KCR acquires Jonathan Sanchez for Melky Cabrera

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Is that Jonathan Sanchez? The guy who threw the no hitter and who people keep suggesting KW/Coop might trade for?

Yes. Looks like a beneficial trade for both sides. Especially since this opens up a spot for Lorenzo Cain. .312/.380/.497 in AAA, while playing a fine CF.

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

From sf perspective, sanchez was possible non-tender candidate, melky got into good shape and had big year in 2011

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Sanchez is a LHP with bat missing stuff who can't throw strikes or get deep into games. Like Melky, he has value, yet is highly flawed.

and of course...

JimMargalus Jim Margalus

Maybe Melky Cabrera going to SF will dissuade Mark Buehrle from joining the NL. He's 17-for-27 off Buehrle in his career.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/roya...ky-cabrera.html

Royals Acquire Jonathan Sanchez For Melky Cabrera

By Tim Dierkes [November 7, 2011 at 12:08pm CST]

The Royals acquired lefty Jonathan Sanchez and minor league starter Ryan Verdugo from the Giants for outfielder Melky Cabrera, announced the team.

Sanchez, 28, may have been a non-tender candidate for the Giants after a disappointing 2011 season that saw him walk 5.9 per nine innings and miss significant time with biceps tendinitis and a sprained ankle. The southpaw is tough to hit and has big-time strikeout numbers, but control has always been a problem. In Sanchez, Felipe Paulino, and Danny Duffy, Royals GM Dayton Moore has strong strikeout potential for three-fifths of his 2012 rotation. Sanchez projects to earn $5.2MM in 2012, after which he'll be eligible for free agency. That he was traded for one year of Cabrera shows how much his trade value slipped during the '11 season. Sanchez was set to battle Barry Zito for the Giants' fifth starter job next year.

Cabrera had the opposite experience in 2011, as he had a resurgence after being non-tendered and signing a $1.25MM free agent deal. The 27-year-old hit .305/.339/.470 with 18 home runs in 706 plate appearances for the Royals, playing mostly center field. UZR suggests he is a below-average defender there, though there seems a good chance the Giants continue to use him in center. If so, Andres Torres could become expendable. Cabrera is projected to earn $4.4MM in 2012, after which he'll be eligible for free agency. With the deal, the Royals opened up center field for prospect Lorenzo Cain.

Verdugo, a 24-year-old Double-A southpaw, went to Kansas City along with Sanchez in the deal. Baseball America ranked him 25th among Giants prospects prior to the season, describing him as a deceptive lefty who misses bats but has minus command. Verdugo was a starter in college and returned to that role last year.

Could be a good trade for Royals. They do need starting pitching. Depends on whether Sanchez can stay healthy and not be too wild.

I don't know. Wait and see how it turns out. Giants definitely need more offense. Could be a trade that possibly works out for both teams.

However, it looks like both guys are free agents after 2012.

Edited by sunofgold

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Talked to Dayton Moore, who says he and SF GM Brian Sabean started talking about this trade 5 weeks ago.

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Moore indicated again:Not trading any of top position prospects.He deals Cabrera for possible high-end pitcher, clears spot for Cain in CF.

Very good trade for the Royals. This is one of the first good moves I've seen Dayton Moore make in terms of trades. He turned a small signing from last off-season into a decent pitcher that can be fixed.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 7, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
Very good trade for the Royals. This is one of the first good moves I've seen Dayton Moore make in terms of trades. He turned a small signing from last off-season into a decent pitcher that can be fixed.

And this still proves why Brian Sabean is one of the worst GMs in the game, World Series title or not. Perhaps he has a good eye for amateur talent, but I'm going to give more credit for that to the scouting department. Instead, he buys completely high on a guy in Melky Cabrera, who had never had a 2 WAR season before, let alone the 4.2 he had last year, and sells way low on Jonathan Sanchez, a guy who has maintained a consistently excellent K/9 who has tended to struggle with his control but, until last year had been worth about 2 fWAR a year.

Based solely upon that, this is a huge win for the Royals. On top of that, they still have Lorenzo Cain in the minors who looks like a really good player too.

The Royals, based upon any number of measures, come out way, way ahead in this move.

Are we all talking about the same Jonathan Sanchez? I see a pitcher who already turns 29 next season. Four full seasons in a huge pitchers park in the NL West, he had one great season, and three seasons with an ERA of higher than 4.20. I get that he strikes a lot of people out, but he also has a higher walk rate than anyone else in baseball. What makes people think he will suddenly gain control of his pitches in Kansas City?

I'm not saying the Royals made a bad trade, they definitely sold high on Melky. But they got a pitcher who can't throw strikes & is not getting any older. The Giants weren't going to pay Sanchez next year anyway, they have enough starting pitching, and their offense is so bad, Melky is still an upgrade. It makes sense why both teams made the trade, but I don't think any team is an obvious winner

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
Are we all talking about the same Jonathan Sanchez? I see a pitcher who already turns 29 next season. Four full seasons in a huge pitchers park in the NL West, he had one great season, and three seasons with an ERA of higher than 4.20. I get that he strikes a lot of people out, but he also has a higher walk rate than anyone else in baseball. What makes people think he will suddenly gain control of his pitches in Kansas City?

I'm not saying the Royals made a bad trade, they definitely sold high on Melky. But they got a pitcher who can't throw strikes & is not getting any older. The Giants weren't going to pay Sanchez next year anyway, they have enough starting pitching, and their offense is so bad, Melky is still an upgrade. It makes sense why both teams made the trade, but I don't think any team is an obvious winner

Yeah, I haven't seen a whole lot from KC to see that they get the best out of the pitchers they bring in. All though you have to assume Melky is going to take a massive dropoff moving to SF and out of a career year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)

That sounds like a f***in' win to me.