Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Was there every really any chance that he would?

I still don't know how he could possibly have a successful defense without him on the stand, unless the old "protect penn state" happens to the jury.l

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
I still don't know how he could possibly have a successful defense without him on the stand, unless the old "protect penn state" happens to the jury.l

Frankly, the defense was, first, to intimidate the witnesses (but that didn't seem to work) and, second, hope that the jury won't convict (which is still possible). Otherwise, it doesn't seem that they ever denied that the contact occurred.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
If he is acquitted the federal government will step in and correct the situation.

Yup, they have him flying over state lines for rape. If the PSU jury finds his innocent they will finally be confirmed as the laughing stock of the country.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
This is a state-level trial for now. Crossing state borders would have to be a federal charge, if I understand it correctly.

You do. And the Feds have already made noise about bringing charges against him. If he's in jail for life thanks to the state they probably won't bother, but it sure seems like they probably have a case sitting there waiting.

Its complicated. Something across state lines should almost always be federal jurisdiction. But there is a possibility that there was some state law "illegal transportation of a minor" that could potentially bar the federal claim. Without seeing a federal complaint, its impossible to guess whether double jeopardy would be a problem.

I also wouldnt be so sure that the federal govt will be the knight in shining armor. 2nd Mile had a lot of rich/famous people, the govt doesnt always want to go down that rabbit hole. Or at least not during an election year.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
Its complicated. Something across state lines should almost always be federal jurisdiction. But there is a possibility that there was some state law "illegal transportation of a minor" that could potentially bar the federal claim. Without seeing a federal complaint, its impossible to guess whether double jeopardy would be a problem.

I also wouldnt be so sure that the federal govt will be the knight in shining armor. 2nd Mile had a lot of rich/famous people, the govt doesnt always want to go down that rabbit hole. Or at least not during an election year.

Double jeopardy doesn't apply to different sovereigns. Regardless of the state laws, the federal suit can continue.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Good Lord.

I just read that he was prepared to testify. I can't fathom why he wasn't called.

He probably came forward after the prosecution rested. He would have been used if Sandusky testified to how much he cared about his children, etc.

From the Tribune article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-...0,6833033.story

The session began with Judge John Cleland giving final instructions to jurors ahead of the deliberations, telling them a sex abuse conviction must be based on more than whether a child "feels uncomfortable."

"The critical issue is not that the child feels uncomfortable ... the issue is not what the child felt, the issue is what the adult intended," he said.

That instruction definitely favors Sandusky.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
He probably came forward after the prosecution rested. He would have been used if Sandusky testified to how much he cared about his children, etc.

That has to be it, but I wonder if he could still have been called to rebut similar testimony from the wife.