Penn State horror story

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Yeah, you've pretty much made this clear.

And yet you are the one making light of the actions taken by Sandusky against the children, using slang that might be mildly appropriate when discussing your latest conquest with your buddies near the water cooler, but certainly not in regards to the acts done by a sick pervert to children.

You've now gone from making moral judgments about everyone involved in the case, to those of us here offering commentary in opposition of your own.

I know things have gotten a bit emotional in this thread, but seriously, accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you, not will you convince them to agree with you. And when they don't, it's not acceptable to label them as a "piece of s*** human being."

It surely is in this case, sorry.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How stuff like this continues to happen

"Victim 1 did not want to engage in sexual conduct with Sandusky and knew it was wrong," the grand jury report stated, adding that the boy asked his mother to tell Sandusky that he was not home when the coach called for the boy. From January 2008 to July 2009, Sandusky allegedly placed 118 calls to the boy's home phone.

Increasingly worried about the boy's behavior, including his reaction to the phone calls from Sandusky, Gillum said the victim's mother asked school officials to help identify the problem. Gillum said the boy eventually told a school official that "there was an issue" with Sandusky, although the boy declined to elaborate.

Gillum said a school official relayed the information to the boy's mother in a meeting.

The official, who Gillum declined to identify, then reminded the mother of Sandusky's solid reputation in the community. The psychologist said the official characterized Sandusky as having "a heart of gold."

Here's to Victim 1 having the courage to come forward. :drink

"No one wants to be a part of anything like this," he said. "But had it not been for this individual, my guess is that none of this (criminal investigation) would have happened."

complete article

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...160950/1?csp=hf

Edited by Big Hurtin

Its not a generalization.

So far no one in this thread has said theyve read the transcript. So you are relying entirely on the medias portrayal, unless you are saying you were one the jurors and actually witnessed the testimony.

Iamshack,

Im a piece of s*** human being because I said that I think the appropriate response was that Paterno was suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

Unlike Milkman, Im not just going to blindly believe that Saint McQueary went to Paterno and gave him graphic details. Im a terrible human being because I believe that every person, regardless of how terrible the accusations, deserves to tell their side, before we make judgments.

I dont know how many times I have to say it, but I dont know what Paterno was told. Therefore I cant say whether or not he should have told the police, until I am able to actually see the facts myself.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
edited with link.

The defense of Paterno being disconnected from this is crumbling.

Haha, no way. There's no way Paterno knew about Sandusky continuing to recruit for his school. It's just not possible. It's much more plausible that this was conducted solely by the higher-ups. Upon initially hearing about the reports, Paterno did everything in his power to keep those children safe and never again had anything to do with Sandusky.

Right?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Yeah, so he kept Sandusky making official visits with high school kids through 2011.

Yeah.

Forced into retirement

Banned from bringing children on campus

2010 banned from charity because of GJ investigation

2011, represents PSU to prospective football players on recruiting visits.

Should Penn State even be playing Saturday/the rest of this season? I'd honestly lean towards no. I'm not upset that they're playing because it would be unfair to the players on that team that have nothing to do with this to not play. But it just feels wrong, and I hope they lose.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
So far no one in this thread has said theyve read the transcript. So you are relying entirely on the medias portrayal, unless you are saying you were one the jurors and actually witnessed the testimony.

So you're alleging what here, that no one has read the easily available grand jury report, or that the grand jury report is lies created by a grand jury determined to destroy Joe Paterno?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
So you're alleging what here, that no one has read the easily available grand jury report, or that the grand jury report is lies created by a grand jury determined to destroy Joe Paterno?

He's correctly stating that the report is not the transcript while ignoring what logical, uncontested conclusions arise from said transcript.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Should Penn State even be playing Saturday/the rest of this season? I'd honestly lean towards no. I'm not upset that they're playing because it would be unfair to the players on that team that have nothing to do with this to not play. But it just feels wrong, and I hope they lose.

I can understand this sentiment, but on this one...I'm going to assume it's not the players' fault.

The scary thing is that some of them might well have met Sandusky during recruiting visits, even while they were high schoolers.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)

I dont think its fair to the kids or the fans, but yeah, I think everyone is going to be rooting for Nebraska. And I know the Big Ten is going to be rooting for PSU not to make it to the title game.

