Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
Ugh. To give the police a pass here, but to condemn Paterno...I just can't understand this.

There's a difference.

The police are told a 50 something man was in the football showers with a boy. Showering. Old man grew up in an era where that was customary. He admits his mistake, mom doesn't press charges, what's next? Nothing.

Paterno is told that this man is having sex with an 8 year old in the showers. He let's the President know, and they both apparently cover it up and do not seek any sort of justice or do anything to alert the proper authorities in the case of such an incredibly terrible crime.

Comparing both situations is impossible.

Milkman,

I dont believe anything. Lets get this straight. I dont care what a Grand Jury thinks, I care what I think. I havent seen the transcripts, have you? I didnt get to see the witnesses and determine their credibility, have you?

What I do know, is that some one who witnesses a crime, doesnt report it, is generally not considered very credible.

As for my condescension, if you read that statement and think it apples to you, so be it. It was a general comment on American society.

(edit)

Pops back up? I was out of the office all afternoon taking depositions if you care to know.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
So you can see why the police wouldnt investigate further into something weird, but you cant see why Joe Paterno wouldnt further investigate into something weird?

Its become that Paterno should have done more than the police at this point, who are trained to identify this type of stuff.

And Id like to say its been a pleasure to read Jenks and Iamshack. I know Milkman wants to lump us together, but the reality is that there are many times we have not agreed. Thats what happens when you think independently as opposed to believing what you read in the newspaper.

Its so easy to just blindly believe.

lol

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
It really doesn't matter how aroused Sandusky was. What matters is he inappropriately touched the kid, and he admitted to doing so. And then he says he wishes he could die for it. Well, if that doesn't reflect how wrong the situation was, and how wrong he knew it was, then I don't know what does.

It was pretty clear to the police what was going on here.

No, this is bulls***. You have claimed several times that we can't "know" what was said, what people thought happened, etc. Now you're saying emphatically that the police knew there was more to this story than a shower and bear hug?

I haven't read the whole thread, but has there been any explanation how McQueary is still on the PSU staff? Obviously Paterno should have done more, but McQueary actually witnessed it and did nothing more than Paterno did. A sick situation. Once this guy hits the big house, the convicts will give him what he deserves.

So I see McQueary is going to go. What took so long with that?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
I haven't read the whole thread, but has there been any explanation how McQueary is still on the PSU staff? Obviously Paterno should have done more, but McQueary actually witnessed it and did nothing more than Paterno did. A sick situation. Once this guy hits the big house, the convicts will give him what he deserves.

The page before this. It says that McQueary has now been fired.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
No, this is bulls***. You have claimed several times that we can't "know" what was said, what people thought happened, etc. Now you're saying emphatically that the police knew there was more to this story than a shower and bear hug?

No, I have claimed we can't know what Paterno did behind the scenes at PSU. You're getting me confused with other posters.

The Police heard him confess, and wish he was dead. At the very least, don't you think this is probably cause to follow this guy around a bit?

Instead, you're putting this duty of enforcement on Paterno instead of the organization which is publicly funded to enforce the law.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
Uh oh, holier than thou pops back up. It funny how only he can think independently, the rest of us are sheep. Well us and Brent Bielema

Apparently McQueary is done at PSU, should be announced tomorrow.

Hate to break it to you Rock, but it's been implied that I am much worse than a sheep for disagreeing with you all. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
No, I have claimed we can't know what Paterno did behind the scenes at PSU. You're getting me confused with other posters.

The Police heard him confess, and wish he was dead. At the very least, don't you think this is probably cause to follow this guy around a bit?

Instead, you're putting this duty of enforcement on Paterno instead of the organization which is publicly funded to enforce the law.

Its a breakdown of the entire system, from Paterno to the president at PSU, the DA and whatever authorities were notified. Schultz wasnt enough as all he did was oversee the budget of the police. This is probably why as more rocks are overturned, there will be more information that condemns PSU as well as the LOCAL legal system. The FBI will figure this out, guarantee it.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:05 PM)
There's a difference.

The police are told a 50 something man was in the football showers with a boy. Showering. Old man grew up in an era where that was customary. He admits his mistake, mom doesn't press charges, what's next? Nothing.

Paterno is told that this man is having sex with an 8 year old in the showers. He let's the President know, and they both apparently cover it up and do not seek any sort of justice or do anything to alert the proper authorities in the case of such an incredibly terrible crime.

Comparing both situations is impossible.

"He admitted to taking the shower, he admitted to some extent something bad happened," the woman, who was not identified, said. "He asked her for forgiveness. He said 'I probably won't get it from you,' and then he said 'I wish I were dead.'"

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/national-new...l#ixzz1dLqaQcmS

Yeah, sounds like this was just an old man showering with a kid in the area.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Hate to break it to you Rock, but it's been implied that I am much worse than a sheep for disagreeing with you all. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

No, you just hate the media and feel bad for JoePa. I picked that up many many pages ago. Its understandable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
Its a breakdown of the entire system, from Paterno to the president at PSU, the DA and whatever authorities were notified. Schultz wasnt enough as all he did was oversee the budget of the police. This is probably why as more rocks are overturned, there will be more information that condemns PSU as well as the LOCAL legal system. The FBI will figure this out, guarantee it.

Certainly won't disagree with any of this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)

Actually, I said I'd keep an eye on him. And who's to say that they didn't follow him around a bit and he just didn't molest any children in that time? And we can't know (yet) what Paterno did behind the scenes with 100% accuracy, but we also can't know that the police knew something was up. The police heard him confess that he showered with a child and hugged him. What could that have gotten them if they brought that to court? Would a judge or jury decide that that was rape and throw him in jail? Or would they probably just decide that, considering his sterling history, that it was just some strange mistake? Probably that second one because the DA seemed to think that it was so weak that he didn't even bother to take it to court. Keep in mind that he did not sexually abuse that specific kid either. So, it wouldn't have led to that kid admitting abuse. The kid even said he didn't think anything of the situation until he was older. I honestly can see why the DA decided not to take it to court because it wouldn't have accomplished a thing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)

You're lumping together two separate incidents here, I think. I don't think the DA or police were involved at all after 1998.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Certainly won't disagree with any of this.

Thats why the PSU folks and also any negligent law enforcement personnel should lose their jobs at the bare minimum. The DA already lost his life or fled to mexico so he's taken care of.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
You're lumping together two separate incidents here, I think. I don't think the DA or police were involved at all after 1998.

I dont think I have enough information to determine that yet. Its also a question on why when the members of Second Mile found out about this did they not go to the police. Or did they and it took this long? There are so many more pieces of information to gather.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Yeah, sounds like this was just an old man showering with a kid in the area.

Seriously, you cannot understand how it can be perceived as simply that? If a grown man showers in the same room as a child and a mother confronts the man afterwards about it, I think it's highly likely that the man would apologize and feel really bad about exposing a child to that. Granted, this is weirder because he bear hugged the kid, too, but an apology can easily be seen as him regretting a faux pas and not apologizing for the intent to rape the child.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)

But they should have been! It's called "policework."

Joe Paterno is not a police. His job does not include policework. He is a football coach.

Thus the difference in culpability.

I wonder how many more kids were abused because guys like McQueary and Joe Pa and the rest of PSU gave this piece of scum a pass. They couldn't have stopped every single one of those, but I'm sure there were more than a couple that could have been avoided if Joe and the rest of the University chose right or wrong over PSU's reputation.