Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Sandusky's leverage involves him going to jail for life, where he'll be treated harshly, to put it mildly.

I can't make good sense of this mess right now.

Yeah, but maybe they were just too afraid to call his bluff.

I agree though, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to try and cover something up but then give this guy access to the University and the football program. They would have been better off keeping him on as a coach so at least they could account for his whereabouts for half of the day.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
Yeah, but maybe they were just too afraid to call his bluff.

I agree though, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to try and cover something up but then give this guy access to the University and the football program. They would have been better off keeping him on as a coach so at least they could account for his whereabouts for half of the day.

The is one f***ed up puzzle where we cant see the entire picture yet. Its going to be disturbing as the facts roll out, but I am anxious to see what the f*** these people were thinking.

My only feeling is that some how the pimping kids rumor has some merit, and one of those people was either very powerful in PSU, a big time donor, or someone really powerful in the state. Basically Sandusky at that point would threaten to expose the other person.

That is the only logical answer, that someone way more powerful than Sandusky was involved.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
My only feeling is that some how the pimping kids rumor has some merit, and one of those people was either very powerful in PSU, a big time donor, or someone really powerful in the state. Basically Sandusky at that point would threaten to expose the other person.

That is the only logical answer, that someone way more powerful than Sandusky was involved.

It doesn't have to be logical, but "Keeping the football program winning games" is one other way you can make it work.

They covered it up to protect the program.

They ignored it because he could help them recruit to win games.

They got McQueary to shut up to protect the program.

They turned a blind eye when he kept bringing kids along to protect the program.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)

I agree. That's the only scenario that makes sense at this point.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:27 PM)
Ugh :(

I don't blame some of the people for this one.

I mean, if you spent 4 years with the guy, actually considered him a friend and mentor, considered him a big help to your career, then you read those allegations, a reasonable reaction is denial.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
It doesn't have to be logical, but "Keeping the football program winning games" is one other way you can make it work.

They covered it up to protect the program.

They ignored it because he could help them recruit to win games.

They got McQueary to shut up to protect the program.

They turned a blind eye when he kept bringing kids along to protect the program.

This isnt a perennial national championship contending program. I think covering this up in the name of the program is just a stupid reason to cover it up. The people who know about this situation had to have calculated the risk of the coverup being blown open and determined that the fallout would be greater than exposing Sandusky when the rumor(1998) became fact(2002).

I agree that someone much more powerful here was dictating the moves, and it was because his own reputation and life was at stake

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
I don't blame some of the people for this one.

I mean, if you spent 4 years with the guy, actually considered him a friend and mentor, considered him a big help to your career, then you read those allegations, a reasonable reaction is denial.

I don't even know anymore. If it weren't for so many people pushing in the opposite direction, I'd be losing my faith in humanity because of these morons.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
This isnt a perennial national championship contending program. I think covering this up in the name of the program is just a stupid reason to cover it up. The people who know about this situation had to have calculated the risk of the coverup being blown open and determined that the fallout would be greater than exposing Sandusky when the rumor(1998) became fact(2002).

I agree that someone much more powerful here was dictating the moves, and it was because his own reputation and life was at stake

It may be a "Stupid reason to cover it up" to our eyes, but remember, these programs are huge money-makers and that has only gotten more true over the past decade.

Covering it up = keeping the money train rolling.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)

This train of thought is exactly why i think he was blackmailing someone. There are too many warning signs in this timeline that points to people keeping this quiet, the question is why.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
It may be a "Stupid reason to cover it up" to our eyes, but remember, these programs are huge money-makers and that has only gotten more true over the past decade.

Covering it up = keeping the money train rolling.

Exactly. I'd also like to point out that in both 2005 and 2008, Penn State was 1 play from the National Championship Game in football. They had a down streak in the early 2000's, but it's still a mega elite program.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Who or what is that?

I honestly wouldn't care if they shut down the entire athletic department there or bulldozed Happy Valley.

Credit rating agency. Basically they evaluate the level of trust-worthiness of companies, institutions, governments etc. that issue bonds.

It's a sign that they're seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ liabilities lining up.