#Occupythisthread

Rex Kickass

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
Occupy LA doucher and self-professed commie calls for the end of America "and everything it stands for". Because communism brought so much awesome s*** to people of the world in the past.

This is why the left gets a bad reputation for anti-Americanism.

Communists are everywhere in this country. We must keep a watch on them.

I wish Joseph McCarthy was still around.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
Occupy LA doucher and self-professed commie calls for the end of America "and everything it stands for". Because communism brought so much awesome s*** to people of the world in the past.

This is why the left gets a bad reputation for anti-Americanism.

Haha, man you are something else. I hope for your sake that you're actually a troll because I'd feel bad for you if you are actually this angry and bull-headed in real life.

But go on and keep overgeneralizing, insulting, and yelling your way through threads. I'm sure that'll incite some serious and mentally stimulating discussions.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Haha, man you are something else. I hope for your sake that you're actually a troll because I'd feel bad for you if you are actually this angry and bull-headed in real life.

But go on and keep overgeneralizing, insulting, and yelling your way through threads. I'm sure that'll incite some serious and mentally stimulating discussions.

You won't ever get that from him. Because if you don't agree with him on absolutely everything then he'll call you a liberal dumbass that is ruining America.

He isn't looking for stimulating discussion, he's here to say his s*** and yell at others for being wrong. Which makes the points he makes that are actually decent hidden in the swarm of personal attacks and anger he typically types out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try to reopen this with the newsstory of the day. If it goes back to the silliness of last week, the thread gets closed again.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/15/...E7AE0CS20111115

Reuters) - Police wearing helmets and carrying shields evicted protesters with the Occupy Wall Street movement early on Tuesday from the park in New York City's financial district where they have camped since September, dismantling their tent city and arresting about 70 people.

Authorities declared that the continued occupation of Zuccotti Park -- which had become a sea of tents, tarps and protest signs with hundreds of demonstrators sleeping there -- posed a health and safety threat.

Police spokesman Paul Browne said that about 70 protesters were arrested in the park during the nighttime operation for defying orders to leave and several more were arrested nearby, although most left voluntarily.

About a dozen protesters had chained themselves together and another two had chained themselves to trees before being cut loose and removed, Browne added.

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended the move to evict the protesters and tear down their tent city.

"Unfortunately, the park was becoming a place where people came not to protest, but rather to break laws, and in some cases, to harm others. There have been reports of businesses being threatened and complaints about noise and unsanitary conditions that have seriously impacted the quality of life for residents and businesses in this now-thriving neighborhood," Bloomberg said in a statement.

The protesters had set up camp in Zuccotti Park on September 17 to protest a financial system they say mostly benefits corporations and the wealthy. Their movement has inspired similar protests against economic inequality in other cities, and in some cases have led to violent clashes with police.

The mayor said protesters and the general public can return once the park is cleaned, but would have to abide by rules banning items like tents, tarps and sleeping bags.

"Protesters have had two months to occupy the park with tents and sleeping bags. Now they will have to occupy the space with the power of their arguments," Bloomberg said.

Protesters vowed that the eviction from the park that had become the epicenter of their movement would not deter them and several hundred congregated at another lower Manhattan square.

Police barricaded streets around the park, which had been lit up with spotlights. The operation began at around 1 a.m. (0600 GMT) and the last protesters had been evicted by about 4:15 a.m. (0915 GMT). Authorities swept up and removed mounds of debris.

Police used a loudspeaker to tell protesters they would be arrested if they did not leave. "They gave us about 20 minutes to get our things together," protester Sam Wood said as the eviction was taking place. "It's a painful process to watch, they are sweeping through the park."

Browne said the city and the owners of the park, commercial real estate corporation Brookfield Office Properties, issued fliers to the protesters saying the park would be cleared for cleaning shortly after 1 a.m. (0600 GMT).

