Penn State horror story

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
Credit rating agency. Basically they evaluate the level of trust-worthiness of companies, institutions, governments etc. that issue bonds.

It's a sign that they're seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ liabilities lining up.

And that this could potentially have a negative impact on an important revenue stream (Football!) as well.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
It doesn't have to be logical, but "Keeping the football program winning games" is one other way you can make it work.

They covered it up to protect the program.

They ignored it because he could help them recruit to win games.

They got McQueary to shut up to protect the program.

They turned a blind eye when he kept bringing kids along to protect the program.

The problem with this theory is that it assumes Sandusky was some super-amazing asset to the program. Yes, he was a good football coach. Yes, he probably recruited well. But are you really going to risk having a child molester on campus for his recruiting skills?

If that was the case, they would have just kept him on the coaching staff. What's the difference between having him on the coaching staff still and allowing him access to all facilities and having him officially recruit on your behalf?

I'm not buying it. Something else was at work here.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Credit rating agency. Basically they evaluate the level of trust-worthiness of companies, institutions, governments etc. that issue bonds.

It's a sign that they're seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ liabilities lining up.

Which is insane, considering PSU's endowment fund is in the 10 figure area ($1.5 billion).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
The problem with this theory is that it assumes Sandusky was some super-amazing asset to the program. Yes, he was a good football coach. Yes, he probably recruited well. But are you really going to risk having a child molester on campus for his recruiting skills?

If that was the case, they would have just kept him on the coaching staff. What's the difference between having him on the coaching staff still and allowing him access to all facilities and having him officially recruit on your behalf?

I mean, he can't exactly force the team to let him recruit on behalf of the team, the only reason why they'd do that is if they thought he'd be an asset in the process.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)

This coming out whenever it came out was going to ruin the program. They choose to keep it hush, hush. Make everything appear normal, except not let Sandusky bring kids on campus anymore. The chose trying to protect Penn State's, Joe Pa's and the football team's reputation rather than trying to protect innocent kids. They are all scum. Joe Pa included.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
I mean, he can't exactly force the team to let him recruit on behalf of the team, the only reason why they'd do that is if they thought he'd be an asset in the process.

What I was saying is that under that theory, allowing him to stick around despite his status as a child molester would at least presume he was so incredibly gifted at his job that he was irreplaceable and the football program couldn't maintain it's tradition of excellence without him. I've read he was a great coach, but I don't think he was so incredibly valuable to the team that it would enter into their minds that if we were to lose this guy, we would fall off the map.

The point about recruiting in an official capacity goes to story from this afternoon - if they truly were using him to recruit from an official capacity, and not as some weirdo rogue pervert still going on recruiting trips on his own, than they may as well have kept him on the coaching staff.

Interesting thought I just heard a caller on Boers and Bernstein suggest is that McQueary could have been a victim of Sandusky himself as a youth. I guess McQueary was a decent football player growing up, and he could have run into Sandusky at a camp, or at his game (like the guy who just de-committed did). I think that would at least explain why he went to his dad and Paterno instead of the police with what he saw happening, and also why he wasn't fired.

It's far-fetched, but you would have thought the same about the rest of the story if you didn't already know it was true.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
This coming out whenever it came out was going to ruin the program. They choose to keep it hush, hush. Make everything appear normal, except not let Sandusky bring kids on campus anymore. The chose trying to protect Penn State's, Joe Pa's and the football team's reputation rather than trying to protect innocent kids. They are all scum. Joe Pa included.

They could have just fired Sandusky and banned him from campus and tried to cover it up on their own though.

Firing Sandusky would not have appeared abnormal.

So why continue to allow the guy access to the University? It just doesn't add up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
They could have just fired Sandusky and banned him from campus and tried to cover it up on their own though.

So why continue to allow the guy access to the University? It just doesn't add up.

My speculation is that Sandusky was probably aware of something along the lines of rampant NCAA violations that were taking place under Paterno (and honestly, every other big name CF program ever), and firing him/barring him from access to the University would have brought that to light.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
Interesting thought I just heard a caller on Boers and Bernstein suggest is that McQueary could have been a victim of Sandusky himself as a youth. I guess McQueary was a decent football player growing up, and he could have run into Sandusky at a camp, or at his game (like the guy who just de-committed did). I think that would at least explain why he went to his dad and Paterno instead of the police with what he saw happening, and also why he wasn't fired.

It's far-fetched, but you would have thought the same about the rest of the story if you didn't already know it was true.

