Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
Once again, Paterno reported entirely unreliable evidence to his superiors. He could have called the police, but if he called the police and it turned out this was wrong, he ruined his friends life. Thats not exactly a great position for any human to be in.

Instead what happened?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
This really needs to be put in perspective.

Brian Kelly's direct action caused the death of a student, he is still coaching today. There was no talk of ND death penalty. Its crazy how people swarm and want to destroy a guy.

This doesn't help prove your point. Kelly should have been fired too. Just because ND is made up of a bunch of spineless cowards doesn't make it OK to keep Paterno around.

I'm surprised you're still posting, figured you be on your way to PSU to chant "one more game" and "we want Joe" with all the assclown students.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
Well, one thing is clear, the Board of Trustees acted in the correct way with cleaning house of the people that were at least aware of the information. All except McQueary.

I'm still catching up, but McQueary absolutely has to go. No two ways about it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Is there any evidence that Paterno witnessed a crime?

Any evidence at all.

Im seriously asking because you are all taking a grand jury indictment as fact, when its completely bogus.

Everyone got their pound of flesh, but what is being done to Paterno isnt right. He isnt the criminal here, he isnt the one that saw a child being abused, he is the guy who reported to his superiors as he is supposed.

He had 0 credible evidence to call the police about, its seriously absurd.

But yes I get that its far easier to crucify everyone, than to ask yourself, should Paterno be given a fair chance to defend his actions.

Im sure you all know at a grand jury you dont get to present any exculpatory evidence, and that a grand jury is nothing like a real trial and that many people are indicted and found innocent.

/shrugs

I get that it easy to say lets kill Paterno, but some of us have to try and be fair, regardless of how terrible the crime may be.

Aw, you're better than us. Go provide your services to Paterno for free, then. Nobody here gives a s*** about your defense attorney crap.

There are people protesting the firing of Joe Paterno and holding rallies to support him? Are you freaking kidding me? I know they're over zealous college kids, but even when I was an 18 year old freshman in college I knew that covering up a child rapist is a pretty horrific thing.

A few years from now, a LOT of people are going to feel REALLY stupid that they were supporting Joe Paterno.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Im not even sure what you are trying to say.

But I do get that its a lot easier to react to terrible tragedies by wanting to kill everyone as some sort of an attempt to make things right. Unfortunately there is really no correlation. Destroying Paterno wont save more children from being molested, it will just destroy an 84 year old man.

I understand the easy answers, I just choose to give the hard but just answer.

My God, your cockiness is beyond infuriating.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Its awful dude, I feel really bad for you. The fan base, students and players did nothing wrong here and they will face incredible scrutiny and obstacles in the near future. I would say continue to wear your PSU gear with pride, its the only thing you can do.

Thanks, dude.

I read a FB comment from some clown the other day who criticized our holier-than-thou attitude, and told us that in spite of that, we are actually worse people than those at other schools. And I was just like, WTF? Is this what I have to put up with now? I didn't rape any children or fail to report someone else raping children.

I'm not a worse person because of this. Just like I'm not a worse person for being in the same Army as guys like Calvin Gibbs, who led the "kill team" in Afghanistan a while back. f*** that noise.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Rock,

Reuben Carter spent how many years in jail. If people stop, people get railroaded. I may be right, I may be wrong, but I damn well am going to uncover every stone, go through every damn piece of evidence, before I ruin a guys life.

I dont care if its the most heinous crime and the most unlikable victim, Im going to make sure that I damn well know everything.

So tell me to stop, but remember that anyone can be falsely accused and that if no one is there to challenge the accusations, we will all be sorry.

There is plenty of time to find out the facts, its not like Paterno coaching 4 more games is going to change the fact that the school let him coach for 9 years after the incident, entirely aware of the incident. It seems hypocritical that PSU only cares now that there is a firestorm of media.

But none of its really relevant, this is about the simple fact that the American system has been so screwed up that people take dicta statements in an govt complaint as fact.

(And dont worry I wont post to you again, I already had done this before you requested.)

Haha, perfect that you would bring up The Hurricane. Besides being sensationalized by a movie and Bob Dylan, the evidence overwhelmingly suggests that he was guilty. Go look it up.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
There are people protesting the firing of Joe Paterno and holding rallies to support him? Are you freaking kidding me? I know they're over zealous college kids, but even when I was an 18 year old freshman in college I knew that covering up a child rapist is a pretty horrific thing.

A few years from now, a LOT of people are going to feel REALLY stupid that they were supporting Joe Paterno.

These kids look like idiots.

Milkman,

Ive looked it up, but thanks for the tip.

If Paterno wasnt 84 at worst PSU would suspend him without pay pending an investigation into his actions.

It doesnt matter anymore, but had Paterno's superiors followed the law, we wouldnt be having this conversation. It was the superiors who committed the criminal acts.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:15 PM)
Danman,

It goes with if Paterno was 30 years younger.

