Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
Ad3WbAXCEAELgnk.jpg

Well looks like the protestors were nice enough to move the van for the media.

Looks pretty peaceful to me. Very kind actions from these intellectual students!

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
You obviously arent watching TV. They are turning over cars, lightpoles and TV trucks. The police are gassing them. Its a riot.

Sorry, apparently ESPN is awful at this. I checked CNN, but it was Piers Morgan interviewing Darrell Hammond.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
I like espns two field reporters. One is going on and on about how violent the protests are. Then they go to the next one who keeps saying how peaceful it is. This bickering has gone on for the last two hours.

CNN was doing a great job earlier in the evening, but then they went back to their normal programming. Now we're stuck with ESPN, which has been pretty much terrible. At least they've (mostly) gotten away from just using their row of talking heads and have actually featured first hand reports, even though they've been a little contradictory.

Edited by Felix

Well, the flipped news van sure doesn't make us look good. They need to cut this s*** out right now.

I'd say this is like any massive college (or youth) demonstration/gathering/protest/etc. A lot of people want to simply mourn the sad ending of a great career, and yet others come out just because they fancy the idea of causing trouble.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
For what it's worth, The Daily Collegian has been on top of everything tonight. Strongly recommend looking at their twitter feed if you're interested.

Thanks. EsPN is so attrocious when it comes to truths.

Apparently, PSU students feel 8 year olds being raped and people being fired for knowing about and doing nothing about it is ok, as long as the man donates money for a library and coaches your team since Harry Truman was our President.

From the sound of it, multiple television trucks, light posts and street signs have been turn down/destroyed. There were reports of a fire earlier, but haven't heard anything else about that, so I'm thinking it didn't gain steam.

QUOTE (Felix @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:53 PM)
From the sound of it, multiple television trucks, light posts and street signs have been turn down/destroyed. There were reports of a fire earlier, but haven't heard anything else about that, so I'm thinking it didn't gain steam.

If anyone wants to watch the full press conference from earlier: http://deadspin.com/5858146/

Or one of the vans getting toppled: http://deadspin.com/5858151/

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
Apparently, PSU students feel 8 year olds being raped and people being fired for knowing about and doing nothing about it is ok, as long as the man donates money for a library and coaches your team since Harry Truman was our President.

Funny. I don't think that's OK.

But that doesn't mean that I, like other students, aren't saddened by this scandal and this news. It's depressing.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
Oh lord J4L.

I know. I can't help it. I know you're like 10. But I was about 6 blocks away from the old Chicago Stadium when the Bulls won their second title in '92. Total chaos. It was fun. Even with me being like 10.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
I know. I can't help it. I know you're like 10. But I was about 6 blocks away from the old Chicago Stadium when the Bulls won their second title in '92. Total chaos. It was fun. Even with me being like 10.

Gimme some respect man, being in college finally.

And I'm just not one for crowds, so rioting crowds is really no fun.

Lots of sensationalism floating around on Twitter on how this story is about to blow up even further, apparently tied into the investigation of the charity.

This from the guy who was originally on the story back in April: "Don't believe this can get worse? Give it 72 hrs. People really digging into Second Mile. Even more shocking revelation is ahead. Yikes."

Deadspin posted their board:

John R. Cappelletti - Retired PSU & NFL Football Player, Heisman Trophy Winner

R. R. M. Carpenter, III - Former Owner, Philadelphia Phillies

James E. Ford - Retired Vice President, Kmart

William A. Gettig - President, Gettig Technologies, Inc.

Jack Ham - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Franco Harris - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Lou Holtz - Retired Football Coach, Sportscaster, and Motivational Speaker

Dr. Bryce Jordan - Retired, Penn State University President

Willi Maier - President, Omni Plastics, Inc.

Matt Millen - ESPN Football Analyst

Arnold D. Palmer - President, Arnold Palmer Enterprises

Joseph V. Paterno - Head Football Coach, Penn State University

Andy Reid - Head Football Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Dr. John Reidell - General Surgeon, Past Second Mile Board President

Cal Ripken, Jr. - Former ML Baseball Shortstop, President & CEO of Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Dominic Toscani - Owner & President, Paris Business Forms

Richard Vermeil - Retired NFL Head Coach, (Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles)

Mark Wahlberg - Actor, Rapper, and Film & TV Producer

Verne Willaman - Retired Chairman and President, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corp.

Quentin Wood - Retired Chairman and CEO, Quaker State Oil Refining Corp.

Richard A. Zimmerman - Retired Chairman of the Board, Hershey Foods

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:24 AM)
Gimme some respect man, being in college finally.

And I'm just not one for crowds, so rioting crowds is really no fun.

Q, my friend, you know you have my respect. And yeah, I see your point of view. I've spent entire weekends up at ISU. People up there make Lindsay Lohan look sober. s*** gets out of control at times. But I don't support rioting. But I don't mind being there when it happens.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:00 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks making Joe Paterno out to be a child molester is QUITE a reach? Also, am I the only non-PSU student that believes they should have just let Paterno finish out the season?

I do as well. The GA didn't report a crime he was an eyewitness to. He was the #2 person at fault here, #1 being Sandusky. He told his dad, his dad didn't tell him to go to the police. That makes me wonder exactly how he was describing what he saw. Are we really to believe that the GA told his dad I saw this guy raping an 10 year old kid. If that is the case, that he absolutely believed he had witnessed the rape of a 10 year old child, he should be locked up for child endangerment.

I pin the non reporting to police blame on the eyewitness. If he wasn't certain enough to report it to the police, I have a difficult time placing more blame on either his dad or Paterno.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:00 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks making Joe Paterno out to be a child molester is QUITE a reach? Also, am I the only non-PSU student that believes they should have just let Paterno finish out the season?

I think you are the only one making Joe Paterno out to be a child molester. We all know he didnt do anything to those boys. We also know he didnt do anything for those boys.

Like I said before, Curley, Schultz, Paterno, McQueary, Spanier should all be cleaned out of house. And Sandusky should be locked in a hole with a piece of bread and glass of water every 5 hours

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:43 AM)
I think you are the only one making Joe Paterno out to be a child molester. We all know he didnt do anything to those boys. We also know he didnt do anything for those boys.

If he didn't witness it firsthand I'm not sure what exactly he was supposed to do, I mean yeah its tragic but it really was up to the eyewitness to report the crime or the AD of the school once Paterno relayed the the information to him. I think it's disgusting and all that but a lot of innocent people have had their lives ruined by something like this that I wouldn't be comfortable unless I knew the info was accurate as in saw it myself, the victim/attacker told me, or on camera.