Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
C'mon, add something to the conversation. This is just derailing the argument.

He did his due diligence at the time that has been deemed appropriate. Yeah, in total hindsight he should've done more. But it's not nearly as black and white as some are making it out to be.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
No, he reported it to the authorities appropriate enough to allow him to pass the buck and not get in trouble himself. The actual appropriate authorities would have been the police.

And it seems that you're saying that you "think" Paterno took little action because he was disgusted by it. That may be true, or it may be false. What we can say, that isn't an opinion, is that he didn't do everything in his power to see that the situation was resolved. He did the bare minimum, which should save him from prosecution, but it shouldn't save him from losing his job and his public persona.

Sandusky admitted molesting a child to the police and they did nothing themselves! But we're going to persecute Paterno more for not telling the police, than the actual police, who were told by the criminal himself and did nothing! How is that not the bigger story here?

I don't care if he loses his job; it's time for him to move on anyways. And honestly, it's probably good for us as a society that the shortcomings of these godlike figures on college campuses are being brought to light, because maybe it will open their eyes to the fact that these are just people, capable of making mistakes just like the rest of us.

But of course right now, everyone else feels the need to stand up and tell the world how much of a "moral failure" Joe Paterno is, and how we all would have risen to the occasion and handled the situation perfectly. We're all also qualified to damn Paterno to hell, since the media and the rest of us commentators are all such "moral superstars."

Give me a break.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Paterno could have gone to the police with the GA, another trusted colleague. He could have followed up after the AD clearly found that something had happened and banned Sandusky from bringing kids around. He could have made sure that a real investigation happened and that the victim was found.

Yes, again, he is more at fault than Paterno. That's been said many, many times now.

That's a problem with arguments on this site. People seem to think the answer has to be A or B, nothing else is possible. The GA and Paterno are both at fault here, the GA likely much more than Paterno. It's not the GA or Paterno or the AD or the VP. It is all of them to various degrees. Fire them all.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Sandusky admitted molesting a child to the police and they did nothing themselves! But we're going to persecute Paterno more for not telling the police, than the actual police, who were told by the criminal himself and did nothing! How is that not the bigger story here?

I don't care if he loses his job; it's time for him to move on anyways. And honestly, it's probably good for us as a society that the shortcomings of these godlike figures on college campuses are being brought to light, because maybe it will open their eyes to the fact that these are just people, capable of making mistakes just like the rest of us.

But of course right now, everyone else feels the need to stand up and tell the world how much of a "moral failure" Joe Paterno is, and how we all would have risen to the occasion and handled the situation perfectly. We're all also qualified to damn Paterno to hell, since the media and the rest of us commentators are all such "moral superstars."

Give me a break.

Is anyone saying that at all? Each person involved in the ignoring and covering up of what happened should pay some sort of price should they not? Paterno, Schultz and Curley also lied to a Grand Jury based on the evidence provided up to this point.

Give me a break.

Easy. Paterno is easily the most famous of those in question. Therefore the bigger story. It's really that simple.

Give me a break.

Then the police should also come under the hammer. I don't think we disagree there at all.

And sorry for judging Paterno, but that's the f***ing world. He failed and it is now common knowledge. I've never walked in on a boy being raped, nor have I been told first-hand of such a thing. I can't say exactly how I'd react. Unfortunately for everyone in this scenario, that has no bearing whatsoever on the situation. I may not be morally superior to Paterno, but I can look at his actions and decide correctly that he still failed morally.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
That's a problem with arguments on this site. People seem to think the answer has to be A or B, nothing else is possible. The GA and Paterno are both at fault here, the GA likely much more than Paterno. It's not the GA or Paterno or the AD or the VP. It is all of them to various degrees. Fire them all.

No, the problem is that Paterno is the story now. And if you don't take the time to actually read the facts, you might think Paterno actually molested children himself. And then 20 years from now, Paterno's name is going to come up, and someone is going to say "isn't that that old geezer who coached Penn State for 50 years and was caught molesting kids?"

The media needs to be more responsible with the story instead of just irresponsibly making this into what will get the biggest ratings or website hits.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
He did his due diligence at the time that has been deemed appropriate. Yeah, in total hindsight he should've done more. But it's not nearly as black and white as some are making it out to be.

He met his minimum legal obligations and did nothing else.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
No, the problem is that Paterno is the story now. And if you don't take the time to actually read the facts, you might think Paterno actually molested children himself. And then 20 years from now, Paterno's name is going to come up, and someone is going to say "isn't that that old geezer who coached Penn State for 50 years and was caught molesting kids?"

The media needs to be more responsible with the story instead of just irresponsibly making this into what will get the biggest ratings or website hits.

WTF?

