Could Sox shop Gordo?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Would the Sox really get good value for him? Seems like they might be selling low.

Meh.. couple years removed from top 10 pick in the draft, good glove now, potential with the bat (shown success) still in arb years, scouts might love him from other teams to take a chance on... Might be value there.

If he gets traded now, it would be part of big package deal.

Since he's been compared to Michael Young in the past, I'd like to point out Young really didn't do anything in the majors until he was 26. 10 years later, he's had a damn good career.

I'd like to give Beckham at least one more year with a new coaching staff, and see if he can come around with the bat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
The "Low risk, high reward" move is holding on to him for 1 more season. The High Risk, low reward move is trading him.

I agree with that but if someone wants to overpay for him with prospects that kenny really likes he would pull the trigger and I would be happy about that.

QUOTE (MAX @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
I agree with that but if someone wants to overpay for him with prospects that kenny really likes he would pull the trigger and I would be happy about that.

To put it another way, something unforeseen needs to happen to turn the high-risk, low reward move into a higher-reward move.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Meh.. couple years removed from top 10 pick in the draft, good glove now, potential with the bat (shown success) still in arb years, scouts might love him from other teams to take a chance on... Might be value there.

This is the reason we won't trade him and shouldn't

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
nothing like selling low

People saying this are writing off the possibility that he continues to get even worse. If the Sox truly believe he'll never recover from the crap he's become, it might be a good time to get something of value in return. At this point, I'm sure there are a few teams out there that think he's primed for a rebound, and they might just give up something of some value.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but it could end up being so.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
If he gets traded now, it would be part of big package deal.

Since he's been compared to Michael Young in the past, I'd like to point out Young really didn't do anything in the majors until he was 26. 10 years later, he's had a damn good career.

I'd like to give Beckham at least one more year with a new coaching staff, and see if he can come around with the bat.

Good post.

One thing is sure. After last season, my opinion of Beckham has changed. He was gawdawful at the plate, great in the field, though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
People saying this are writing off the possibility that he continues to get even worse. If the Sox truly believe he'll never recover from the crap he's become, it might be a good time to get something of value in return. At this point, I'm sure there are a few teams out there that think he's primed for a rebound, and they might just give up something of some value.

I'm not saying that this is the case, but it could end up being so.

Seriously, what would you trade for Gordon Beckham right now if you were another GM?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
Seriously, what would you trade for Gordon Beckham right now if you were another GM?

I don't know. This is all based on the fact that Beckham can continue to get worse or stay exactly as bad as he is currently. Perhaps there's a GM out there who's willing to give up a prospect in the very low minors that can maybe mature into a decent starter. And perhaps Beckham has another pathetic year and nobody will give up anything at all for him next offseason and just wait until he's released to give him a chance if they have any interest at all.

I'm just creating a scenario where I wouldn't mind if Beckham were traded. And to be honest, I don't care if he is or not.