That would be a twist good enough to be in an early M. Night Shyamalan movie.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)

Just to make it look normal. The rumors and accusations were out there already. Banning him, getting rid of all his perks, would have raised suspicion. As long as he wasn't with boys, he was good to go and part of the PSU family. I honestly initially thought any firing of Paterno was a ridiculous overreaction. But after reading some of the GJ stuff, its apparent he did the minimum in order to protect a child molestor and save PSU the embarrassment of the public knowing they had been providing the means for some sick f*** to have his way with little boys, while they looked the other way.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Hm, what if Paterno and the higher-ups were already aware of past rapes on campus when McQueary came to them?

I'm sure he at least had heard some stories, maybe didn't buy it, but then he had to know something was up after McQueary told him what he saw, even if it was vague. The even sicker part of this was Paterno's and the rest of the university's actions have let this guy do this to who knows how many other kids since. I really don't know how any of these enablers lives with themselves.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
If the victim had been Paterno's grandson, and Paterno was told that Sandusky was caught "messing around" with him, however vague, how long would this conspiracy of silence and cover-ups have lasted?

If the person that was an eye f***ing witness called police, or Paterno witnessed it first hand, how long would the silence have lasted? If anyone above Paterno had called the police . . . If Sandusky choked on his vomit after realizing what a sick bastard he is . . .

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
If the person that was an eye f***ing witness called police, or Paterno witnessed it first hand, how long would the silence have lasted? If anyone above Paterno had called the police . . . If Sandusky choked on his vomit after realizing what a sick bastard he is . . .

You are right. McQueary should have done that but he didn't. Then Paterno should have done it for McQueary and supported McQueary, but he did the minimum. He passes it on and its covered up. Penn State Football was the most important thing to these people. Not right or wrong, not children's safety and future quality of life. If the Big Ten had any balls they would expel Penn State from their conference. If the NCAA had any balls, they would find a way to ban Penn State football for a long time.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)

Great, now the movement to paint the one eyewitness out as a victim as well?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
If the NCAA had any balls, they would find a way to ban Penn State football for a long time.

Exactly. The entire PSU should be punished. Every one of their students, the employees, the people who make money off the games being played, they all deserve to be punished. The hotels and restaurant employees, every last one of them will be forever tainted by being a part of this scandal.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Exactly. The entire PSU should be punished. Every one of their students, the employees, the people who make money off the games being played, they all deserve to be punished. The hotels and restaurant employees, every last one of them will be forever tainted by being a part of this scandal.

Yeah, because if you don't have 12 PSU football games to watch, your life is ruined. Get real. Plenty of lives probably have been ruined because the leaders of the university and the football program chose to look the other way.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 6, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
Yeah, unless you think somebody is in immediate danger, you notify your first-line supervisor first and give him a chance to deal with it, but at some point there needed to be a follow-up conversation where Joe told his boss either you get the cops involved or I will, and that clearly didn't happen.

I'm sick. A kid getting raped in the showers ISN'T in immediate danger?

f*** protocol. call the cops. NOW.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
Yeah, because if you don't have 12 PSU football games to watch, your life is ruined. Get real. Plenty of lives probably have been ruined because the leaders of the university and the football program chose to look the other way.

He's reaching. I wouldn't bother.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
He's reaching. I wouldn't bother.

Just reacting to the suggestion that PSU football be shut down for a long time. I think it is a great suggestion. Close the stadium, send the players out to find other universities, or better yet pay for their own degrees. There really isn't any value to the university at large in having a football program. Best part is once the revenue from the football program is gone, they can finally drop all those non revenue producing sports like baseball, tennis, fencing, and anything that has to do with women. Turn the facilities into something the student body can really use.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
Just reacting to the suggestion that PSU football be shut down for a long time. I think it is a great suggestion. Close the stadium, send the players out to find other universities, or better yet pay for their own degrees. There really isn't any value to the university at large in having a football program. Best part is once the revenue from the football program is gone, they can finally drop all those non revenue producing sports like baseball, tennis, fencing, and anything that has to do with women. Turn the facilities into something the student body can really use.

I know you're being sarcastic here...but if this plays out like many think it may, there is no doubt that shutting the football program down for at least the remainder of this year, removing every vestige of the staff that had anything to do with this, and starting over from scratch either next year, or perhaps even in 2013, is certainly something that would not be overreacting.

If you're talking about a conspiracy that goes up and down the entire staff of this program, which enabled a child molester to continue his predation both on campus at the PSU facilities, off campus with the support of PSU funding, and on behalf of PSU in an official capacity on recruiting trips, then yeah, some 9 years after it was clear this man was sodomizing boys in your facilities, this whole program should be shut down until the horror that has occurred there can be sucked out of every dark crevice and a new program can be restarted that is so f***ing clean, it makes BYU look like the SMU programs of the early 1980's.