Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
This thing goes REALLY deep, its going to be worse than many of us thought I'm almost positive.

My first reaction back in November was that more schools would be involved (or employees at schools Penn State was visiting). So I assumed it was bigger, but usually those assumptions are baseless. No matter how bad we think it is, the reality is just so much worse.

You know, the more i read about this f***ing mess the more I think we all f***ed up blaming Paterno right off the bat. This thing was higher than him, he was boxed out. Missing DA's, sex rings, multi-millionaires whoring out victims... even when Paterno got wind of what Sandusky was up to who the hell would say anything? Want to wind up dead? This geezer didn't run Happy Valley the way we all thought he did back in November.

He was a pawn in a big game. If he rats a lot of powerful people go down and he knew it, and now he gets to take all the derision and hatred when we should be trying to look at the broader picture. For a long time now he was set up to be the fall man, the old guy who's time was coming, who had the most at stake and all the people committing these acts knew they could count on him to keep his mouth shut once they posed enough threats. Sandusky was the tip of the iceberg and there's a whole lot more underneath. Paterno happend to be the Titanic.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 04:57 AM)
You know, the more i read about this f***ing mess the more I think we all f***ed up blaming Paterno right off the bat. This thing was higher than him, he was boxed out. Missing DA's, sex rings, multi-millionaires whoring out victims... even when Paterno got wind of what Sandusky was up to who the hell would say anything? Want to wind up dead? This geezer didn't run Happy Valley the way we all thought he did back in November.

He was a pawn in a big game. If he rats a lot of powerful people go down and he knew it, and now he gets to take all the derision and hatred when we should be trying to look at the broader picture. For a long time now he was set up to be the fall man, the old guy who's time was coming, who had the most at stake and all the people committing these acts knew they could count on him to keep his mouth shut once they posed enough threats. Sandusky was the tip of the iceberg and there's a whole lot more underneath. Paterno happend to be the Titanic.

f*** THIS. He had a duty to protect children. He did not. The end.

Everyone involved in every level can burn in hell.

f*** THIS. He had a duty to protect children. He did not. The end.

Everyone involved in every level can burn in hell.

I don't know if you have kids Kyle, but if my family's lives are being threatened, then I probably keep my mouth shut no matter how much evil is going on, though I'm probably going to be constantly sick about it and full of guilt.

Still, as of now I'm not convinced that Paterno knew all of that. I do believe that Curley and Schultz probably knew more and that's why the cover-up centers around them.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
I don't know if you have kids Kyle, but if my family's lives are being threatened, then I probably keep my mouth shut no matter how much evil is going on, though I'm probably going to be constantly sick about it and full of guilt.

Still, as of now I'm not convinced that Paterno knew all of that. I do believe that Curley and Schultz probably knew more and that's why the cover-up centers around them.

I have a 12 year old daughter and 2 year old son, and if I found out this happened to them and it was covered up for a football program to play on, I would be in jail right now.

I have a 12 year old daughter and 2 year old son, and if I found out this happened to them and it was covered up for a football program to play on, I would be in jail right now.

Right, but that's not the situation. Suppose you found out that a very powerful and influential person had been doing this to other people's kids, and that powerful and influential person threatened to kill your kids if you squealed. That's the situation Paterno may or may not have been facing (though I think not).

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Right, but that's not the situation. Suppose you found out that a very powerful and influential person had been doing this to other people's kids, and that powerful and influential person threatened to kill your kids if you squealed. That's the situation Paterno may or may not have been facing (though I think not).

Suppose? Come on now, you are throwing out a possible scenario that will most likely never be proven. Suppose Paterno was the head of the monster and was orchestrating this ring? You dont know any of that, either way.

What we do know, is that Paterno did not protect children that he knew were being abused. This is fact.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Suppose? Come on now, you are throwing out a possible scenario that will most likely never be proven. Suppose Paterno was the head of the monster and was orchestrating this ring? You dont know any of that, either way.

What we do know, is that Paterno did not protect children that he knew were being abused. This is fact.

And let's say that after Joe Paterno was informed of this in 1998 he decided he was going to make sure it stopped and that no more kids were harmed. Who's going to overpower Joe Paterno trying to do the right thing? If he decides he wants to protect the children, however high up it goes, who would be able to say no/tell him to shut up? If he wanted it investigated the local police would have charges filed in, what, a few weeks?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
And let's say that after Joe Paterno was informed of this in 1998 he decided he was going to make sure it stopped and that no more kids were harmed. Who's going to overpower Joe Paterno trying to do the right thing? If he decides he wants to protect the children, however high up it goes, who would be able to say no/tell him to shut up? If he wanted it investigated the local police would have charges filed in, what, a few weeks?

Im not going to argue hypothetic scenarios with you, or HH. Its a waste of time

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Im not going to argue hypothetic scenarios with you, or HH. Its a waste of time

All I was trying to say was, in response to Duke's statement that "this went higher than Paterno" is point out...there was no one higher than Paterno in the state of PA. If he wanted something to happen involving his football team, that would happen, for good or ill.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 04:57 AM)

Paterno was making money on sweet heart deals through the Second Mile. He profited, along with others, off the cover up. I doubt this has anything to do with death threats.

Why are we talking Paterno, here? He's dead and buried, his reputation is toast, and he lost his wins record. What should be discussed is how more people can be brought to justice for their heinous crimes, and also, why the f*** did so many rich old men want to rape young boys?

This world is a f***ed up place.

All I was trying to say was, in response to Duke's statement that "this went higher than Paterno" is point out...there was no one higher than Paterno in the state of PA. If he wanted something to happen involving his football team, that would happen, for good or ill.

That is so abundantly untrue.

And without Joe Paterno this isn't a story... dont kid yourselves'. The media and public love getting the chance to tear someone down.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
That is so abundantly untrue.

And without Joe Paterno this isn't a story... dont kid yourselves'. The media and public love getting the chance to tear someone down.

You're right. If it was a USC or Ohio State coach that molested dozens of kids, it wouldn't be a story.

GMAFB

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
I said this early on and I still stand by it, Paterno was used to deflect focus. You offer up a sacrificial lamb and you hope that satisfies the blood lust.

Something really bad happened, Im not sure if anyone will ever get to the bottom.

I agree sorta. I think the BOT at PSU sees that there is more to it, but are hoping the people in place at the time (from 1998 on) is enough to satisfy the investigators and the press. We all know that there is someone out there who wont stop though so we should get all the story at some point.

Its clear to me there are more powerful people involved than even Saint Joe himself.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Why are we talking Paterno, here? He's dead and buried, his reputation is toast, and he lost his wins record. What should be discussed is how more people can be brought to justice for their heinous crimes, and also, why the f*** did so many rich old men want to rape young boys?

This world is a f***ed up place.

Yes, it is a f***ed up place. A thought just crossed my mind. The timing of Paterno's passing could prove to be a convenient occurance for some people. Stranger things have happened and who knows exacty how far up the, for the lack of a better analogy, food chain this goes. And don't fool yourself that Paterno was the top of the chain. ... Steve, not pointed at you. You're post is made me have this thought.