Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we also have to recognize that Sandusky is innocent until proven guilty.

A grand jury indictment is not even close to a conviction.

This is just to be devils advocate, but what happens if it turns out that Sandusky is innocent?

It would be a lot different if Sandusky was convicted.

The only acceptable outcome is to railroad some one on a grand jury indictment, where they arent even charged with a crime? Where they didnt even see the crime? Where they only heard about it a day after it happened and reported it to their superiors for further investigation?

I think there are a lot of other acceptable outcomes and some of them include not rushing to judgment.

I personally think Paterno is done as a coach, but to fire him over this is just an excuse to get rid of the guy. If he was 30 years younger and in his prime, this story has a way different outcome.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
The only acceptable outcome is to railroad some one on a grand jury indictment, where they arent even charged with a crime? Where they didnt even see the crime? Where they only heard about it a day after it happened and reported it to their superiors for further investigation?

I think there are a lot of other acceptable outcomes and some of them include not rushing to judgment.

I personally think Paterno is done as a coach, but to fire him over this is just an excuse to get rid of the guy. If he was 30 years younger and in his prime, this story has a way different outcome.

Doubt it. Nor should it make a difference.

Edited by IlliniKrush

It absolutely should make a difference.

Paterno is an old man, he cant fight this. If he was 30 years younger, you think he goes down this way?

At worst the guy made a significant error in judgment that is completely unrelated to his job.

At minimum he deserves some sort of investigation/hearing where he can speak with PSU about what actions he took and whether or not he followed the rules of the school. Because he did nothing wrong legally (based on the current facts, which is why its way to early because grand juries are jokes, basically anything can be used as evidence, regardless of the whether it could be used at trial).

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I think we also have to recognize that Sandusky is innocent until proven guilty.

A grand jury indictment is not even close to a conviction.

This is just to be devils advocate, but what happens if it turns out that Sandusky is innocent?

It would be a lot different if Sandusky was convicted.

Is that why there have been no denials and everyone is being fired?

There are going to be plenty of false reports coming in soon but this guy is not innocent.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
It absolutely should make a difference.

Paterno is an old man, he cant fight this. If he was 30 years younger, you think he goes down this way?

At worst the guy made a significant error in judgment that is completely unrelated to his job.

At minimum he deserves some sort of investigation/hearing where he can speak with PSU about what actions he took and whether or not he followed the rules of the school. Because he did nothing wrong legally.

His age should make a difference? He should be fired regardless.

To the bolded - if that's how you want to sum up this whole situation...wow.

Read this when you get a moment and aren't concerned strictly with the legality of this s***.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_...no-retire-terms

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)

LOL. Right. A guy directly involved in the non-reporting of repeated child molestation should keep his job. Come on, take off your defense lawyer hat and look at the facts. At least 9 kids were raped right under his nose, and he knew about at least 2 instances.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
Just turned on ESPN and saw it. Glad someone came to their senses. This was the only acceptable outcome.

Agreed. He didn't deserve the forgiving title of retirement. Penn State's board is doing what they can to restore the image of the university. Everyone at PSU is treating him like the Pope. This is unacceptable behavior and they need to show they agree with that.

Is there any evidence that Paterno witnessed a crime?

Any evidence at all.

Im seriously asking because you are all taking a grand jury indictment as fact, when its completely bogus.

Everyone got their pound of flesh, but what is being done to Paterno isnt right. He isnt the criminal here, he isnt the one that saw a child being abused, he is the guy who reported to his superiors as he is supposed.

He had 0 credible evidence to call the police about, its seriously absurd.

But yes I get that its far easier to crucify everyone, than to ask yourself, should Paterno be given a fair chance to defend his actions.

Im sure you all know at a grand jury you dont get to present any exculpatory evidence, and that a grand jury is nothing like a real trial and that many people are indicted and found innocent.

/shrugs

I get that it easy to say lets kill Paterno, but some of us have to try and be fair, regardless of how terrible the crime may be.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Is there any evidence that Paterno witnessed a crime?

Any evidence at all.

Im seriously asking because you are all taking a grand jury indictment as fact, when its completely bogus.

SO the Grand Jury report is all lies? Do tell.

Paterno didnt witness a crime, but he was aware that it occurred, at least twice he was told by people who witnessed it. He and his superiors did NOTHING about it. Thats why they all lost their jobs and for good reason. I wouldnt want people who cannot do the right thing when it comes to crimes against children to represent my organization. Maybe you wouldnt mind it I guess.

lol, GTFO Paterno.

and lol@ whoever thought it would be a good idea to get Paterno out in front of students and then try to tell the BOT that he'd retire at the end of the season so there's no reason to waste the BOT time on discussing this matter.

If this was another program and this was NCAA violations instead of child molestation people would be calling for not only firing but the death penalty of the program. What is it about JoePa that makes this such a defensible cover up? Its so strange to see those positions on fb and the like.

At a Grand Jury you can present evidence that would not be allowed at trial, such a hearsay evidence from people who never saw the crime, etc.

All an indictment does is allow the govt. to actual prosecute the case.

Calling a guy guilty after an indictment and taking it for fact, is the equivalent of calling a team the Super Bowl champion because they won their first game.

Once again, Paterno reported entirely unreliable evidence to his superiors. He could have called the police, but if he called the police and it turned out this was wrong, he ruined his friends life. Thats not exactly a great position for any human to be in.

As you see, even being an alleged child molester is enough to ruin your life. Paterno chose to tell the appropriate people. He chose not to go beyond.

Its a terrible tragedy, but destroying Paterno doesnt fix it. It just completely screws the situation, because now Paterno is a villain.

The simple fact is that in the future all a coach will do is not report it. Had Paterno just completely covered it up and lied, he never is touchable. Kind of sad.

By all accounts Paterno has been nothing but a saint for PSU, we all make mistakes. And even if its entirely true, I still think its hard to justify firing Paterno for not calling the police.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:52 PM)
By all accounts Paterno has been nothing but a saint for PSU, we all make mistakes. And even if its entirely true, I still think its hard to justify firing Paterno for not calling the police.

Jesus christ man, this is more than f***in mistake.