Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
No, we DON'T know Paterno KNEW what was going on. I've read about ten different articles. Did I miss something? Feel free to post something that will set me straight.

We know that Paterno was specifically told about the 2002 incident. We don't know what he knew about the 1998 investigation that led to Sandusky's retirement.

But in 2002 it was an allegation and nothing more. A very serious one. You better be damn sure you've got your facts straight before you go to the police. That type of stuff can ruin someone's life for eternity, innocent or guilty.

You've got an eye witness whom you've known for years. I might not want to believe it but I really hope I wouldn't be in denial and refuse to believe it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
In other words, he agrees with me so he's cool.

No, seriously, if you know someone who is threatening suicide, you really, really should bring in professional help--someone who is trained and educated on how to deal with those situations. That doesn't necessarily mean the police.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
We know that Paterno was specifically told about the 2002 incident. We don't know what he knew about the 1998 investigation that led to Sandusky's retirement.

You've got an eye witness whom you've known for years. I might not want to believe it but I really hope I wouldn't be in denial and refuse to believe it.

There's that word I've used about 50 times today.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
No, seriously, if you know someone who is threatening suicide, you really, really should bring in professional help--someone who is trained and educated on how to deal with those situations. That doesn't necessarily mean the police.

Hey, then you've got all the answers to any given situation. I know I don't. And I won't demonize anybody who doesn't.

To get back on track of how much of a monster this guy is, it's so very creepy the way he followed the same protocol almost to a T with each victim. He'd touch their left thighs on car rides, then he'd exercise with them (perhaps wrestle), then get them to shower even if they didn't want to do so. And when the child inevitably chooses a shower far from his, he convinces them to come closer, and slowly initiates contact and eventually holds the child in place physically to do whatever sick thing he felt. He is truly a predator in nearly every sense of the word.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
Hey, then you've got all the answers to any given situation. I know I don't. And I won't demonize anybody who doesn't.

This is a pretty bizarre response to a post advocating finding the right people with the right answers when you're not qualified.

Anyway, I damn sure do know that child rape is wrong and that it should be reported, and that if the person I report it to doesn't do anything, I should press the issue. I will demonize people who fail to grasp basic societal obligations.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Anyway, I damn sure do know that child rape is wrong and that it should be reported, and that if the person I report it to doesn't do anything, I should press the issue. I will demonize people who fail to grasp basic societal obligations.

This. And apparently since I agree with you and have stated the exact same thing a number of times, J4L will just quote this and make fun of me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
To get back on track of how much of a monster this guy is, it's so very creepy the way he followed the same protocol almost to a T with each victim. He'd touch their left thighs on car rides, then he'd exercise with them (perhaps wrestle), then get them to shower even if they didn't want to do so. And when the child inevitably chooses a shower far from his, he convinces them to come closer, and slowly initiates contact and eventually holds the child in place physically to do whatever sick thing he felt. He is truly a predator in nearly every sense of the word.

I've read the GJ report, but I've also largely blocked it from my mind.

And J4L, let's use your "beating" scenario and make it relate a bit more. Instead of an adult female being beaten, let's say an 8 year old boy tells you he's been beaten by an adult, or you witness it. Is it not your moral obligation to ensure he's taken out of harm's way?

Children cannot be expected to shoulder this burden. A responsible adult, or in this case, many responsible adults need to act on the child's behalf to ensure the child is safe for the foreseeable future, and the crimes are not repeated.

Everyone who knew and let Sandusky continue to conduct his sick acts while turning a blind eye and doing their minimum responsibility has the rape and molestation of many more boys on THEIR hands.

This includes Joe Paterno.

"Beat Nebraska!"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
This is a pretty bizarre response to a post advocating finding the right people with the right answers when you're not qualified.

No. You're hyper-sensitive and you got apes*** when somebody disagrees with you (check the Beckham thread if you think I'm making s*** up).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
This. And apparently since I agree with you and have stated the exact same thing a number of times, J4L will just quote this and make fun of me.

