Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Seriously, how can anyone read the Grand Jury Report and think Joe Paterno doesn't need to be fired... regardless if he "reported" what he knew. F*cking page 2 talks of Sandusky bringing a child to Penn State practice sometime after 2007. Yup, and even though Paterno knew of Sandusky's perverted, disgusting acts of the past, he did nothing to PROECT A HELPLESS CHILD.

Give me a f***ing break. Note the dates below, as they happen well after 1998, when Joe Paterno undoubtedly had knowledge of Sandusky's evil ways.

That's just blatant disregard for that poor kid's safety. JoePa knows, with absolutely no doubt, that Sandusky rapes and molests little boys. Oh, but he reported the past incident, so it's not HIS problem. He has to focus on coaching football, after all.

But yes, poor Joe Paterno. He just wants to coach football. These innocent children he carelessly enabled that monster Sandusky to associate with... well, that's not his fault. He didn't DO IT. The media are the true monsters here, making Joe Paterno seem like some sort of asshole who has no problem with the rape of children. Remember... "beat Nebraska!"

The man held a pep rally on his f***ing lawn today. F*ck him.

Who here has said he shouldn't be fired?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Steve, I believe that was also after he was banned from taking children with him on PSU campus.

And we all know it is 80-something year old Joe Paterno who is in charge of enforcing bans on the PSU campus.

Again, this is on the University, the Administration, the campus police, the local and state authorities...there are so many parties to blame with regard to all of these incidents before you get to Joe Paterno.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Seriously, how can anyone read the Grand Jury Report and think Joe Paterno doesn't need to be fired... regardless if he "reported" what he knew. F*cking page 2 talks of Sandusky bringing a child to Penn State practice sometime after 2007. Yup, and even though Paterno knew of Sandusky's perverted, disgusting acts of the past, he did nothing to PROECT A HELPLESS CHILD.

Give me a f***ing break. Note the dates below, as they happen well after 1998, when Joe Paterno undoubtedly had knowledge of Sandusky's evil ways.

That's just blatant disregard for that poor kid's safety. JoePa knows, with absolutely no doubt, that Sandusky rapes and molests little boys. Oh, but he reported the past incident, so it's not HIS problem. He has to focus on coaching football, after all.

But yes, poor Joe Paterno. He just wants to coach football. These innocent children he carelessly enabled that monster Sandusky to associate with... well, that's not his fault. He didn't DO IT. The media are the true monsters here, making Joe Paterno seem like some sort of asshole who has no problem with the rape of children. Remember... "beat Nebraska!"

The man held a pep rally on his f***ing lawn today. F*ck him.

lol. Welcome to the conversation. We all think he should be fired/resign.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
I personally think he should resign. I assume he thinks that is admitting guilt which is going to force the BOD's hand.

Fired, resign, lose his job, however you want to put it...I don't think many, if any, that have been participating in this discussion would argue with any of those results.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Who here has said he shouldn't be fired?

If the longest running head football coach in U.S. collegiate history has committed an offense that is fireable by even his defender's opinion...and he is refusing to resign, then you've just set up why this is the biggest story in sports, and why that coach will receive extra attention and extra blame.

A coach committing an offense for which he should be fired, and then refusing to resign, in a major sports program, that is something for which the coach is going to receive heavy criticism.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
And we all know it is 80-something year old Joe Paterno who is in charge of enforcing bans on the PSU campus.

Again, this is on the University, the Administration, the campus police, the local and state authorities...there are so many parties to blame with regard to all of these incidents before you get to Joe Paterno.

Is he or is he not the head of the football program? Wouldnt he be the person to ban someone from his practices?? Wouldnt he be the correct person to call the police or other authorities when he saw Sandusky illegally taking a child to his practice? How far can you go with this ignorance defense?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
If the longest running head football coach in U.S. collegiate history has committed an offense that is fireable by even his defender's opinion...and he is refusing to resign, then you've just set up why this is the biggest story in sports, and why that coach will receive extra attention and extra blame.

A coach committing an offense for which he should be fired, and then refusing to resign, in a major sports program, that is something for which the coach is going to receive heavy criticism.

Balta, I don't have a problem with it being a big sports story.

Just spare me the intro of "this is the darkest, most sickening thing one can possibly imagine..." and THATS WHY JOE PATERNO NEEDS TO BE FIRED act.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
So you're telling me I am just speculating that the direct supervisor of an employee would be informed of the details of an official investigation regarding said employee's conduct with children ON CAMPUS and in the football building?

Come on man. Joe didnt know why Sandusky was forced into retirement? He never asked a question, he wasnt present at any meetings? Maybe he is the dumbest most ignorant guy of all time then.

The next two paragraphs in your post make me think you are totally fine with forgiving people who make a mistake (not commit a crime) and are regretful for it, especially if they have done so much good over their lives and career. I, as a Tressel fan, fully support your viewpoint there.

Dude, all bets are off at this school and the procedure in which information is shared. Clearly there are f*** ups all over this thing, so no, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that something Sandusky was caught doing (and which was covered up by campus police) might have slipped past a 74-75 year old Paterno, who was probably more concerned about not pissing his pants during a game than what trouble one of his guys was getting into (in 1998). And if i recall correctly, the grand jury said nothing about Paterno knowing about it or being involved in it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Is he or is he not the head of the football program? Wouldnt he be the person to ban someone from his practices?? Wouldnt he be the correct person to call the police or other authorities when he saw Sandusky illegally taking a child to his practice? How far can you go with this ignorance defense?

Seriously, do you see how thick his glasses are? Do you think most head coaches, let alone those that shouldn't even be driving anymore, really know everyone who is at their practices?

