Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Milkman,

Ive looked it up, but thanks for the tip.

If Paterno wasnt 84 at worst PSU would suspend him without pay pending an investigation into his actions.

Which is terrible and goes back to the undue influence and power sports has at big colleges.

It doesnt matter anymore, but had Paterno's superiors followed the law, we wouldnt be having this conversation. It was the superiors who committed the criminal acts.

Right, which is why they're facing criminal charges and Paterno isn't.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard news of the firing this morning. Without question, it absolutely had to be done.

I'm doing face palms over some of the posts on here arguing the contrary.

He was the head of the program under which this occurred, and in many ways, "the most powerful man on campus."

Talk about a "lack of institutional control": When something this heinous happens, those at the top bear ultimate accountablity and must pay with their jobs. His contract was up anyway, and he "retired" just hours before. BFD.

Sorry, devils advocates. In the real world, this was an absolute no-brainer.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:48 AM)
If he didn't witness it firsthand I'm not sure what exactly he was supposed to do, I mean yeah its tragic but it really was up to the eyewitness to report the crime or the AD of the school once Paterno relayed the the information to him. I think it's disgusting and all that but a lot of innocent people have had their lives ruined by something like this that I wouldn't be comfortable unless I knew the info was accurate as in saw it myself, the victim/attacker told me, or on camera.

And I keep going back to the fact that Sandusky was still always there, always on campus. Joe knew what McQueary told him, McQueary saw what happened, and Sandusky was bringing kids to PSU camps and practices up until 2009.

I have an 11 year old and a 15 month old, so admittedly my view is extremely biased, but my view is protect the kids at all costs. More could have been done, JoePa knows this. Instead, everyone relied on everyone else to get something done, and almost a complete decade passed before somethign was done, and when something was done it was not reported by any of the people that already knew.

How many boys between 2002 and 2009 were affected by this? How many could have been prevented?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
How many boys between 2002 and 2009 were affected by this? How many could have been prevented?

There are several specifically referred to in the Grand Jury report that happened between 2002 and now, including kids who were brought to penn state functions.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks making Joe Paterno out to be a child molester is QUITE a reach? Also, am I the only non-PSU student that believes they should have just let Paterno finish out the season?

The fact that people keep pretending that anyone has actually said this or that somehow people are making this out to be the case is all you need to know about how week the "Pro-Joe" position is.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
I just heard news of the firing this morning. Without question, it absolutely had to be done.

I'm doing face palms over some of the posts on here arguing the contrary.

He was the head of the program under which this occurred, and in many ways, "the most powerful man on campus."

Talk about a "lack of institutional control": When something this heinous happens, those at the top bear ultimate accountablity and must pay with their jobs. His contract was up anyway, and he "retired" just hours before. BFD.

Sorry, devils advocates. In the real world, this was an absolute no-brainer.

Completely agree. I think the sports lens is what is hurting people here, I feel like it would be completely obvious if it was merely the charity, let alone if these were political actors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:37 AM)
The fact that people keep pretending that anyone has actually said this or that somehow people are making this out to be the case is all you need to know about how week the "Pro-Joe" position is.

I don't think anyone is calling JoePa a child molester. But at the same time, we could do well to realize who the real child molester/rapist is. And that's Jerry Sandusky. While other people did indeed f*** up in this situation, Sandusky deserves 99.9% of the hatred and the anger here.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
I don't think anyone is calling JoePa a child molester. But at the same time, we could do well to realize who the real child molester/rapist is. And that's Jerry Sandusky. While other people did indeed f*** up in this situation, Sandusky deserves 99.9% of the hatred and the anger here.

absolutely agree. and i still dont understand how Sandusky is free on bail

And yet, despite the special ire people hold for the specific priests that molested children, they are still very angry at the church for protecting their own and not the children.

There is no moral uncertainty on what should happen to Sandusky. But with Paterno and Mcquarry there is uncertainty in others about what responsibility we all have to protect the vulnerable. And to those like myself who find that they failed miserably, there is more determination to make sure that is voiced. Just because JoePa might not be legally responsible, does not mean he morally culpable to the problem. Sandusky was using his status as a PennSt. former coach, his access to their facilities, to rape children. And they knew it. If Sandusky was shooting fish in a barrel, they provided the barrell and water and didn't ask for why.

Omg. Just heard the rumor of what is supposed to come out and shock people. I hope it's not true.

Rumor: Sandusky pimped out those little boys to rich donors. Please don't be true.

It will also clarify how he was given retirement in 1999 in exchange for the cover up.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
Omg. Just heard the rumor of what is supposed to come out and shock people. I hope it's not true.

Rumor: Sandusky pimped out those little boys to rich donors. Please don't be true.

It will also clarify how he was given retirement in 1999 in exchange for the cover up.

I've seen that rumor floating around too and I believe it was brought up by a reporter on the Score this AM. Hopefully, it's just someone starting s*** trying to make a name for themselves, because if it is true, that would just be absolutely awful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/sports/ncaafootb all/aspiring-coach-in-middle-of-colleges-scandal.h tml?hp

"He has said under oath that he saw Sandusky raping what appeared to be a 10-year-old boy. He immediately left, met with his father and determined he would report the incident to Paterno, according to prosecutors. A person familiar with his account said McQueary did not spare the details when he met with Paterno. Nor did he when he met with the university’s athletic director and another senior administrator, the man in charge of Penn State’s campus police."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)

This came from the guy I posted about yesterday, Mark Madden. Don't know how reliable he is, but he was one of the earliest people on the story back in March.

On another note, the people defending Paterno sicken me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)

I couldn't decide which smilie conveyed my emotions best:

mysmilie_607.gif

emot-burn.gif

mysmilie_736.gif

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 07:37 AM)

No one is pretending anyone said it, but I watched ESPN for 1 hour last night and heard Sandusky's name once. It's a complete sin what the media and PSU did last night. Paterno is very much at fault for this but he doesn't deserve to be the fall guy.

Stewart Mandel said it best last night on twitter.

@slmandel

2 things you'd never know tonight: 1) JoePa was one of MANY who failed those victims. 2) The name of the alleged predator is Jerry Sandusky.