Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
PSU could help this situation out by handling it correctly, and they are clearly dropping the ball. You need to clean house of anyone who knew anything about this.

The university is morally bankrupt if they allow Paterno and McQueary to coach another game for PSU. And if I was an alum of Penn St. I would be letting the school know that if they didn't fire Paterno and McQueary immediately I would never be donating another penny to the school. I'm actually surprised one of their big money donors hasn't stepped in and basically mandated that these guys be removed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Uh, yeah. Just letting him retire is ridiculous. No moral obligation whatsoever, I guess.

The most powerful man in State College is hiding behind ignorance and is slipping through the cracks here. At this point, have respect for the kids that were incredibly neglected by the University and leave, all of you.

It seems like the higher-ups at Penn State are treating this like Sandusky only had some weird sexual fetish which just shouldn't have taken place on campus. Do they realize how seriously awful his actions were? He was a f***ing child molester, not just some S&M freak. Their actions throughout this entire process have just been unexplainable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
It seems like the higher-ups at Penn State are treating this like Sandusky only had some weird sexual fetish which just shouldn't have taken place on campus. Do they realize how seriously awful his actions were? He was a f***ing child molester, not just some S&M freak. Their actions throughout this entire process have just been unexplainable.

Some of his actions were partially funded and aided by PSU. That should be one of the main factors in cleaning house.

The university is morally bankrupt if they allow Paterno and McQueary to coach another game for PSU. And if I was an alum of Penn St. I would be letting the school know that if they didn't fire Paterno and McQueary immediately I would never be donating another penny to the school. I'm actually surprised one of their big money donors hasn't stepped in and basically mandated that these guys be removed.

I guess the only thing I would say is that the players on the 2011 Penn State team bear no guilt in this, and taking two coaches away in the middle of a season damages their chances at a Big Ten championship and a chance to go to a BCS game, which is not fair to them. Plus, firing Paterno and McQueary right now is only symbolic and really doesn't help the victims any. A better option might be to strip Paterno of any honors he might have (honorary degrees, professor emeritus, name on buildings/streets, etc.), and make sure that McQueary never works in football again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
darrenrovell darren rovell

AP: Paterno says he will retire at the end of the season.

The AD gets indicted, the President will be fired, but the Head Coach gets to finish up the season and "retire?" Do they even teach public relations or ethics at Penn State?

If Paterno gets a gold watch, they should give it to him where Christopher Walken kept his in "Pulp Fiction."

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
I guess the only thing I would say is that the players on the 2011 Penn State team bear no guilt in this, and taking two coaches away in the middle of a season damages their chances at a Big Ten championship and a chance to go to a BCS game, which is not fair to them. Plus, firing Paterno and McQueary right now is only symbolic and really doesn't help the victims any. A better option might be to strip Paterno of any honors he might have (honorary degrees, professor emeritus, name on buildings/streets, etc.), and make sure that McQueary never works in football again.

What about the trophy that the Big Ten conference named after Paterno? I think thats going to be a sticky situation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Some of his actions were partially funded and aided by PSU. That should be one of the main factors in cleaning house.

The whole "don't bring kids onto PSU campus anymore" is the worst part. It's like they said, "We don't care what you do with your little boys, just keep the university out of it."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
The whole "don't bring kids onto PSU campus anymore" is the worst part. It's like they said, "We don't care what you do with your little boys, just keep the university out of it."

The board of directors at his charity were informed what was going on as well (Thats YOU Matt Millen) and they only disassociated themselves from him.

Anyone care to share some links? From what I read Paterno was told by a grad student what the grad student thought he witnessed. At least one story makes it seems as if the student wasn't certain of what he actually saw, and didn't tell Paterno that the kid was being sodomized. It may have been "hey I saw these two in the shower and something just isn't right." Paterno followed exactly what the law required. Remember someone told him what they saw. Based on what I've read so far, I believe Paterno retiring at the end of the season is fine. I certainly can't hold him to a higher punishment than the person who actually saw what was happening and didn'treport it to police.

