Penn State horror story

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McQueary did testify, under oath, this morning.

McQueary, who was on the stand for about two hours Friday, said he had stopped by a campus football locker room to drop off a pair of sneakers in the spring of 2002 when he heard slapping sounds in a shower and happened upon Sandusky and the boy.

He said Sandusky was behind the boy he estimated to be 10 or 12 years old, with his hands wrapped around the boy's waist. He said the boy was facing a wall, with his hands on it.

McQueary said he has never described what he saw as anal rape or anal intercourse and couldn't see Sandusky's genitals, but that "it was very clear that it looked like there was intercourse going on."

In its report last month, the grand jury summarized McQueary's testimony as saying he "saw a naked boy ... with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky."

Under cross examination by an attorney for Curley, McQueary reiterated that he had not seen Sandusky penetrating or fondling the boy but was nearly certain they were having intercourse because the two were standing so close and Sandusky's arms were wrapped around the youth.

He said he peeked into the shower several times and that the last time he looked in, Sandusky and the boy had separated. He said he didn't say anything, but "I know they saw me. They looked directly in my eye, both of them."

McQueary said the entire encounter -- from when he first entered the locker room to when he retreated to his office -- lasted about 45 seconds.

McQueary said he reported what he saw to Paterno but never went to police.

He said he did not give Paterno explicit details of what he believed he'd seen, saying he wouldn't have used terms like sodomy or anal intercourse out of respect for the longtime coach.

Paterno told the grand jury that McQueary reported seeing Sandusky doing something of a "sexual nature" with the youngster but that he didn't press for details.

"I didn't push Mike ... because he was very upset," Paterno said. "I knew Mike was upset, and I knew some kind of inappropriate action was being taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster."

McQueary said Paterno told him he'd "done the right thing" by reporting the encounter. The head coach appeared shocked and saddened and slumped back in his chair, McQueary said.

Paterno told McQueary he would talk to others about what he'd reported.

Nine or 10 days later, McQueary said he met with Curley and Schultz and told them he'd seen Sandusky and a boy, both naked, in the shower after hearing skin-on-skin slapping sounds.

"I told them that I saw Jerry in the showers with a young boy and that what I had seen was extremely sexual and over the lines and it was wrong," McQueary said. "I would have described that it was extremely sexual and I thought that some kind of intercourse was going on."

McQueary said he was left with the impression both men took his report seriously. When asked why he didn't go to police, he referenced Schultz's position as a vice president at the university who had overseen the campus police

"I thought I was talking to the head of the police, to be frank with you," he said. "In my mind it was like speaking to a (district attorney). It was someone who police reported to and would know what to do with it."

Curley told the grand jury that he couldn't recall his specific conversation with McQueary, but that McQueary never reported seeing anal intercourse or other sexual conduct. He said he recalled McQueary reporting wrestling or "horsing around."

Under cross-examination, McQueary said he considered what he saw a crime but didn't call police because "it was delicate in nature."

"I tried to use my best judgment," he said. "I was sure the act was over." He said he never tried to find the boy.

Joe Paterno's testimony to the grand jury was read aloud in court yesterday.

Today, we have some answers to the crucial question from the coach's mouth after Paterno's testimony from earlier this year — in which the now-former Penn State icon told a grand jury that he had been informed about an incident of "a sexual nature" between ex-defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky and a young boy in 2002 — was read for the first time in open court Friday.

In the testimony, Paterno said he "knew inappropriate action was taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster" after a meeting with then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary, who allegedly saw Sandusky sexually abusing a boy in a locker room shower the previous night, but did not inform police and waited at least a day to inform his boss, athletic director Tim Curley, because he "didn't want to interfere with their weekends."

• 3 weeks later...

Patriots OC Bill O'Brien set to be named new PSU coach. Some of the ex-players are extremely upset that they didn't hire a PSU alum, but some of their comments are mind-boggling.

Said former All-American linebacker Brandon Short, "I don't want to be affiliated with the university if they don't choose a Penn State guy because of our standards, our graduation, all the things that have been important... it's no longer Penn State, so we might as well be in the SEC. They are intent on turning it into a booster culture. Ira Lubert went out and purchased a national title with wrestling and he's under the illusion that he can do that in football. Well, ask (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder about that."

