Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
I don't see money as the issue for this team. I know others do, but we already pay that $12M or so a year anyway to MB. Offer a couple million more and four years and it's not going to break the bank, but might keep our core nucleus together and mix in younger players and we will stay in contention.

Slippery slope.

You know better than this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Considering you are the king of hyperbole, this post is hilariously ironic. I can name countless examples, but I have no need. Ace, as far as I'm aware, still has it in his sig.

Has what in his sig? That I was wrong thinking LeBron James wasn't a gigantic p****? How is that relevant.

I can go on a giant rant about "how I've been on the internetz longerz then u bro" and "I'm such a hardcore fan that I knew Adam Dunnz was gonnaz turn it aroundz" but no. I'm the terrible fan.

I don't even know what you are talking about, here. This might be the lamest sentence I've ever seen written on "the internetz". I hoped Dunn would turn it around, and I'm still shocked he fell on his face. Being wrong about things =/= being a jackass who hopes injury on a guy like Mark Buehrle.

I'm the terrible fan.

At least you can admit it.

If Buehrle signed with Detroit, would you hope for his success?

I certainly wouldn't hope for him to get injured.

"Against everyone except us!" except there is no us, there is a baseball team and their lack of knowledge of you, personally, Steve9347. Sure, you're ticket broker knows who you are, but does Mark Buehrle care? Does Brent Lillibridge care? Does Dylan Axelrod care? Does Brooks Boyer even care?

How about Minnesota? Cleveland? Kansas City? Boston? New York? Yomiuri? Miami?

Probably not Miami. You're used to stars spurning Chicago for the "bright lights" of Miami now, aren't you?

None of this really makes any sense. The White Sox don't give a damn about me, either. Mark Buehrle has been a blast to follow. Wishing injury upon him was one of the dumbest things I've read on this message board, and there's been a lot... this includes my guaranteeing that LeBron James wouldn't fly to Miami with his tail between his legs to become Dwyane Wade's b****. That shocked me, and I still think it was a moronic move for "King James" to become a sidekick. I still don't see how predictions = being a jackass and hoping injury upon Mark Buehrle if he spurns a team that's clearly on the decline for a free agency payday.

It's the real world, and I certainly don't think everything the White Sox do is great and every human out there who says something negative about the franchise is an idiot. I also certainly would never wish injury upon a man who helped the White Sox win a World Series, has web gems galore, slides on the tarp on rainy days (even if it is moronic), has a no-hitter and a Perfect Game, and is an upstanding citizen.

Apparently, this is the line you draw between you being super awesome stats Sox fan, and my just being a baseball fan who loves the White Sox and can take some pleasure in also rooting for players.

You're acting like an Indians' fan that boos Jim Thome.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 06:05 AM)
Just wondering, how did Mark become indebted to the organization that he should give a hometown discount? Isn't that like the employee buying the owner a gold watch?

I think the consensus is that Mark should not be expected to give a hometown discount. Like I've said, if he can make the money elsewhere, good for him. What makes me scratch my head is hearing that he's going after the money (which may or may not be true). Everything Mark has said in the past leads me to believe that he will make a decision based on what is best for his family, which seems to be staying near the midwest. I personally think Mark will re-sign with the Sox, but he could end up with the Marlins (because of Ozzie). I'd be very surprised if he signs with the likes of the Yankees or Bo Sox.

Back to the issue of Mark giving a hometown discount, I think it would actually be the opposite where the Sox should be more willing to pay him a bit more than they normally would. I'm not saying they should match or beat a 4/$60 million offer (for example), but maybe offer 3/$36 vs. 2/$22.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
Fine.

polls_round_2_3801_523562_poll_xlarge.jp

Wait, you originally cut out the hot chick on purpose?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 06:05 AM)
Just wondering, how did Mark become indebted to the organization that he should give a hometown discount? Isn't that like the employee buying the owner a gold watch?

For me, it's all about him being a hypocrite by signing with certain teams.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 01:57 AM)
Slippery slope.

You know better than this.

