Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
lol

I think the irony is delicious that you want someone who has a different opinion than you killed.

Oh, I didn't say killed at all. It's not my fault if you made that assumption, you sick bastard. I only wanted him to have a brush with death that could open his eyes a little. Wow...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
So take this as completely rumor, but I was talking to one of my clients who knows some people at PSU and the rumor is that:

1) Second mile pimping may have merit.

2) Some of the board of trustees may have known a lot more than they are claiming.

I honestly hope this thing gets bigger and bigger (that's what she said). The more people it takes down, the more focus is given to child endangerment.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
lol

I think the irony is delicious that you want someone who has a different opinion than you killed.

Because I totally wasn't using hyperbole to illustrate a point.

No, I really want to load Franco Harris and Matt Millen into catapults, aim them for brick walls, then fire, THEN proceed to clean it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
So take this as completely rumor, but I was talking to one of my clients who knows some people at PSU and the rumor is that:

1) Second mile pimping may have merit.

2) Some of the board of trustees may have known a lot more than they are claiming.

people are social animals. there is no way this little secret stayed between Paterno, McQueary, Spanier, Curley, Schultz and McQueary's dad.

hell, when Sandusky was barred from bringing the second mile kids to campus, someone within the organization had to ask why.

Even though you want this whole process to play out SB, and you want to not believe in this audatious conspiracy theory, there is no doubt here that there was a large coordinated coverup.

now, the question remains, Why? Why is hiding a sexual predator so much better than delivering him to the police or FBI? It goes way past "Paterno was his friend and didnt want to believe it", because multiple other people who werent close friends with Sandusky also covered it up.

FACEBOOK TRANSCRIPT:

Status of Person 1: Sad that it seems there's more outrage at PSU from students about Joe Paterno's firing than the horrific crimes his assistant coach committed.

Person 2: Please don't tell me your blaming Joe pattern too?

Paterno*

Person 3: You're not blaming him for his role in this?

P1: Is not reporting a crime not worth an ounce of blame? Not just ANY crime, by the way. A disgusting, terrible one.

P3: Just because he didn't necessarily break any laws, by not doing anything, he is just as bad as that ass-clown who did break the law.

P1: Everybody who knew and didn't report it are equally responsible for enabling a sex offender. Simple as that.

P2: How can you say your a college football fan when your blaming the greatest football coach in this era for something he didn't even do. He didn't rape the kids the assistant DID!!!! He reported it like any other person would have done. It wasn't him tht push the subject under the rug it was the guys upstairs at Penn state not him!!!! So honestly tell me were he is to blame!!

P3: oh my god. get out of here. You're an idiot. He did NOT report it, you clown. that's the whole problem he told the higher ups, who did nothing. He had a DUTY to HIS athletes to report the crime to the police. He covered up the molestation of his players by one of his coaches. DOn't you see what's wrong there?

P1: This isn't about football, first of all. Second of all, I don't understand how you don't understand why NOT reporting a sex offender is a bad thing. Who knows how many more kids lives were affected simply because Paterno didn't go to the police? When the officials swept it under the rug, the right thing to do was to go to the authorities. He didn't, and thus, he is just as guilty as the rest of the administration.

P2: I am the idiot? You must not be a sports fan or maybe your a Penn state hater! All the people who think Paterno is to blame are the idiots including you!

P3: It's not about sports. You're obviously too shallow to understand the depth of this issue.

It'd be like my little brother telling me he murdered someone, me telling my parents, and after they don't do anything about it, me just keeping it quiet and not reporting the crime to the authorities.

Please, tell me that I would be right in that situation. Please.

P1: You won't get a response, I just kicked him off my friends list. I actually don't even know who that guy was.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I wasnt talking to you Quinarvy.

I was speaking to Milkman who seems to be getting actually angry about someone else holding a different opinion.

Sorry for the snarky comment then Badger.

I was the only one who typed anything related to killing, so I thought it was for me.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
FACEBOOK TRANSCRIPT:

Status of Person 1: Sad that it seems there's more outrage at PSU from students about Joe Paterno's firing than the horrific crimes his assistant coach committed.

Person 2: Please don't tell me your blaming Joe pattern too?

Paterno*

Person 3: You're not blaming him for his role in this?

P1: Is not reporting a crime not worth an ounce of blame? Not just ANY crime, by the way. A disgusting, terrible one.

P3: Just because he didn't necessarily break any laws, by not doing anything, he is just as bad as that ass-clown who did break the law.

P1: Everybody who knew and didn't report it are equally responsible for enabling a sex offender. Simple as that.

P2: How can you say your a college football fan when your blaming the greatest football coach in this era for something he didn't even do. He didn't rape the kids the assistant DID!!!! He reported it like any other person would have done. It wasn't him tht push the subject under the rug it was the guys upstairs at Penn state not him!!!! So honestly tell me were he is to blame!!

P3: oh my god. get out of here. You're an idiot. He did NOT report it, you clown. that's the whole problem he told the higher ups, who did nothing. He had a DUTY to HIS athletes to report the crime to the police. He covered up the molestation of his players by one of his coaches. DOn't you see what's wrong there?

P1: This isn't about football, first of all. Second of all, I don't understand how you don't understand why NOT reporting a sex offender is a bad thing. Who knows how many more kids lives were affected simply because Paterno didn't go to the police? When the officials swept it under the rug, the right thing to do was to go to the authorities. He didn't, and thus, he is just as guilty as the rest of the administration.

P2: I am the idiot? You must not be a sports fan or maybe your a Penn state hater! All the people who think Paterno is to blame are the idiots including you!

P3: It's not about sports. You're obviously too shallow to understand the depth of this issue.

