Of course, there is still a strong likelihood he returns to the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Noting the source...

cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

According to a Sox source, Buehrle has told the team no hometown discount coming this time around. There are about 10 teams interested.

Does Cowley not realize that Ozzie no longer works for the Sox, so can no longer be considered a "Sox source."

Noting the source...

cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

According to a Sox source, Buehrle has told the team no hometown discount coming this time around. There are about 10 teams interested.

And that's fine. If Mark gets paid a lot by another team, good for him. To me, what we're hearing about all the interest and Mark's apparent interest in the money is in contrast to what he has said in the past. He's talked about retirement more than making money...not that I believed for a minute he would retire after this season.

And, yes, consider the source. Most other things I've seen and heard have 5 teams interested. I'm sure there are ten teams that would like to have Buehrle, but I imagine 5 or fewer teams could pay him what he should get.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
Over pay him. Give him mad deferred payment and a players option. I don't care.

I just love Mark to much to stomach the thought of him in another uniform.

No, do not do this. I can stomach Buehrle in another uniform, but only a certain few and under the right circumstances. I don't want him to turn out to be a hypocrite, but I'm afraid that that's exactly what he'll prove to be.

Noting the source...

cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

1. Cowley doesnt have a Sox source

2. His agent told the Sox that they were his first choice and would come back to them with market interest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
1. Cowley doesnt have a Sox source

2. His agent told the Sox that they were his first choice and would come back to them with market interest.

Mark is doing due diligence by finding what the market is setting for him, and Im sure he'll give the Sox every opportunity to match it. Any player doing anything else is fairly stupid imo, unless of course the home team blows them away with an offer right away.

I don't mind Buehrle in the NL with any team except the cuBS. But, he is a Cards fan, thus that doesn't seem likely. Buehrle could do well in the NL.

Miami wouldn't be bad. Miami could be where we send our favorite players when we cannot afford to pay them anymore. Thornton and Quentin can go there as well.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Mark doesn't owe us a hometown discount. I hope he's back, because he's fun, but I will root for him anywhere.

f*** that. He signs with a team in the AL Central, the Yank Sawx (that's two teams), or the Marlins, and I hope that shoulder finally f***ing gives and his fastball only reaches 78. I love Mark Buehrle to death, but those are the 7 teams I do not want him signing with and I will hope for him to fail any time he pitches with those teams.

In 2006, he put up a 4.99 ERA. In late July of the following season, the White Sox guaranteed him that he'd be set for life and that he'd have a steady income for the following 4 years, and if he ended up anywhere outside of Chicago before his 10/5 rights kicked in, it'd be an extra mill per year along with another year on top.

Mark Buehrle has a title. He was a key member of that title. The f***er should have gotten a win and a save in consecutive games of said World Series (that is not justification for a hometown discount, merely a cool thought).

Bottomline is, he SHOULD give the Sox a hometown discount, and I think he WOULD, given the circumstance. Even if his agent says they "are not giving a hometown discount," I do not believe it. That is agent talk for "we want more money." I do believe Konerko's agent said the same last year. If the Sox don't want to play ball, then Buehrle's party will play ball with anybody else.

If the Sox offer him 4/$60, I think he takes that over 5/$75 from anybody else. If the Sox offer him 5/$70, I think he takes that over 5/$80.

Bottomline, he should go where he is comfortable. I'd s*** bricks if he went to the Cubs (because he's not a "Theo" pitcher and whatever else), but if that's where he was given the best opportunity and wanted to see more of the country on a semi-regular basis, then good for him. I'd prefer to see him go to the Cards in that situation, but they have a bigger obstacle on their plate.

---

I still think he ends up back with the Sox. I think it's very similar in value to the deal he signed in 2007, but with a team option with a very expensive buyout, similar to the 4/$60 I posted ($14 mill a year, say $18 option, $4 buyout, making him essentially worth $14 mill to the Sox in '15).

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
CSN just threw the figure of 4 years $60 million out there.

Not surprising. If he truly is being wooed by 5-10 teams and some team really wants him and is willing to pay...

The four years seems a little high, but you never know. I don't see the Sox coming close to an offer like that. I imagine the highest the Sox might go is 3/$36 million, and that might be pushing it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:37 AM)
f*** that. He signs with a team in the AL Central, the Yank Sawx (that's two teams), or the Marlins, and I hope that shoulder finally f***ing gives and his fastball only reaches 78. I love Mark Buehrle to death, but those are the 7 teams I do not want him signing with and I will hope for him to fail any time he pitches with those teams.