I think this is the way to build winning teams not trading away, or letting the good ones walk, just becaue you don't win the world series every year. I have no desire to be involved in a mass rebuilding phase every year. I think that there are now many ways to build a winning team and trading away our better players for unproven so called young talent is at the bottom of the list at least if you want to remain competitive

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
I think this is the way to build winning teams not trading away, or letting the good ones walk, just becaue you don't win the world series every year. I have no desire to be involved in a mass rebuilding phase every year. I think that there are now many ways to build a winning team and trading away our better players for unproven so called young talent is at the bottom of the list at least if you want to remain competitive

I agree with every syllable of this.

not

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
I didn't realize it was 1993 again! I'm going to go listen to some Pearl Jam. And I think Gene Lamont might be coaching the Sox.

1993 was a fun year and I think Lamont might be with the Cards soon :lolhitting

Edited by elrockinMT

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4622596.story

When ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick surveyed major league executives anonymously, he found that almost twice as many (14-8) believe Buehrle will “perform over the course of his free agent deal’’ better than C.J. Wilson, viewed through conventional wisdom as the top arm in the crop of big-league free agents. "I know C.J. Wilson is a great story, and he's obviously pitched well," one GM said. "But I don't see knockout stuff, and his arm action concerns me a little bit. Buehrle quietly has been pretty rock-solid for a long time. He works fast and throws with no effort. His recipe seems built to last."

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

KW sounded less than lukewarm on the prospects of Buehrle returning.

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

KW tried his best to sound optimistic on Buehrle. Didn't sound good though.

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Williams on Buehrle had pessimistic, realistic feel: "There’s a time for everyone to come. There’s a time for everyone to go.''

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Edited by DirtySox

I could, but I'm really not that angry about it...I was more pissed about being called a terrible fan than anything else (which is absolutely absurd and I am fully expecting an apology (and I am actually serious about that)). A "terrible fan," if such a term exists, is much more descriptive of fairweather fans, who follow when good and completely forget about when bad, though I believe the term itself is very much an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a terrible fan, merely terrible people, and I know of no one like that on this board.

More or less, it was a late night, I was drunk, and I was tired of the Buehrle fellating, or if not fellating as my mind may have recalled it, the lack of criticism towards Buehrle. The guy made some pretty significant remarks towards the meaning of money and family, and I imagine about the worst and most hypocritical thing he could do, if he is not a liar, would be to sign a lucrative offer elsewhere. I'm not sure where his family makes their offseason/school year home, but, with the money he has already made, it would seem that he could be able to afford two locations to live, so there probably wouldn't be much in the way of moving - just the "summer" home. Still, since family apparently means so much to him, it would make sense that he signs somewhere close to his offseason home. It wouldn't make sense for him to sign on the east or west coasts.

Really, I wouldn't be saddened if Mark Buehrle signed with someone else away from his family for a lucrative offer and he became one of the worst pitchers in baseball. I'm not going to care if he does the former but still pitches like he has for the previous 11 years.

Really, at this point, I'm just not going to care.

It seems he's fielding all the offers he can, so to me, he's already a hypocrite. If he resigns with the Sox, woo-hoo, super, awesome, hope he pitches well. If he signs with someone else, then he's going to be an afterthought for me. He has been and still is a great pitcher. If he can make a killing on the free agent market, then good for him. I'm not going to boo him from my apparitional seat at USCF when he makes his first start against the White Sox. I won't boo on his 7th. I would cheer. There will always be a nostalgic feeling for Mark Buehrle. That doesn't mean I want him to succeed. That doesn't mean I want him to fail (though I may have alluded to that in previous posts).

I just really won't care.

---

To Tex, who asked why Mark Buehrle should give the Sox a hometown discount -

I touched on it in my previous post, but the fact of the matter is, the White Sox guaranteed him $14 million a year, $56 million total, and further guaranteed that he'd recieve an additional $19 million if they traded him before his 10/5 rights kicked in. This was about 10 calendar months and 3 1/2 baseball months after he'd put up the worst ERA of his career and it looked as though he may be losing it. They put their faith into him and gave him a contract that, at the time, he may or may not have received even on the free agent market. Perhaps he was giving the Sox the hometown discount then...I don't recall the board's reaction nor player value on that market.

He generally doesn't owe it to the Sox to give a hometown discount, but the Sox don't need to match any offers either. If he is truly comfortable playing in Chicago, with the White Sox, and he doesn't want to leave, then he won't. And it will almost certainly come at some sort of hometown discount, because I think there will likely be richer offers on the table elsewhere.

Like I said elsewhere, I don't believe it when his agent says that he will not give a hometown discount. I think that's all a drive for more money. I think, at the end of the day, if he's back in Chicago, it will be at some sort of "discount." And if not, then good for him.