And how do you know he didn't find out and say get that sick sob away from my practices? We just don't know right now.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
He did his due diligence at the time that has been deemed appropriate. Yeah, in total hindsight he should've done more. But it's not nearly as black and white as some are making it out to be.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
lol. Welcome to the conversation. We all think he should be fired/resign.

So you both claim he did absolutely nothing wrong, at the time, but should be fired.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
And how do you know he didn't find out and say get that sick sob away from my practices? We just don't know right now.

Because making that kind of scene about a random former assistant coach showing up to practice with a young boy would kind of...um...make people start to wonder what the deal was and whether there should be police involved.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Because making that kind of scene about a random former assistant coach showing up to practice with a young boy would kind of...um...make people start to wonder what the deal was and whether there should be police involved.

The police caught him redhanded and nothing was done...I don't really know how that could have happened, but if they're not going to arrest him for admitting to showering with a young boy, I don't see how they'd arrest him for going to a football practice.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
Dammit, people, this is children being raped. Anyone who thinks JoePa & Co did nothing wrong by doing the absolute least required by law (though they may not have) is just insane.

Also, Joe Pa's little ra-ra session on his lawn today, finishing with "Beat Nebraska!" followed by cheers from mindless idiots is everything that's wrong with the world.

"These poor victims. Beat Nebraska!"

psu3-600x399.jpg

BTW, that's the "Greeting" Joe Paterno got upon arriving at his house last night.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
The police caught him redhanded and nothing was done...I don't really know how that could have happened, but if they're not going to arrest him for admitting to showering with a young boy, I don't see how they'd arrest him for going to a football practice.

But if Paterno made a big scene about him having a young boy at that football practice, that's a "wait, wtf"? moment.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)
Dude, all bets are off at this school and the procedure in which information is shared. Clearly there are f*** ups all over this thing, so no, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that something Sandusky was caught doing (and which was covered up by campus police) might have slipped past a 74-75 year old Paterno, who was probably more concerned about not pissing his pants during a game than what trouble one of his guys was getting into (in 1998). And if i recall correctly, the grand jury said nothing about Paterno knowing about it or being involved in it.

So at this point the defense is "he's too old and senile to understand what child molestation is"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
But if Paterno made a big scene about him having a young boy at that football practice, that's a "wait, wtf"? moment.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean he would have known during practice or made a scene. I was thinking more along the lines of he heard later that Sandusky had been seen there and was angry about it.

I honestly have no clue, but I have seen major college football practices. There are often times hundreds of people walking around. I wouldn't be shocked if Paterno simply had no clue.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
So at this point the defense is "he's too old and senile to understand what child molestation is"?

Last week you would have told us he was too old and senile to know what's going on with his football program. Now you'd have us believe he knows every detail of what goes on on the entire campus.

I think the hope is that he will leave with a little dignity if that is even possible. The man has been at the school for 50 years. I think the school's stance is that while he obviously did not do as much as he could/should have he was not criminally wrong with what he did and it would be good to let him go out on his own terms. Maybe he has earned that right maybe not but it really is wrong to completely judge him without him telling his side of the story. The guy has become a fictional character for many years now who knows what is going on in his head anymore.

Paterno seemed to attempt to distance himself from the situation by alienating Sandusky in the late 90's. Paterno is a football coach, not necessarily rocket science. He handed this issue off and I guess assumed the right folks were handling it. He did not take the initiative to see things through as far as we know. He may have asked and gotten answers he liked. He is not the enforcement wing of the school. The coach was fired the university let him hand around. We do not know what Paterno thought of him but he obviously gave him some benefit of the doubt which folks higher up at PSU and law enforcement should not have. Paterno knew the guy for 30 years.

The DA in this case, is a real odd story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar

The DA and others are far greater to blame than Paterno. It is kind of sad that he will go out wheater after the season or today like this.

Jerry Sandusky should rot in eternal hell and may end up like Jeffrey Dahmer. Prison does not do those guys good.

GA student didn't report it to the police

GA student's dad, didn't report it to the police

What exactly did he say had happened in 2002? I'm still not clear on that point. I'm kind of shocked that this many people heard the Sandusky was raping a 10 year old in the shower and none of them reported it. That doesn't seem possible. If that's the case, why the hell isn't the GA arrested for failing to report a crime to the police?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
So you both claim he did absolutely nothing wrong, at the time, but should be fired.

No, that's how you choose to see it. I said I don't blame him for not marching over to the police station the minute he was confronted with these accusations. Strange, Rock and others think that was the no-doubt-about-it first course of action. And since he didn't go that route he should be tarred and feathered. Or even if he simply 'trusted' those above him to handle the situation that he's equally, or almost equally, culpable. I say bull f***ing s***. BUT, at the same time, he's DEFINITELY guilty of being stupid, naive, too trusting and whatever else you want to come up with. How would he have handled the situation had one of his grandchildren been the possible victim? That's fair criticism. But I'm going to wait until ALL the facts come out. This is a huge story and will be for a while. As far as him being fired? Yes, because he, at the moment, is indirectly responsible or plays some role in what happened. And now the university is going to have this hanging over them for all-time. From now on, when you think PSU, you're going to think of children being molested. He has to take some responsibility for that. And a fine or suspension will not cut it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
GA student didn't report it to the police

GA student's dad, didn't report it to the police

What exactly did he say had happened in 2002? I'm still not clear on that point. I'm kind of shocked that this many people heard the Sandusky was raping a 10 year old in the shower and none of them reported it. That doesn't seem possible. If that's the case, why the hell isn't the GA arrested for failing to report a crime to the police?

That's not really how our legal system works.

He has to comply with any police investigations if he witnessed anything, or he could be charged with obstruction. But we don't go around arresting civilians for failing to report crimes.