In 2006, he put up a 4.99 ERA. In late July of the following season, the White Sox guaranteed him that he'd be set for life and that he'd have a steady income for the following 4 years, and if he ended up anywhere outside of Chicago before his 10/5 rights kicked in, it'd be an extra mill per year along with another year on top.

Mark Buehrle has a title. He was a key member of that title. The f***er should have gotten a win and a save in consecutive games of said World Series (that is not justification for a hometown discount, merely a cool thought).

Bottomline is, he SHOULD give the Sox a hometown discount, and I think he WOULD, given the circumstance. Even if his agent says they "are not giving a hometown discount," I do not believe it. That is agent talk for "we want more money." I do believe Konerko's agent said the same last year. If the Sox don't want to play ball, then Buehrle's party will play ball with anybody else.

If the Sox offer him 4/$60, I think he takes that over 5/$75 from anybody else. If the Sox offer him 5/$70, I think he takes that over 5/$80.

Bottomline, he should go where he is comfortable. I'd s*** bricks if he went to the Cubs (because he's not a "Theo" pitcher and whatever else), but if that's where he was given the best opportunity and wanted to see more of the country on a semi-regular basis, then good for him. I'd prefer to see him go to the Cards in that situation, but they have a bigger obstacle on their plate.

---

I still think he ends up back with the Sox. I think it's very similar in value to the deal he signed in 2007, but with a team option with a very expensive buyout, similar to the 4/$60 I posted ($14 mill a year, say $18 option, $4 buyout, making him essentially worth $14 mill to the Sox in '15).

I like the idea of the Sox giving him the last year as a buyout with a nice kicker to make the contract similar.

The Sox already are coping with the potential loss of staff ace Mark Buehrle, although assistant GM Rick Hahn spoke with agent Jeff Berry last week and will continue talks. But the Sox already have earmarked $91.75 million to 13 players for 2012, and Williams admitted the payroll will be "a little bit less" than last season's club-record $127 million.
Link

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...tm_medium=email

FanGraphs' Dave Cameron profiled Mark Buehrle and dug up this interesting nugget: Over the course of his career, 10.1 percent of the runs Buehrle has allowed have been unearned.

That's really not a shocking revelation, as Buehrle has always been a pitcher who allows quite a bit of contact. Even if that contact is sometimes weak -- thanks to his cutter/changeup combination -- it's still contact, and at the risk of sounding too obvious, balls in play give fielders chances to make errors.

But here's where things get tricky. Alexei Ramirez has made the sixth-most errors in baseball since he moved to shortstop in 2009, but that doesn't mean he's a bad defensive shortstop. By Ultimate Zone Rating (for which three years is a reliable sample size), Ramirez has rated as a top-three defender. And by the other major advanced fielding metric, Defensive Runs Saved, Ramirez rates as a top-six shortstop.

Of course, Ramirez is just one infielder who's played behind Buehrle during his long tenure with the White Sox. But Buehrle's been blessed with strong defenders on the left side of the infield for the majority of his time with the White Sox -- at shortstop Royce Clayton, Jose Valentin, Juan Uribe, Orlando Cabrera and Ramirez all have rated as above average, while Joe Crede took the bulk of the innings at third base.

Buehrle's second basemen haven't been as good in terms of range, but guys like Tadahito Iguchi and Ray Durham generally made fewer errors than their left-side counterparts.

What does this have to do with Buehrle?

Cameron argues that Buehrle's career ERA of 3.83 is a few points lower than perhaps it should be thanks to that 10 percent unearned run rate. He sees Buehrle as more a 3.90 ERA pitcher than a 3.80 ERA one, which really isn't unfair.

If Buehrle had worse defensive infields behind him -- ones without as much range -- over the course of his career, his ERA would probably be in that 3.90 range.

This isn't meant to disparage Buehrle at all -- few pitchers are as durable as he is and few are less prone to wild fluctuations in full-season performance. But it's more of a caution: if Buehrle does leave behind Brent Morel, Ramirez and Gordon Beckham for, say, an infield that includes Hanley Ramirez or Derek Jeter, his ERA may go up even if he doesn't change anything.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:37 AM)

---

Thankfully somebody finally said it.