Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the coverage of the riots, I was impressed with one PSU student in particular. He had the balls to tell it like it is (the view of the majority of this thread) while morons were all around him chanting mindless support of Paterno. The ESPN guy even asked him if he felt safe and he answered that he didn't, but felt that someone needed to be reasonable and show that not all of the PSU students are blind apologists (obviously).

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
And yet, despite the special ire people hold for the specific priests that molested children, they are still very angry at the church for protecting their own and not the children.

There is no moral uncertainty on what should happen to Sandusky. But with Paterno and Mcquarry there is uncertainty in others about what responsibility we all have to protect the vulnerable. And to those like myself who find that they failed miserably, there is more determination to make sure that is voiced. Just because JoePa might not be legally responsible, does not mean he morally culpable to the problem. Sandusky was using his status as a PennSt. former coach, his access to their facilities, to rape children. And they knew it. If Sandusky was shooting fish in a barrel, they provided the barrell and water and didn't ask for why.

Very good points there.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
If nothing else, the one good thing the firing of Paterno might do is to send a wake-up call to the rest of the country as to how important it is to take any kind of child-sex allegation very seriously and not to stick your head in the sand.

I actually thought the same things. This could end up being a landmark occasion that sets a strong precedent.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 07:10 AM)
I just heard news of the firing this morning. Without question, it absolutely had to be done.

I'm doing face palms over some of the posts on here arguing the contrary.

He was the head of the program under which this occurred, and in many ways, "the most powerful man on campus."

Talk about a "lack of institutional control": When something this heinous happens, those at the top bear ultimate accountablity and must pay with their jobs. His contract was up anyway, and he "retired" just hours before. BFD.

Sorry, devils advocates. In the real world, this was an absolute no-brainer.

Wrong. In 2002 Sandusky was not employed by the University and it did not involve any current University students.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
Wrong. In 2002 Sandusky was not employed by the University and it did not involve any current University students.

That quote was very obviously about JoePa. At no point in time would anyone have referred to Sandusky as "the most powerful man on campus."

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
It still happened while Sandusky was a coach before 2002. And Paterno has been the head of the program for over 60 years.

This one blew my mind as to how long Paterno has been there

@ESPNStatsInfo The last time Joe Paterno was not on Penn State's coaching staff. Hank Aaron was 5 years away from hitting his 1st HR.”

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

I was talking about Paterno, Tex. He was the head of the football program that continued to allow its former DC, Sandusky, to hang around the program and gave him access to program facilities where he perpetrated his crimes, specifically including the 2002 shower incident witnessed by the GA.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
McQuery will be coaching on Saturday. What a joke, he's the most at fault of anyone for not going to the police.

Edit: Which just continues to prove that Joe Pa is the fall guy.

There is no way McQuery should be allowed on the sidelines to coach Saturday!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
Watching the coverage of the riots, I was impressed with one PSU student in particular. He had the balls to tell it like it is (the view of the majority of this thread) while morons were all around him chanting mindless support of Paterno. The ESPN guy even asked him if he felt safe and he answered that he didn't, but felt that someone needed to be reasonable and show that not all of the PSU students are blind apologists (obviously).

I know exactly whom you are talking about and I agree entirely.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Stop caring about Joe Paterno.

People want to take up the cause of a celebrity, it's commonplace. It reminds me of A Bronx Tale, if anyone here has seen it.

"You think Mickey Mantle's gonna pay your rent?"

In this case, it's more like:

"You think Joe Paterno's gonna prevent your child from being raped in his facilities?"

QUOTE (kev211 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
McQuery will be coaching on Saturday. What a joke, he's the most at fault of anyone for not going to the police.

Edit: Which just continues to prove that Joe Pa is the fall guy.

What about the other three guys who lost their jobs? Did they not take a fall as well? The f***ing President just lost his job, either you believe JoePa was more powerful at PSU or you have ignored this fact entirely.

It doesnt matter, if Paterno is being fired for not reporting it to the police (the only allegation any of you who support his firing have yet to make), then McQuery should have been terminated months, if not years ago.

The simple fact is that no one was going to get fired if the media didnt paint Paterno out as some monster. The facts, well, they are entirely unclear. Joe Pa, President and everyone else say McQuery didnt tell them specifics and never once mentioned rape. McQuery says otherwise.

Who is more believable?

Id say Patenro and Co. If some one sees a rape that is so terrible, they report it to the police. They dont go home, call their dad, and then tell the coach.

And Milkman, expect me to always defend people who are merely accused of a crime, because accusations are not facts, grand juries are nothing more than a dog and pony show. I have yet to see the transcript, if anyone could find it that would be great, but this story is going to dramatically change (imo) as we approach the real trials.

Its also important to note, that Paterno's role in this trial, was to merely show that he properly reported it to his supervisors, and his supervisors violated Penn law. Most people generally do not get in trouble or fired when they follow protocol and another person breaks the law.

If anyone thinks Paterno being destroyed will make people report more child molesting cases, I believe you are wrong. The simple fact that I take from this,is had Paterno completely dismissed it and lied, we wouldnt be here today.

Its just as simple as:

"McQuery never told me anything, I had no idea, if McQuery saw a rape, why didnt he call the police?"

That simple response would have prevented Paterno from ever getting in any trouble. But since the guy actually reported it like he was supposed to, hes now fired.

Classic.