"Penn State is a family and it is real and if they choose to get rid of Bradley and not hire a Penn State coach, then they've turned their backs on our entire family."

Added Short, "It is the view of the vast majority of the lettermen that they've been marginalized and their family is being destroyed."

That family let a child rapist repeatedly use the campus as his dungeon, and so many people refused to stop him. WTF? I know these players may have known nothing, but what do they expect?

"I will put my Butkus (Award) in storage. I will put my Alamo Bowl MVP trophy in storage," Arrington said. "Jerseys, anything Penn State, in storage. Wherever Tom Bradley goes, that's the school I will start to put memorabilia up in my home. I'm done. I'm done with Penn State. If they're done with us, I'm done with them."

In an overwhelming show of support for Bradley, the longtime defensive coordinator who served as interim head coach for the past two months, Arrington was joined by other former lettermen who said they were outraged the committee would overlook the values and traditions that made their Penn State experiences so meaningful.

"By these people making the decisions the way that they are making them, basically coinciding with everything that's being written about our university, if they get rid of Tom Bradley, that means they in essence have accepted the fact that we are all guilty," Arrington said. "You might as well call it all the same thing.

"What we stood for and what we represented for so long, what we have been taught, what we have been trained to know and the values that I raise my own children with, you're basically telling me it's good, only as long as times are good."

Those people that taught you those "values" were letting their friends ignore them and do unspeakable things to children. Come on now.

Edited by LittleHurt05

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/...ach-sources-say

Former Penn State All-American linebacker Brandon Short told ESPN.com senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. that members of the influential Lettermen's Club have a meeting scheduled with Joyner for Friday at 1 p.m. ET.

"It's unfortunate that coach O'Brien ... has not been made aware of the implications of him being in this position," said Short, an investment banker. "I don't envy him at all. He doesn't have support of the vast majority of former Penn State players and the vast majority of the student body and the faculty won't support him. I feel sorry for him."

Short said some members of the group were considering a range of options to express their displeasure, including asking current players to transfer and recruits to de-commit. Short told USA Today they were mulling a lawsuit in an effort to bar Penn State from using their likenesses or images for marketing purposes.

"It appears as if it is Dave Joyner's intent to disassociate himself with everything related Penn State," Short told ESPN.com. "Then a group of former players will now disassociate ourselves from everything related to Penn State."

Boot PSU for what?

This is America, they have the right to their opinion. These players put a lot of time and effort into PSU, there are no allegations that any of these players committed any wrongdoings. They are making a statement, that outside of Sandusky, PSU has been one of the cleanest programs in all of football. I am pretty sure that they are one of the schools that have never had any sanctions by the NCAA (I believe the other school is BYU).

I doubt PSU really cares (what the players say), they didnt even care about Paterno at the end of the day.

Edited by Soxbadger

Outside of Sandusky (one of the most brutal scandals to ever hit college football) ...

Yeah, sucks that players take money from boosters or don't go to class, but that pales in comparison to child rape and cover up. You can't blame them for going after a fresh start with a talented coach.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Boot PSU for what?

This is America, they have the right to their opinion.

I hate this cop-out. Yes, they have a right to their opinion, and everyone else has a right to judge that opinion, and organizations have a right to not associate themselves with that opinion.

Strangesox,

What are you talking about?

Someone proposed that the Big 10 should kick PSU out for players having an opinion on who their coach should be.

Your response has nothing to do with my statement, allowing people to have free speech, allows people to be judged for their speech.

But why would ex PSU players speaking their opinion on who the coach should be, ever play a role in whether they are a Big 10 institution?

Are you agreeing that PSU should be punished by the Big 10 because some of the players have different opinions? Is that your stance?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Correct me if Im wrong, but so far there have been no accusations that any player or Bradley participated in a cover up or rape.

And they haven't been punished. Oh, except for them hiring a talented coach from outside their tainted program. Talk about tone deaf. You should start a PR firm for adopted victims of crisis.