Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
And I respectfully disagree with you.

The media coverage is not provoking the outrage.

The outrage is a direct effect of the fact that a major university covered up a child rapist in their midst, because he happened to be a sports coach.

That would get top billing any day of the week.

I've gone over this several times now, so I am not going to waste the time to reiterate it again for your benefit. Go back and read.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I've gone over this several times now, so I am not going to waste the time to reiterate it again for your benefit. Go back and read.

You know what really frustrates me about this reply?

There are probably what, 10 people in this thread who think PSU did the exact right thing by dumping him immediately like they did last night.

How many of those 10 are convinced solely by the harsh media coverage?

Because if you can't say that the people here who think that paterno and the admins got exactly what they deserved are getting their outrage from the media, then that means there's plenty of outrage to go around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
You know what really frustrates me about this reply?

There are probably what, 10 people in this thread who think PSU did the exact right thing by dumping him immediately like they did last night.

How many of those 10 are convinced solely by the harsh media coverage?

Because if you can't say that the people here who think that paterno and the admins got exactly what they deserved are getting their outrage from the media, then that means there's plenty of outrage to go around.

Than why is he getting fired now, Balta? When the media has picked up the story and made it almost all about Joe Paterno instead of Jerry Sandusky? Why did not they not fire before for all these gross incompetencies?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Than why is he getting fired now, Balta? When the media has picked up the story and made it almost all about Joe Paterno instead of Jerry Sandusky? Why did not they not fire before for all these gross incompetencies?

Because they had covered up those gross failures until the Grand Jury report was released? And because having him coach another game with those failures known would have been another slap in the face of the university.

Based on those reports, if firing him over this issue was possible in 2003, then it should have been done. But that's the cover up for you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Because they had covered up those gross failures until the Grand Jury report was released? And because having him coach another game with those failures known would have been another slap in the face of the university.

Based on those reports, if firing him over this issue was possible in 2003, then it should have been done. But that's the cover up for you.

So now there is a cover up which goes as far as the local police and the DA, correct?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
So now there is a cover up which goes as far as the local police and the DA, correct?

It at least encompasses the university administration who have in fact been just recently charged for the cover up, and it sure as hell is hard to explain how the police/DA made the choices they made a decade ago if the answer isn't "Penn State Football". On that last part, I'd await further investigation, and if I were a voter in that district, I'd be giving my representatives Hell to demand that investigation happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
It at least encompasses the university administration who have in fact been just recently charged for the cover up, and it sure as hell is hard to explain how the police/DA made the choices they made a decade ago if the answer isn't "Penn State Football". On that last part, I'd await further investigation, and if I were a voter in that district, I'd be giving my representatives Hell to demand that investigation happen.

And yet Joe Paterno is receiving 95% of the media coverage here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
Then he should have acted stronger in 2002 and saved 50% of this guy's victims from being raped.

Not a whole lot of people are disputing that, himself included.

Meanwhile, you're accusing the University of forcing the DA not to prosecute a child rape and an 80 year old football coach is your biggest concern.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Not a whole lot of people are disputing that, himself included.

Meanwhile, you're accusing the University of forcing the DA not to prosecute a child rape and an 80 year old football coach is your biggest concern.

Meanwhile, a 70 year old football coach failed to act repeatedly in response to credible allegations of child rape happening in his facilities, and the fact that the media is being hard on him 10 years later is your biggest concern.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Meanwhile, a 70 year old football coach failed to act repeatedly in response to credible allegations of child rape happening in his facilities, and the fact that the media is being hard on him 10 years later is your biggest concern.

Do you honestly read what you're typing?

You're placing the majority of the blame on an elderly man, who by all accounts, has led an exemplary life and been an exemplary person, instead of the school administrators, the President of the University, the molester himself, the local law enforcement, and the District Attorney.

You're accusing the University of manipulating our justice system in order to allow a pedophile and rapist to go free, IN ORDER TO PROTECT A FOOTBALL PROGRAM, and Joe Paterno is the biggest story here? GMAFB.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)

You're placing the majority of the blame on an elderly man, who by all accounts, has led an exemplary life and been an exemplary person, instead of the school administrators, the President of the University, the molester himself, the local law enforcement, and the District Attorney.

You're accusing the University of manipulating our justice system in order to allow a pedophile and rapist to go free, and Joe Paterno is the biggest story here? GMAFB.

I dont see where he is getting "the majority of the blame" in his statements. The subject that you are arguing is Joe Paterno and he responded on the same subject.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
And Milk, I'm still waiting to hear what you're implying by saying you would expect those "defending" Paterno to be the ones to do so...

I find the people who are more on the "defending" side are those that most frequently find themselves disagreeing with the majority.

No one is doing that. Please stop lying about what others are saying.

You're accusing the University of manipulating our justice system in order to allow a pedophile and rapist to go free, and Joe Paterno is the biggest story here? GMAFB.

In the immediate reaction to a scandal, the most well-known names will get the most attention. This isn't surprising or unique or even wrong.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
I dont see where he is getting "the majority of the blame" in his statements. The subject that you are arguing is Joe Paterno and he responded on the same subject.

Paterno is getting the lion's share of the publicity here. Which has all been negative, in case you haven't noticed.

That either equals or is even worse than receiving the blame.

You're accusing the University of manipulating our justice system in order to allow a pedophile and rapist to go free, IN ORDER TO PROTECT A FOOTBALL PROGRAM

It wouldnt surprise me to see these exact facts come to light. The evidence already suggests this, otherwise the investigations and the fact there was an accused Pedophile running rampant would have made its way to the other board members of the Charity Joe sat on when he learned about these acts in 1998 and 2002.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
Paterno is getting the lion's share of the publicity here. Which has all been negative, in case you haven't noticed.

That either equals or is even worse than receiving the blame.

Well yeah, he's the most famous. The same way Kim Kardashian is getting most of the publicity about her divorce. Thats how it works.