Yes, because you didn't attack me like five different times before I even responded once to you.

Wait a f***ing second. This might have been mentioned and I glossed over it, but that DA who decided not to follow up with the case in 1998 has been missing since 2005 and was declared legally dead in July of this year.

I don't even know what to think about that in regards to this case. Anyone? Complete coincidence?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
And J4L, let's use your "beating" scenario and make it relate a bit more. Instead of an adult female being beaten, let's say an 8 year old boy tells you he's been beaten by an adult, or you witness it. Is it not your moral obligation to ensure he's taken out of harm's way?

Children cannot be expected to shoulder this burden. A responsible adult, or in this case, many responsible adults need to act on the child's behalf to ensure the child is safe for the foreseeable future, and the crimes are not repeated.

Everyone who knew and let Sandusky continue to conduct his sick acts while turning a blind eye and doing their minimum responsibility has the rape and molestation of many more boys on THEIR hands.

This includes Joe Paterno.

"Beat Nebraska!"

Look, I gave an example of a situation in which the solution should be clear but at times other s*** comes into play. All I said was that I can see Joe's dilemma at the time in question. Now until a new law has passed that makes being naive/denial a crime, I will not dismiss Joe as some heartless supporter of child molestation that should be figuratively burned alive.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Wait a f***ing second. This might have been mentioned and I glossed over it, but that DA who decided not to follow up with the case in 1998 has been missing since 2005 and was declared legally dead in July of this year.

I don't even know what to think about that in regards to this case. Anyone? Complete coincidence?

I heard that yesterday, there's just absolutely no way that can be a complete coincidence, right?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
I heard that yesterday, there's just absolutely no way that can be a complete coincidence, right?

Of course there is. "Going missing" is not something that happens everydya, but it's not completely impossible, and for a DA, the guy has probably handled thousands of cases over the years which could provide motive.

I mean it could be related, but it's certainly entirely possible that it's just a coincidence.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
Look, I gave an example of a situation in which the solution should be clear but at times other s*** comes into play. All I said was that I can see Joe's dilemma at the time in question. Now until a new law has passed that makes being naive/denial a crime, I will not dismiss Joe as some heartless supporter of child molestation that should be figuratively burned alive.

Joe could have been in denial. That's an explanation for his actions, not justification.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
Of course there is. "Going missing" is not something that happens everydya, but it's not completely impossible, and for a DA, the guy has probably handled thousands of cases over the years which could provide motive.

I mean it could be related, but it's certainly entirely possible that it's just a coincidence.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
Yeah, I doubt they are related. He's a DA with tons of cases. Kind of weird that would happen 7 years after the fact.

Ya, that was a pretty stupid comment on my part. I'm so immersed in this Penn State thing that I forgot that you know...DA's have other cases. My bad.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Then what is your argument?

He did nothing wrong.

He should be fired.

What are you arguing back and forth for when you clearly have conflicted opinions?

I can't be Balta and SS2K5. Post and post and post and post and post and post and post and post until I get the last word in. I've been posting all f***ing day. If you can't see where I'm coming from then oh well. I'm done with this thread for today.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
I can't be Balta and SS2K5. Post and post and post and post and post and post and post and post until I get the last word in. I've been posting all f***ing day. If you can't see where I'm coming from then oh well. I'm done with this thread for today.

I still have no idea what you're trying to convince anyone of if you don't think he did anything wrong yet still think he should be fired. That's all I'm saying.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
That's not really how our legal system works.

He has to comply with any police investigations if he witnessed anything, or he could be charged with obstruction. But we don't go around arresting civilians for failing to report crimes.

But we fire and destroy a career and reputation of anyone he might have told about it. God, we're screwed up in this country.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
An 8 year old was raped in the shower. If that's not your first action, it's the action you ensure happens after you report. There's no if's about it. Paterno, and everyone else in that sick college town enabled it.

Are we talking about the eye witness, his dad, or Paterno?