It'd be like my little brother telling me he murdered someone, me telling my parents, and after they don't do anything about it, me just keeping it quiet and not reporting the crime to the authorities.

Please, tell me that I would be right in that situation. Please.

P1: You won't get a response, I just kicked him off my friends list. I actually don't even know who that guy was.

It doesn't look like person 3 helped much. Looks like he or she is sort of an idiot, and certainly didn't have his or her facts straight.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Kyle,

I dont know if there was a coverup, I just believe that if there was one, that it wasnt Paterno who was leading it. I think it came from above him.

i dont think it was Paterno leading it either. and i think it is going to be a very crazy, uncomfortable and sad story. Unfortunately Paterno is the face of the university, and thats the face associated with the crime now because he lost his job.

I dont think the bloodletting is over by a long shot

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Kyle,

I dont know if there was a coverup, I just believe that if there was one, that it wasnt Paterno who was leading it. I think it came from above him.

And that's entirely believable given that the people above him have already been charged with crimes.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:44 AM)
Any protection McQueary had, Paterno would have as well. Remember McQueary did not contact the President, etc. It was Paterno.

I think PSU is concerned about their potentially liability, and unlike Paterno, I think McQueary would definitely sue PSU. Personally I think PSU is trying to dig up things on McQueary to try and give a better reason to fire him. Not calling the police, is just not a great reason to terminate an employee, especially when the employee reports to his superiors, and the superiors fail to report it in violation of the law.

Termination and/or wrongful discharge liability is an absolute pittance in all of this compared to the liability faced on account of the victims. I don't think for a moment that PSU gives two s***s about being sued by McQueary or any other ex-employee. That would really be missing the forest for the trees.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
It doesn't look like person 3 helped much. Looks like he or she is sort of an idiot, and certainly didn't have his or her facts straight.

P1 is my sports editor.

He and I mourned over not being true college football fans as well as Penn State haters.

Journey.

Firing or not firing McQueary wont reduce their liability to the victims at all. Its completely irrelevant to whether or not an abuse occurred years ago and what the damages are.

If they dont care about being sued for wrongful termination, the are idiots. They should care about everything.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
Journey.

Firing or not firing McQueary wont reduce their liability to the victims at all. Its completely irrelevant to whether or not an abuse occurred years ago and what the damages are.

If they dont care about being sued for wrongful termination, the are idiots. They should care about everything.

Yeah but they have to rebuild the image of the school, SB. And whether or not it is fair, or even legal in this case, to fire Paterno or some of the others, the amount of money spent on settling those cases is far exceeded by what it could cost them to not make the appropriate sacrifices to the mob of angry public here.

They've got to think about being able to rebuild their program again, and there are not going to be a lot of parents wanting to send their children to Penn State if you still have people who were involved in this scandal coaching the team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Yeah but they have to rebuild the image of the school, SB. And whether or not it is fair, or even legal in this case, to fire Paterno or some of the others, the amount of money spent on settling those cases is far exceeded by what it could cost them to not make the appropriate sacrifices to the mob of angry public here.

They've got to think about being able to rebuild their program again, and there are not going to be a lot of parents wanting to send their children to Penn State if you still have people who were involved in this scandal coaching the team.

I don't like that characterization much. It makes it sound like the people who are angry have no right or reason to be so. I don't think of these people being fired as "sacrifices to a mob" as much as "people that deserved to be fired that are only being fired due to the actions of a 'mob'".

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
I don't like that characterization much. It makes it sound like the people who are angry have no right or reason to be so. I don't think these people being fired as "sacrifices to a mob" as much as "people that deserved to be fired that are only being fired due to the actions of a 'mob'".

Well I don't like your characterization of Franco's comments much either, Milk.

But the fact is, we disagree on the fundamental point of culpability here, which means I see the majority calling for everyone's heads to fall immediately as an angry mob, whereas you see someone defending Paterno and begin fuming.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
Well I don't like your characterization of Franco's comments much either, Milk.

But the fact is, we disagree on the fundamental point of culpability here, which means I see the majority calling for everyone's heads to fall immediately as an angry mob, whereas you see someone defending Paterno and begin fuming.

Sorry for expecting Franco to have any kind of decency.

Note to self: next time a travesty occurs somewhere, do not want justice if a large group wants the same. This is mob justice under any circumstance and is wrong.

I think its the way you characterize things.

Franco has no decency?

Wtf is that?

If you arent distracted by the nature of the crime, its pretty clear that Paterno deserved a chance to defend himself.

If you walk into work and another employee accuses you of stealing, do you think you should have a chance to explain your story? Or do you think you should just be terminated immediately?

Think of all the times police are caught on tape beating some one etc, they are suspended, pending the results of an investigation. The appropriate response here was to suspend Paterno, pending an investigation.

Once you have the facts, then you can make a decision. If you notice, Harris asks a very interesting question: "Who at PSU gave Sandusky access?"

Its interesting that no one in the media seems to care about the actual facts. But that isnt a shocker, outrageous claims sell more papers than the truth.

I dont know, I assume Paterno would have contacted his son and tried to determine if it happened.

I highly doubt hed call the police without asking questions first. Most people only report crimes they see first hand or hear from the victim. Now if Paterno's grandson told him it happened, I expect hed call the police. But thats the equivalent of the boy telling some one, which is a distinguishable fact.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
I dont know, I assume Paterno would have contacted his son and tried to determine if it happened.

I highly doubt hed call the police without asking questions first. Most people only report crimes they see first hand or hear from the victim. Now if Paterno's grandson told him it happened, I expect hed call the police. But thats the equivalent of the boy telling some one, which is a distinguishable fact.

But he certainly wouldn't have kicked it upstairs and walked away.