I believe the law is/was grossly inadequate in these cases and am happy that, at least in Texas, there are further requirements.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Anyone care to share some links? From what I read Paterno was told by a grad student what the grad student thought he witnessed. At least one story makes it seems as if the student wasn't certain of what he actually saw, and didn't tell Paterno that the kid was being sodomized. It may have been "hey I saw these two in the shower and something just isn't right." Paterno followed exactly what the law required. Remember someone told him what they saw. Based on what I've read so far, I believe Paterno retiring at the end of the season is fine. I certainly can't hold him to a higher punishment than the person who actually saw what was happening and didn'treport it to police.

I believe the law is/was grossly inadequate in these cases and am happy that, at least in Texas, there are further requirements.

http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011...presentment.pdf

Grand Jury report.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
The AD gets indicted, the President will be fired, but the Head Coach gets to finish up the season and "retire?" Do they even teach public relations or ethics at Penn State?

If Paterno gets a gold watch, they should give it to him where Christopher Walken kept his in "Pulp Fiction."

Because reporting laws generally rely on the head of an organization to report these allegations to the police. Where is the outrage over the grad student not reporting this to the police? Paterno did exactly what was required by law and if there was any training done by the University it would have told him to do exactly what he did. remember he's a University employee just like a faculty member or a librarian.

From what we've read so far Paterno did not try to cover it up, he reported it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:06 AM)
Because reporting laws generally rely on the head of an organization to report these allegations to the police. Where is the outrage over the grad student not reporting this to the police? Paterno did exactly what was required by law and if there was any training done by the University it would have told him to do exactly what he did. remember he's a University employee just like a faculty member or a librarian.

From what we've read so far Paterno did not try to cover it up, he reported it.

Paterno runs State College, PA.

He did the bare minimum to cover his ass and never followed up.

Tex i'm in agreement here. I have no personal like of Paterno, but I don't understand the outrage towards him. I think him retiring and his otherwise flawless legacy has been ruined by all this. He'll no longer be the coach with the most wins. He'll be the coach with the most wins who left the school after a terrible scandal. Penalty enough (with the information out right now).

It's not surprising that every one wants to jump to judgment here. But I dunno that any of us would have acted differently if we were Paterno. He was given second hand information, the specificity of which is in question. At the time, the information is probably completely unbelievable given his history and friendship with Sandusky. Still, he reports it to the highest person in the department (the AD) who may well have told him he'd investigate the claim and that he'd deal with it. For all we know (and can probably expect, given the perjury committed by the AD), Paterno asked what happened and the AD lied to him and said nothing happened. Why would Paterno need to do anything more? He can rightly assume that the AD looked into it and found that there was no credible claim.

Until I hear from Paterno and he explains what happened and what he knew, i'm not going to have a conniption fit over him symbolically coaching a game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
Tex i'm in agreement here. I have no personal like of Paterno, but I don't understand the outrage towards him. I think him retiring and his otherwise flawless legacy has been ruined by all this. He'll no longer be the coach with the most wins. He'll be the coach with the most wins who left the school after a terrible scandal. Penalty enough (with the information out right now).

It's not surprising that every one wants to jump to judgment here. But I dunno that any of us would have acted differently if we were Paterno. He was given second hand information, the specificity of which is in question. At the time, the information is probably completely unbelievable given his history and friendship with Sandusky. Still, he reports it to the highest person in the department (the AD) who may well have told him he'd investigate the claim and that he'd deal with it. For all we know (and can probably expect, given the perjury committed by the AD), Paterno asked what happened and the AD lied to him and said nothing happened. Why would Paterno need to do anything more? He can rightly assume that the AD looked into it and found that there was no credible claim.

Until I hear from Paterno and he explains what happened and what he knew, i'm not going to have a conniption fit over him symbolically coaching a game.

Based on that Grand Jury finding, there's no way Paterno can truly claim ignornance here. An assistant coach and former player told him what he saw and was very upset. I don't know how the information would be completely unbelievable given the source.