The guy just cant fight this, its so completely out of the guys character, and from the reports there is no allegations that Paterno failed to report some of the abuse. That would be where I think youd have to fire him, if he knew about things and didnt report it. But under Pennsylvania law, its the duty of the school to report once Paterno did. So there really is no reason for him to believe that another person in his school was going to break the law.

If a teacher at a school tells a Principal that they think they see some one with drugs, the teacher then doesnt call the police to double check that the Principal properly investigated. It just stands to reason that there was a proper investigation done. Paterno was not even called to any other meetings.

It doesn't matter if he legally did anything wrong. You don't have to commit a crime to fail at a responsibility of your job.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Rioting

That's good...the students rallying outside his house was bad enough, but this is really not the image Penn State wanted to add to after this mess.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Milkman,

If Paterno wasnt 84 at worst PSU would suspend him without pay pending an investigation into his actions.

It doesnt matter anymore, but had Paterno's superiors followed the law, we wouldnt be having this conversation. It was the superiors who committed the criminal acts.

Depends. If the AD told the President he was just following protocol by telling his boss and he could have just thought he followed through. So he shouldnt have lost his job as well right?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Milkman,

And has been stated repeatedly in this thread, the criminal acts have nothing to do with this. We're not looking for Paterno to go to jail. We're all in agreement that he would be found not guilty in court, as he did the bare minimum to prevent something like that. That doesn't save his job, though. He'd have saved his job if he followed up on the allegations or contacted the police himself/forced his supervisors into doing it. And let's not act like he didn't have the power.

Milkman,

Paterno has a contract, The only reason Penn State can get away with this is Paterno already said hed retire and they know they know he wont fight it.

Obviously I havent seen Joe's contract, but I suspect that there are pretty specific reasons for being terminated, and none of them include failing to call the police after reporting an incident to the school.

Paterno is taking the fall for PSU, Im not sure why more people dont see this. PSU is the one who failed here.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
Milkman,

Paterno has a contract, The only reason Penn State can get away with this is Paterno already said hed retire and they know they know he wont fight it.

Obviously I havent seen Joe's contract, but I suspect that there are pretty specific reasons for being terminated, and none of them include failing to call the police after reporting an incident to the school.

Paterno is taking the fall for PSU, Im not sure why more people dont see this. PSU is the one who failed here.

Paterno also failed. And I believe Rock already pointed out a rule from the NCAA that says you can basically fire a coach for not being a good role model or some s***.

I dont believe that these incidents define what Joe Paterno has done for thousands of other people. If Paterno isnt a frail old man, this is treated completely differently.

He just cant stand up for himself and the school is screwing him again. The first time they screwed him by not following the law and now they are screwing him by pretending that they are now concerned about an incident that happened 9 years ago.

Once again PSU has known what Paterno did since 2002, if it was such a bad offense, why was he only fired now?

This isnt news to PSU board of trustees, you dont think they were aware of the facts while the grand jury was going on?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Ad3HKlDCEAEkRcp.jpg

Rioting

Also known as peaceful protesting.

Sure, said protesting is over a man who did not go above the call of duty to ensure 8 year olds don't get raped, but still, its nit rioting.

It is, however, quite stupid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)

Sure, said protesting is over a man who did not go above the call of duty to ensure 8 year olds don't get raped, but still, its nit rioting.

When vans get flipped over and rocks are thrown at police officers/firemen, I'd say they crossed the line from peaceful protesting to rioting.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)

You obviously arent watching TV. They are turning over cars, lightpoles and TV trucks. The police are gassing them. Its a riot.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
I dont believe that these incidents define what Joe Paterno has done for thousands of other people. If Paterno isnt a frail old man, this is treated completely differently.

He just cant stand up for himself and the school is screwing him again. The first time they screwed him by not following the law and now they are screwing him by pretending that they are now concerned about an incident that happened 9 years ago.

Once again PSU has known what Paterno did since 2002, if it was such a bad offense, why was he only fired now?

This isnt news to PSU board of trustees, you dont think they were aware of the facts while the grand jury was going on?

So wait, you're saying that the entire school or BOT is at fault there? Because I'd have to say that's incorrect. I seriously doubt very few people on the BOT knew about the allegations. It sounds like the buck got passed from McQueary to Paterno, and then from Paterno to Curley to Schultz. That seems to be about it.

Milkman,

Its pretty improbable that the BOT was in the dark about such a serious situation. Especially when people like Paterno start getting summoned to grand juries. They at least knew about it while the investigation was going on, so if they knew Paterno did not report it to the police 5 months ago, a year ago, 9 years ago, why are they only firing him now?

The answer is because they want to diffuse the situation and most people are going to be satisfied with the sacrificial lamb, Paterno. No one at PSU wants the real question to be asked, How did you let this happen. How could Penn State not know what is going on, how could they have so little control that they dont even know about an ex coach raping kids in a locker room.

That is what should be the most troublesome. That all of these incidents occurred and PSU is basically taking the position only 3 people knew. That just cant be.