'ALL THEIR STUFF'

"The sanitation department is removing all their stuff," Browne said, adding that protesters could collect belongings later in the day at another location in the city. He said police would remain at the park to ensure protesters did not return with their belongings.

The flier said the city and Brookfield had decided "that the continued occupation of Zuccotti Park posed an increasing health and safety hazard to those camped in the park, the city's first responders and the surrounding community."

The protesters had set up a kitchen in the middle of the park and they also had a medical tent, a social media headquarters and a library. Protesters have said several hundred people had been regularly sleeping in the park.

Authorities had previously threatened to clear the park but backed down. On October 14, plans to clean out Zuccotti Park were postponed, averting a possible showdown between police and protesters.

Occupy Wall Street supporters said the eviction would not crush their movement. "It will only grow stronger now. Why? Because every single person who was forced out of the park will bring five friends and everyone who heard about it will bring themselves and their friends," said Justin Wedes, 25.

"After this we get bigger. There is no question we get bigger. This is our chance to be heard," added Jennifer Sarja, 38, who had been bringing blankets and food to protesters staying in the park.

Wood, an unemployed 21-year-old from Farmingdale, New York, said he had been living at the park since the protests started on September 17. "They weren't disassembling anything nicely. ... They trashed our library," Wood said.

Some people applauded the action taken by authorities.

"I'm glad they cleared the park," said Patrick Hickey, 45, who works in construction at the nearby World Trade Center site. "I think the point they were trying to make was made a long time ago and it got lost along the way," he said as he had a cup of coffee and watched the park being cleaned.

Police on Monday moved into an encampment by anti-Wall Street protesters in Oakland, California, clearing out occupants and taking down tents, while in Portland, Oregon, police confronted an estimated 1,000 protesters on Sunday.

(Additional reporting by Clare Baldwin; Editing by Will Dunham)

Its a little interesting watching cities use heavy handed techniques to try to deal with these occupys only to watch them start to get stronger as a result.

In Philadelphia, theres an issue brewing too. Philly has offered space across the street from where Occupy Philly has been camped out, because they are scheduled to do major construction work where the Occupy camp is. Occupy Philly has decided, for some silly reason, not to move across the street.

I feel moderately sympathetic to the Occupy goals. I just wish they had a leadership, an actual goal, an actual objective other than camping out until some undefined thing happens. I want to support this movement, I think its heart is in the right place. I just wish they actually had a brain to go with it.

The Occupy Las Vegas people came and did a "friendly protest" at our building last week. Our company spent a few thousand dollars just to erect some fencing in spots to keep them from hassling employees too much. Yay Occupy movement. :wacko:

Meanwhile, they protested to invest in more green power and stop raising rates... :unsure:

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
I feel moderately sympathetic to the Occupy goals. I just wish they had a leadership, an actual goal, an actual objective other than camping out until some undefined thing happens. I want to support this movement, I think its heart is in the right place. I just wish they actually had a brain to go with it.

Thank you, I wish I had wrote that. I couldn't find the right words. As it stands now, I am now of the thought that they need to stop and go home.

I think the final quote in this excerpt sorta sums up the policy here pretty well.

Some members of the media said they were shoved by the police. As the police approached the park they did not distinguish between protesters and members of the press, said Lindsey Christ, a reporter for NY1, a local cable news channel. “Those 20 minutes were some of the scariest of my life,” she said.

Ms. Christ said that police officers took a New York Post reporter standing near her and “threw him in a choke-hold.”

That reporter and two photographers with him declined to speak on the record because they are freelance workers and lack some of the job protections of full-time employees. But as they sipped coffee on Tuesday morning in Foley Square, where some of the protesters had regrouped, they expressed surprise at the extent of what they described as police suppression of the press.

A freelance journalist working for NPR, Julie Walker, was briefly detained during the operation. Others wrote on Twitter that they came close to being arrested.

Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman, said he saw “nobody” who was manhandled.

