Penn State horror story

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
Unless there's involvement on his part from the grand jury report that I have missed, I don't think keeping him on at this point is that big of a mistake. Someone tell me if I missed something, but I haven't seen indications that he was directly informed of the actions in 2002. He might well have been, and if so, PSU ought to take that into account in their upcoming coaching search, and he probably ought to lawyer up.

I'm saying as the investigation moves on will we find out the knowledge was quite a bit more widespread.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm saying as the investigation moves on will we find out the knowledge was quite a bit more widespread.

That's entirely possible, but PSU doesn't need to remove people based on the assumption that will happen. On that one, they have time to wait.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
That's entirely possible, but PSU doesn't need to remove people based on the assumption that will happen. On that one, they have time to wait.

I hope for his sake it isnt in 2 weeks when he is still coaching the team through the season. I am anxious to see what is dug up in the coming weeks so PSU can purge their system of everyone.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
If PSU knows, however, better to clean house in one move instead of person-by-person as details emerge.

Clearly, if they have information that is not publicly available, they had better act on it, otherwise they're going to be in even worse shape.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
Clearly, if they have information that is not publicly available, they had better act on it, otherwise they're going to be in even worse shape.

They have already shown us that they don't like to divulge information right away, although these are different people presently in charge.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:51 AM)
Good point. And just to drive this home, if you saw a boy get raped and you didn't call police, you just told someone else, then find out the man continued rape boys, will you say, hey I told "the most powerful man in Happy Valley", don't blame me?

And Joe isn't the biggest victim, that is a disgusting statement to make and blatantly unfair to even insinuate that I would believe that. What I have said is Paterno is being portrayed as the second biggest villain here, the written wrath against Paterno exceeds that of Sandusky. I see Paterno's responsibility behind that of the GA, the AD, and the university president. Right next to the dad. As I read additional reports from prior to 2002, I am agreeing with his removal. But I really wish the wrath that is being placed on Paterno was instead placed on the eye f***ing witness who did not call police.

In sheer volume, yes. But that is due to a vocal minority strongly supporting Paterno, so obviously there is going to be more written about him.

With Sandusky, pretty much everyone says that he should go to jail or die or rot in hell, and nobody argues those points. So, obviously there is going to be less discussed about him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
From this point on, I'm happy to let that happen. The changes that needed to be made immediately have been made.

Agreed. Well, except now it looks like McQueary still has a job, which should be fixed as soon as possible. And the guy who's still on the payroll. Fire McQueary and take the VP or whatever it was off of the payroll, and I'm satisfied to sit back and wait until all of the facts roll in.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Agreed. Well, except now it looks like McQueary still has a job, which should be fixed as soon as possible. And the guy who's still on the payroll. Fire McQueary and take the VP or whatever it was off of the payroll, and I'm satisfied to sit back and wait until all of the facts roll in.

I wonder if McQueary has some kind of "whistleblower" protection or if PSU is worried about a lawsuit from him. I think he testified because the grand jury forced him to, but there has to be some reason why he is still around.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Schultz had his name on the campus Child Care facility. as of yesterday, the name was boarded over

The black humor in some of this is staggering.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
I wonder if McQueary has some kind of "whistleblower" protection or if PSU is worried about a lawsuit from him. I think he testified because the grand jury forced him to, but there has to be some reason why he is still around.

There has to be something to it. Perhaps the fact that the GJ found his testimony to be very strong in stating that he was explicit in what he told his higher-ups? Maybe they know something that none of us does, say...something like McQueary was "forced" to keep his mouth shut by people at the school. That information would come out one way or another, but if it were the case, they'd look even worse for firing him. Plus, it'd open them up to a lawsuit from him.

Just throwing s*** at the wall here.

Well, Franco Harris is not pleased with Paterno getting fired

"I feel that the board made a bad decision in letting Joe Paterno go," said Harris, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "I'm very disappointed in their decision. I thought they showed no courage, not to back someone who really needed it at the time. They were saying the football program under Joe was at fault.

"They really wouldn't give a reason. They're linking the football program to the scandal and, possibly, the cover up. That's very disturbing to me. ... I think there should be no connection to the football program, only in the case that it happened at the football building with an ex-coach. I'm still trying to find out who gave him access to the building, who signed that contract."

Harris also was critical of state police commissioner Frank Noonan for suggesting that Paterno had a "moral obligation" to report Sandusky had sexually assaulted a boy in the showers at the Lasch Building to the police once informed by an eyewitness, a 28-year-old graduate assistant coach later identified as current Penn State wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator Mike McQueary.

"When I heard that, it blew my mind," Harris said. "Why would they bring the moral into the legal? Now, everyone gets to interpret in their own way. That's what really bothers me: Joe did what was right for him to do. He forwarded the information to his superiors. That's the legal procedure at Penn State.

"If I had to choose today between the moral integrity and character of Joe Paterno and the politicians and commentators criticizing him, I would pick Joe Paterno, hands down, no contest every time."

Harris also said he was "bothered" by the attacks on McQueary, who university officials said won't coach in or attend Penn State's game against Nebraska Saturday at Beaver Stadium because of threats made against him.

"People make fun of the fact that Mike went to his father, like a little kid," Harris said. "Because somebody went to a confidante, why is that childish? How Mike handled that situation, there is nothing I can comment on. People are different. Some people would have bashed (Sandusky's) head in. Mike followed procedure. Because some people higher up didn't do their job, he's suffering the consequences."

Any protection McQueary had, Paterno would have as well. Remember McQueary did not contact the President, etc. It was Paterno.

I think PSU is concerned about their potentially liability, and unlike Paterno, I think McQueary would definitely sue PSU. Personally I think PSU is trying to dig up things on McQueary to try and give a better reason to fire him. Not calling the police, is just not a great reason to terminate an employee, especially when the employee reports to his superiors, and the superiors fail to report it in violation of the law.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Can he seriously not realize how retarded his statement was when considering the source of the whole blowup?

All the people looking at this from a "football" perspective and not a "holyf***childrenwereraped" perspective need to be shot out of a catapult directly into a brick wall.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
All the people looking at this from a "football" perspective and not a "holyf***childrenwereraped" perspective need to be shot out of a catapult directly into a brick wall.

We've seemingly got two already in Matt Millen and Franco Harris. These morons need to take a step back and separate their personal relationships with the accused/those that took little to no action from the horrible deeds that took place. f***, that's how this whole thing started. Guys like Paterno and such couldn't look at Sandusky as a monster because of their personal relationships with him.

Edited by Milkman delivers