(I still won't care)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)
He generally doesn't owe it to the Sox to give a hometown discount, but the Sox don't need to match any offers either. If he is truly comfortable playing in Chicago, with the White Sox, and he doesn't want to leave, then he won't. And it will almost certainly come at some sort of hometown discount, because I think there will likely be richer offers on the table elsewhere.

Like I said elsewhere, I don't believe it when his agent says that he will not give a hometown discount. I think that's all a drive for more money. I think, at the end of the day, if he's back in Chicago, it will be at some sort of "discount." And if not, then good for him.

(I still won't care)

Agree 100%. And, I don't think the Sox will be able to match the highest offer he'll get. If he truly is being coveted by upwards of 10 teams (realistically it's 5 or so serious teams), he's going to field offers in the neighborhood of 4 years at $15 to $16 million per. The most I see the Sox offering is 3 years at $12 million per.

Wilson and Buehrle are the top left-handed free agent pitchers. Wilson has told reporters that he is willing to return to Texas, but the Rangers apparently are bracing themselves in the event Wilson signs elsewhere.

The Rangers are familiar with Buehrle from his 12 years of pitching against them in the American League. Danks was the Rangers' first-round pick in the 2003 draft before trading him to the Sox after the 2007 season.

If Buehrle re-signs with the Sox, it could create more options for Wilson. But that scenario seems less likely. Although Sox general manager Ken Williams said Monday night that teams have been less inclined to trade major league-ready starting pitching in return for more seasoned players, Danks brings value because of his age (26) and that he's entering the prime of his career.

Texas scout Mike Anderson followed the Sox throughout most of July prior to the trading deadline. And the Sox have dispatched scouts to watch the Rangers' minor league teams last summer, so it's safe to say the organizations are familiar with each other's personnel.

So there is a chance - depending on Wilson's intentions - that the Sox and Rangers could do business similiar to the December 2006 trade that sent Brandon McCarthy to Texas in a deal involving Danks and reliever Nick Masset.

Link

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

KW sounded less than lukewarm on the prospects of Buehrle returning.

7 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

KW tried his best to sound optimistic on Buehrle. Didn't sound good though.

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Williams on Buehrle had pessimistic, realistic feel: "There’s a time for everyone to come. There’s a time for everyone to go.''

3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

More details.

“Listen, it’s professional sports,” Williams said at a hotel restaurant at the general managers’ meetings. “There’s a time for everyone to come. There’s a time for everyone to go. I don’t know if this is his time to go. … I don’t want this to come out the wrong way because he has been as consistent of a performer as you’d ever want over the time he’s been here.

“What I will miss more than that is the person he is. And you guys know what I’m talking about. When you talk about teammates, good teammates, supportive teammates, guys who have fun in the game, know when to be serious, know when to check somebody but know when to make somebody laugh, this is the guy you want. There’s much more that we’re going to miss than just every fifth day from Mark.

“So if it comes down to he’s not here, we got to make the adjustment. That’s just the business of baseball. But it doesn’t mean we like it. It doesn’t mean that’s our preferred course. It doesn’t mean we won’t want him here. Just means this is kind of the way it has to be.”

Buehrle, 32, who has 161 victories, reportedly has an offer from Miami and is being courted by several other teams coveting a successful a well-rounded left-hander. That could make it even more difficult for the Sox, who have earmarked nearly $92 million to 13 players with a payroll ceiling of less than $127 million.

“We have not chartered our course yet,” said Williams, declining to get into specifics. “In a few short weeks, we’ll have all the information.”

As of now, the possibility of trading left-hander John Danks, who is one year away from free agency, doesn’t seem imminent because Williams doesn’t see the return as being so great.

“First of all, the climate for teams giving up young pitching hasn’t been sunny in a few years,” Williams said. “Secondly, it’s seems like every year, we all sit down and people are worried about the pitching.”

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)
More or less, it was a late night, I was drunk, and I was tired of the Buehrle fellating, or if not fellating as my mind may have recalled it, the lack of criticism towards Buehrle.

I don't owe you an apology, nor will I give one, but this certainly is more than enough reason for me to say you aren't a terrible fan. You just can't go wishing injury upon Mark Buehrle and expect to get away with it around these here parts, I reckon.