He said reporters were allowed on the borders of Zuccotti Park, but not in its interior. That was for safety, he said, comparing it to the way the police set up a perimeter for the press around crime scenes and calamitous events.

“They were told we were going to start making arrests and they left the interior of the park and if you see from the coverage, everyone got their shot,” he said, referring to video and photographs shown online and on television. “So I don’t think that was an issue. If you see from the coverage people got their shot.”

Andrew Katz, a journalism student at Columbia University who was writing for the Web site The Brooklyn Ink, said that the police “wouldn’t let us get anywhere near Zuccotti.”

Mr. Katz said that at the corner of Broadway and Fulton Street, three blocks from the park, some police officers told him to stand on the sidewalk while others told him to stand on the street. “I was shoved by police on the sidewalk and then off the sidewalk,” he said. “Where was I supposed to go? It led to confusion among the press.”

Rosie Gray, a writer for The Village Voice, recounted telling a police officer, “I’m press!” She said the officer responded, “Not tonight.”

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
If you are ordered to clear the park, it isn't clear the park, except for the press.

Common practice is to leave the press. Usually it is a protective measure for the government to have witnesses. Some people believe their handgun keeps the government at bay, others believe it is a free press. Sadly, the government, the very people the press keeps in check, has won the minds of the people to the extent that the independent voice is silenced and the people only will believe the government. But as long as the government feeds them their ideological substenance, life is good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
Both a casual slip-up line by the mayor of Oakland and now leaks from the Feds are suggesting that the FBI and DHS have taken the lead in coordinating/organizing the crackdowns on the OWS camps. Link to Minneapolis Examiner article.

1. If you read the article, it seems clear that they are neither organizing nor coordinating the crackdowns. Says it quite clearly, but I suppose that doesn't fit your narrative.

2. I fail to see the problem with local law enforcement asking for advice from the feds here. Occupy movement is national, lots of cities are dealing with it, seems only smart to me to talk to the feds and with other cities to come up with the best ideas possible to handle things.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
2. I fail to see the problem with local law enforcement asking for advice from the feds here. Occupy movement is national, lots of cities are dealing with it, seems only smart to me to talk to the feds and with other cities to come up with the best ideas possible to handle things.

Interesting choice of words there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
1. If you read the article, it seems clear that they are neither organizing nor coordinating the crackdowns. Says it quite clearly, but I suppose that doesn't fit your narrative.

Should have checked more first...the Examiner is "Murdoch owned". I regret having posted that.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Its a little interesting watching cities use heavy handed techniques to try to deal with these occupys only to watch them start to get stronger as a result.

In Philadelphia, theres an issue brewing too. Philly has offered space across the street from where Occupy Philly has been camped out, because they are scheduled to do major construction work where the Occupy camp is. Occupy Philly has decided, for some silly reason, not to move across the street.

I guess it's better than what liberals usually do about politics (which is to go log onto Daily Kos and whine about how Obama is a big stupid doodyhead because he hasn't gotten any laws passed to get more transgendered soccer coaches, and also Republicans are really mean)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
I guess it's better than what liberals usually do about politics (which is to go log onto Daily Kos and whine about how Obama is a big stupid doodyhead because he hasn't gotten any laws passed to get more transgendered soccer coaches, and also Republicans are really mean)

Hey to be fair, in a close election you really don't want to ignore the Transgender Soccer Coach voting block. I hear they're going to replace the "Nascar Conjoined Twin" as the most important niche voter in 2012.

So my secretary said some Chicago occupiers are trying to mess up the commute home for people. Anyone experience this? Dunno if they were hitting Union Station or what.

Edit: Looks like they tried to stop traffic on a bridge:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/occ...-street-bridge/

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
So my secretary said some Chicago occupiers are trying to mess up the commute home for people. Anyone experience this? Dunno if they were hitting Union Station or what.

Edit: Looks like they tried to stop traffic on a bridge:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/occ...-street-bridge/

Do they really think this HELPS them somehow?