Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
I'm guessing he probably had some heart issues or something as a result of this and while he was getting checked out they found it.

Hasn't he spent a ton of time in the hospital over the last few years, did it just pop up now?

Victim One, the first known alleged victim of abuse by former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky, had to leave his school in the middle of his senior year because of bullying, his counselor said Sunday.

Officials at Central Mountain High School in Clinton County weren’t providing guidance for fellow students, who were reacting badly about Joe Paterno’s firing and blaming the 17-year-old, said Mike Gillum, the psychologist helping his family. Those officials were unavailable for comment this weekend.

The name-calling and verbal threats were just too much, he said.

Other alleged victims are turning to each other for support, since they fear others will out them and cause a media swarm. The only encouragement for Victim One, Gillum said, is watching other alleged victims come forward because they felt empowered by his courage.

Yeesh.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 19, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
I'm not saying he doesn't have cancer...just that the timing of the announcement seems odd.

Perhaps, but there will not be a time in the next couple years that it wouldn't be an odd time to announce.

Whether this will actually provoke legislation or just political grandstanding is anyone's guess, but here's another venue where this will play out.

The Senate has scheduled the first congressional hearing in the wake of the Penn State child abuse scandal.

Three senators announced Monday that a Dec. 13 hearing will examine how well the nation is protecting children from abuse and neglect.

Pennsylvania Sen. Bob Casey requested the hearing by a panel of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee. Maryland Sen. Barbara Mikulski says she hopes it will shed light on prevention and deterrence of child sexual abuse.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Oh yeah. But still, perhaps all of the light shone on it will lead to people being more willing to report child abuse/molestation.

Except for the fact that Victim #1 has now been bullied out of his school with no reprocussions to anyone except him.

Former Penn State student disciplinarian Vicky Triponey tells The Wall Street Journal that football players were treated "more favorably than other students accused of violating the community standards as defined by the student code of conduct."

Triponey, who resigned her post as the university's standards and conduct officer in 2007, spoke to the newspaper after it obtained a 2005 email from her to then-president Graham Spanier and others in which Triponey expressed her concerns about the disciplinary process as it pertained to football players.

Coach Joe Paterno "is insistent he knows best how to discipline his players ... and their status as a student when they commit violations of our standards should NOT be our concern ... and I think he was saying we should treat football players different from other students in this regard," Triponey wrote in a Aug. 12, 2005, email obtained by the newspaper.

"Coach Paterno would rather we NOT inform the public when a football player is found responsible for committing a serious violation of the law and/or our student code," she wrote in the email, "despite any moral or legal obligation to do so."

Triponey's email was written the day after a meeting in which Paterno criticized Triponey for "meddling," the Journal reported citing two anonymous sources.

In a response to her note, Curley wrote Paterno felt "it should be his call if someone should practice and play in athletics."

In a statement Monday to the Journal Triponey said: "There were numerous meetings and discussions about specific and pending student discipline cases that involved football players," which included "demands" to adjust the process for players resulting in them being treated "more favorably than other students accused of violating the community standards as defined by the student code of conduct."

Link

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
I'm pretty sure MOST colleges treat athletes from their prized sports program more favorably than some random kid on campus. I'm not really shocked Paterno did this. I can promise you it happens everywhere.

Outside of drug testing, absolutely.

What percentage of issues being suppressed actually are found out? I ask because it amazes me that it still happens. And it only makes it worse.

If someone, ANYONE had called the police and the police actually arrested him, Penn State would've taken a hit, but it certainly wouldn't linger as long as this is. They would be heroes, outing a child molester/abuser. Sure, they would've been raked over the coals when it comes to hiring practices, etc. And I bet a good chunk of the people that have been fired/quit would still have been fired or quit, but the school itself would've gotten through this quicker. Amazing.

The Univ. Tennessee management felt compelled to send this out.

To: UT System-wide Faculty, Staff and Students

Re: Important Information on Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Child Sexual Abuse

All members of the University community are responsible for compliance with Tennessee laws on mandatory reporting of child abuse and child sexual abuse. Please go to the following website to find detailed information from the Tennessee Department of Children's Services on how to identify and report child abuse and child sexual abuse: http://www.tn.gov/youth/childsafety.htm.

The following is a summary of key provisions of Tennessee law on mandatory reporting of child abuse and child sexual abuse.

Who Must Report

Tennessee law mandates reporting by any person who has knowledge of physical or mental harm to a child if: (1) the nature of the harm reasonably indicates it was caused by brutality, abuse, or neglect; or (2) on the basis of available information, the harm reasonably appears to have been caused by brutality, abuse, or neglect.

Tennessee law also mandates reporting by any person who knows or has reasonable cause to suspect that a child has been sexually abused, regardless of whether it appears the child has sustained an injury as a result of the abuse.

The Tennessee mandatory reporting laws define a child as a person under 18 years of age.

How to Report

A report of child abuse or child sexual abuse must be made immediately to one of the following four authorities:

- The Tennessee Department of Children's Services (reports can be made by calling the Central Intake Child Abuse Hotline at 1-877-237-0004);

- The sheriff of the county where the child resides;

- The chief law enforcement official of the city where the child resides; or

- A judge having juvenile jurisdiction over the child.

Please note that University police departments are not included in the list of authorities. Reporting to University police, a supervisor, or any other University official or employee does not satisfy an individual's duty to report child abuse or child sexual abuse to one of the authorities listed above.

Penalty for Failure to Report

Any person who knowingly fails to make a report of child abuse as required by Tennessee law commits a Class A misdemeanor.

Any person who knowingly and willfully fails to report known or suspected child sexual abuse, or who knowingly and willfully prevents another person from doing so, commits a Class A misdemeanor.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Looking at how victims are treated when they report, the stigma that is still attached, the accusations that they must face, it is no wonder that victims and their parents will hesitate to report the crime.

I really feel for these victims. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arch...5/slow-to-react i encourage everyone to listen to Act One from this particular this american life. It talks about the fear that he held after being raped that he too would become a child molester. Another blogger, blogged a heartwrenching piece before killing himself about how no matter what, he couldn't help but feel filthy every day waking up. It's hard to know how to react. Child molestation and rape is awful, but we also can't treat them as if their entire lives are ruined. Too often these kids feel forever damaged, forever ruined because of something that is not their fault. I hope there are victims of child molestation that have gotten help and become stronger that can come out and let these kids know that they can still live a great life.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
I really feel for these victims. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arch...5/slow-to-react i encourage everyone to listen to Act One from this particular this american life. It talks about the fear that he held after being raped that he too would become a child molester. Another blogger, blogged a heartwrenching piece before killing himself about how no matter what, he couldn't help but feel filthy every day waking up. It's hard to know how to react. Child molestation and rape is awful, but we also can't treat them as if their entire lives are ruined. Too often these kids feel forever damaged, forever ruined because of something that is not their fault. I hope there are victims of child molestation that have gotten help and become stronger that can come out and let these kids know that they can still live a great life.

This is true of adult rape victims as well. We label it as a heinous crime, which it is, but that way it is discussed gives victims a badge of shame, of being damaged goods who suffered a fate worse than death.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add that had Joe Paterno or anyone else at Penn State actually cared about anything other than their precious football program, then "Victim 9" as linked in my previous post would never have been subjected to repeated rape and sexual abuse (2004-2008).