Seriously, can you point to an example where even a cursory reading of the story would leave a reader with that impression?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)

The media's coverage and whether or not Paterno, McQueary, the AD, etc. failed morally are two separate issues. You can place some of the blame on Paterno but still lament him being the focus of the story.

Then take this pissing and moaning to the media. The people on this site seem pretty clear that Paterno is not the person who raped the children, nor do they believe he should be thrown in jail. They understand that he, and others, have failed in one way or another morally and deserve to be fired.

With all due respect that is total bulls***. Nobody is going to make the mistake of saying Paterno is the one who was the criminal in this (outside of perjury). Our discussion has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with the facts presented so far in this case. Joe Paterno is by far the most powerful man in State College. His direct report was investigated for molestation over 13 years ago. This man then mysteriously retired from his position. This man was then implicated by another one of Joe's employees of molestation first hand 4 years later. The dept then banned this man from having children on PSU property. All of the higher ups who made these decisions and then lied to the Grand Jury are in the wrong. Its clear that the most powerful man at the University who was also directly involved in the chain of information and decision making is going to take ALOT of heat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Is anyone saying that at all? Each person involved in the ignoring and covering up of what happened should pay some sort of price should they not? Paterno, Schultz and Curley also lied to a Grand Jury based on the evidence provided up to this point.

Have you read the thread? Have you listened to the radio? Have you watched the talk shows? Everyone is entirely positive that they would have immediately run in and stopped everything they witnessed, called the police, then if the police didn't handle it, they would have called in the National Guard, and if it was appropriately handled then, they would have devoted their life to following this child molester around everywhere he goes so as to ensure he never so much as looked at a child again because we all owe it to the potential victims.

Again, I'm not condoning anything that was done, but the degree of outrage towards Joe Paterno right now is simply out of control right now because everyone is fixated on the hero getting slayed in public...if this happened on the campus of Montana State or something, it would be a story for 3 days and then we would all forget about it. And yet the kids who were the victims of it would still be just as real.

No one is saying that. No one is suggesting that. Anyone who "might be thinking that" is so utterly clueless as to not be worth anyone's concern.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
With all due respect that is total bulls***. Nobody is going to make the mistake of saying Paterno is the one who was the criminal in this (outside of perjury). Our discussion has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with the facts presented so far in this case. Joe Paterno is by far the most powerful man in State College. His direct report was investigated for molestation over 13 years ago. This man then mysteriously retired from his position. This man was then implicated by another one of Joe's employees of molestation first hand 4 years later. The dept then banned this man from having children on PSU property. All of the higher ups who made these decisions and then lied to the Grand Jury are in the wrong. Its clear that the most powerful man at the University who was also directly involved in the chain of information and decision making is going to take ALOT of heat.

Thank you, too! I don't know what is so f***ing hard to understand. Motherf***ing Devil's advocates.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
WTF?

Seriously, can you point to an example where even a cursory reading of the story would leave a reader with that impression?

Turn on Colin Cowherd for 10 minutes in your car and catch just part of the story, and it would be easy to be left with that impression.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
No one is saying that. No one is suggesting that. Anyone who "might be thinking that" is so utterly clueless as to not be worth anyone's concern.

"giant morons might misinterpret something in a pretty incredible way a few decades from now" isn't usually a solid defense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Turn on Colin Cowherd for 10 minutes in your car and catch just part of the story, and it would be easy to be left with that impression.

I don't care about Cowherd or ESPN. I care about what's being discussed itt and maybe some of the links others have posted.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Have you read the thread? Have you listened to the radio? Have you watched the talk shows? Everyone is entirely positive that they would have immediately run in and stopped everything they witnessed, called the police, then if the police didn't handle it, they would have called in the National Guard, and if it was appropriately handled then, they would have devoted their life to following this child molester around everywhere he goes so as to ensure he never so much as looked at a child again because we all owe it to the potential victims.

Again, I'm not condoning anything that was done, but the degree of outrage towards Joe Paterno right now is simply out of control right now because everyone is fixated on the hero getting slayed in public...if this happened on the campus of Montana State or something, it would be a story for 3 days and then we would all forget about it. And yet the kids who were the victims of it would still be just as real.

Then I guess we should be happy that it happened under Paterno, as otherwise it would get swept under the rug and perhaps go unresolved. The fact that Joe Paterno is involved is attracting a media frenzy that will ultimately lead to justice.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)

Last I checked none of us were on the radio. So what does that have to do with this thread and our discussion?

And I'm familiar with a figurehead getting blasted by the media regardless of the facts in a situation. However in this situation and on this board, I think we have taken into account the facts and the different amounts of blame that need to go around. Thats why I think 90 percent of the people on this boards have the position that they need to clean house entirely.