More and more details are going to come out. Sandusky also adopted 6 children, was his sexual crimes limited to other people's kids?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:53 PM)
I can understand this sentiment, but on this one...I'm going to assume it's not the players' fault.

The scary thing is that some of them might well have met Sandusky during recruiting visits, even while they were high schoolers.

Oh absolutely, the players are not at fault here. Maybe a more fair way to do it is finish the season, let the players have the USC thing where they can transfer without penalty (aka they can play anywhere in 2012), and then not let Penn State have games in 2012. It just....to me, they should lose games for this.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:47 PM)
Its not a generalization.

Iamshack,

Im a piece of s*** human being because I said that I think the appropriate response was that Paterno was suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

Unlike Milkman, Im not just going to blindly believe that Saint McQueary went to Paterno and gave him graphic details. Im a terrible human being because I believe that every person, regardless of how terrible the accusations, deserves to tell their side, before we make judgments.

I dont know how many times I have to say it, but I dont know what Paterno was told. Therefore I cant say whether or not he should have told the police, until I am able to actually see the facts myself.

Yes, it's a generalization to say that others don't care about the facts simply because they haven't been able to read the entire transcript of the trial. That is almost a perfect definition of what a generalization is.

And again, you're creating a statement I didn't make. I said you'd be a piece of s*** if you think there's nothing morally wrong with Paterno and others not informing the police. I didn't say you're "a piece of s*** human being because you said that you think the appropriate response was that Paterno was suspended pending the outcome of the investigation". You're making s*** right the f*** up. This is something you do regularly. I'm sure it works on juries, but people here aren't buying it.

Is anyone here buying his s***? Anyone perhaps besides shack?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
I dont think its fair to the kids or the fans, but yeah, I think everyone is going to be rooting for Nebraska. And I know the Big Ten is going to be rooting for PSU not to make it to the title game.

More and more details are going to come out. Sandusky also adopted 6 children, was his sexual crimes limited to other people's kids?

I agree entirely with you, but after watching the Happy Valley reaction to Paterno being fired, I honestly don't give a s*** about their fans.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
Oh absolutely, the players are not at fault here. Maybe a more fair way to do it is finish the season, let the players have the USC thing where they can transfer without penalty (aka they can play anywhere in 2012), and then not let Penn State have games in 2012. It just....to me, they should lose games for this.

That will only happen if there is an NCAA violation and sanctions are brought against PSU. If not, they wont let the kids leave. Already their recruiting class has lost a few players including their top ranked guy. I'm sure it will get worse.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
I really wish the arguments about your personal beliefs would continue in another thread so actual news can be shared in here.

You're right. I'm just gonna put him on ignore for the sake of the thread. It's like arguing with a wall that changes its argument and creates lies anyway.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)

At least some of his victims were high school age.

I'm wondering if we'll ever learn that a PSU player was on the list.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)

I'm just confused as to how there is not any outrage by the student or the student's father that Sandusky was actually recruiting for PSU still.

Did you not find that odd?

They were more upset that he had to cross the school off their lists, seemingly.

If true, Paterno and the rest of the staff, as well as the Administration and President, etc., really have absolutely no defense at this point.

I'm going to wait to see if this gets picked up by anyone else before I fully believe it though.

Balta,

A Grand Jury report, is the govts interpretation of the facts. It is entirely 1 sided to prove their case. They do not present any evidence to contrary, even if it may exist.

This is a very important distinction, that people must understand. A Grand Jury report is not fact, its hearsay and considered so unreliable that it can not be even used as evidence.

So I assume that is admitting you have not seen the transcript, and therefore you do not know exactly what was said. Notice the report does not use quotes, that is because they are editorializing the witnesses testimony.

It is not to be used as a fact, it is not to be considered fact, it is the gotvs best/most persuasive argument so that they will not lose on a motion to dismiss. They must plead a prima facie case. That is what this pleading is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
That will only happen if there is an NCAA violation and sanctions are brought against PSU. If not, they wont let the kids leave. Already their recruiting class has lost a few players including their top ranked guy. I'm sure it will get worse.

Oh I know it will never happen. I don't think the NCAA will even end up involved in this, unless Sandusky recruiting for them the last however many years like you have mentioned was illegal.