Penn State horror story

Every statement from the Paterno family just makes me want to bash my head more and more into a wall.

"How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood." Ehh, it seems like we have a pretty decent idea.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm one of the few that think the NCAA was out of bounds here and got caught up in media frenzy/court of public opinion/mob mentality (you choose). I don't agree with the NCAA's actions at all. And I am NOT a Penn St. fan or a Paterno apologist.

I agree that it is not so clear cut, but I dont care enough to get involved. Do I think that the punishment will likely dissuade future action? Sure, but youd hope that criminal penalties to Sandusky, etc would deter any future coach or administration.

Nobodies a winner in all of this, just different losers.

The Paterno family's official statement:

Sexual abuse is reprehensible, especially when it involves children, and no one starting with Joe Paterno condones or minimizes it. The horrific acts committed by Jerry Sandusky shock the conscience of every decent human being. How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood, despite the claims and assertions of the Freeh report.

The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

That the President, the Athletic Director and the Board of Trustees accepted this unprecedented action by the NCAA without requiring a full due process hearing before the Committee on Infractions is an abdication of their responsibilities and a breach of their fiduciary duties to the University and the 500,000 alumni. Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky’s crimes does not serve justice. This is not a fair or thoughtful action; it is a panicked response to the public's understandable revulsion at what Sandusky did.

The point of due process is to protect against this sort of reflexive action. Joe Paterno was never interviewed by the University or the Freeh Group. His counsel has not been able to interview key witnesses as they are represented by counsel related to ongoing litigation. We have had no access to the records reviewed by the Freeh group. The NCAA never contacted our family or our legal counsel. And the fact that several parties have pending trials that could produce evidence and testimony relevant to this matter has been totally discounted.

Unfortunately all of these facts have been ignored by the NCAA, the Freeh Group and the University.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Why does the Paterno family think they should have had any input into the NCAA sanctions?

Why would the family of an accused want to have a fair trial, hearing or have their day in the sun?

I dont know, but Im sure you can figure it out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Why would the family of an accused want to have a fair trial, hearing or have their day in the sun?

I dont know, but Im sure you can figure it out.

What valid input into NCAA institutional sanctions would the Paterno family have?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm one of the few that think the NCAA was out of bounds here and got caught up in media frenzy/court of public opinion/mob mentality (you choose). I don't agree with the NCAA's actions at all. And I am NOT a Penn St. fan or a Paterno apologist.

The football program protected a child rapist for the betterment of their program.

One way or another, big punishments were warranted.

Also, this quote from the Paterno family:

The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best

No, Joe's actions in regards to all of this was what defamed his legacy and contributions.

What should the NCAA have done, listen to Paterno's family talk about how he was a "great guy" when they are holding an FBI report that said he helped cover it up, and not come down with sanctions? I agree strangesox, that didn't make a lot of sense.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
LOLZ

They had an impartial party investigate.

An investigation is not equal to a trial.

As Americans we have a society where even the worst are given the same protections as the best. If the case is so easy, so cut and dry, have the hearing, let Paterno's family try and defend him, and then find against him.

I see no reason to skip that step.

/shrugs

Would it have mattered if they gave out the suspensions today, or next week after Paterno's family made fool of themselves trying to defend this?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
An investigation is not equal to a trial.

This is the only part of your post that needs a response. And here it is. This isn't a trial. There will never be a trial for Paterno. This is a sanction from an entity completely unrelated to the legal process. Period.

May Paterno rot in hell.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
What valid input into NCAA institutional sanctions would the Paterno family have?

I dont know, how would I know unless they are given the chance to present their evidence.

Even a criminal at a sentencing hearing can have his family testify about why he is a good person and doesnt deserve to go to jail for X years.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
I dont know, how would I know unless they are given the chance to present their evidence.

Even a criminal at a sentencing hearing can have his family testify about why he is a good person and doesnt deserve to go to jail for X years.

This has nothing to do with the legal process. Could you drop the sleazy defense attorney schtick for 5 minutes?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)

This was about the PSU Football program, not NCAA sanctions on the former, now-deceased coach.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
This has nothing to do with the legal process. Could you drop the sleazy defense attorney schtick for 5 minutes?

Oh Im sorry the NCAA doesnt have rules it has to follow.

Go back to your summary executions!

Your bias clouds your arguments.

Here's your hearing:

Atty: So, Paterno family, what say you?

Paternos: JoePa was a fine, upstanding man, who educated hundreds and mentored thousands of young men and shepherded them into the next stage of life. He valued education over athletics and for that, we should have mercy on them.

Atty: I hold, in my hand, emails and letters from Mr. Paterno actively covering up a coaches actions regarding raping and molesting children between the ages of 8-16 while ON the Penn State campus and within the football facilities AFTER his transgressions had been reported to Mr. Paterno.

Paternos: Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh...about that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
So NCAA didnt vacate paterno's wins?

News to me.

They vacated PSU Football's wins. They did not specifically remove Paterno's name from the records while leaving everything else intact.

Did the NCAA invite Tressle's wife in for an interview before determining what to do with OSU? Did they talk to Glena Carroll before handing down USC's punishment?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
They vacated PSU Football's wins. They did not specifically remove Paterno's name from the records while leaving everything else intact.

Did the NCAA invite Tressle's wife in for an interview before determining what to do with OSU? Did they talk to Glena Carroll before handing down USC's punishment?

I dont know, you are trying to disprove my argument, go find the facts yourself.

The better question is, in an investigation, did they not interview people who wanted to be interviewed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
I dont know, you are trying to disprove my argument, go find the facts yourself.

Nah, I'll safely assume that the NCAA does not give one s*** what a coach's wife/family thinks before handing down sanctions for improper behavior.

The better question is, in an investigation, did they not interview people who wanted to be interviewed.

The answer is yes* they did not interview them, the reason is because it doesn't matter what Joe's wife or his son think. Their input into sanctions on PSU football would be useless. They do not have additional facts or information relevant to the NCAA's decision that the NCAA would not have already had from independent and internal investigations.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)

You've lost all of us. What is the Paterno family going to say, and why is it relevant?

Are they going to prove the emails were fake? All the evidence is there. Hearing about him being a great family man doesn't do anything.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Nah, I'll safely assume that the NCAA does not give one s*** what a coach's wife/family thinks before handing down sanctions for improper behavior.

The answer is no, the reason is because it doesn't matter what Joe's wife or his son think. Their input into sanctions on PSU football would be useless. They do not have additional facts or information relevant to the NCAA's decision that the NCAA would not have already had from independent and internal investigations.

Its not about what his wife thinks. Its about does his wife have relevant information to the investigation. You cant willfully ignore witnesses who may have information that hurts your case.

How do you know this?

How do you know that Paterno's wife didnt have information that could exculpate her husband?

What if Sandusky threatened to kill Paterno's family if he didnt cover up the abuse?

You dont think that would have impacted whether they would have vacated Paterno's wins?

It doesnt really matter, most American's are convict first ask questions later, I understand that I will always be in the minority. It sucks, but whatever, I really dont care that much on this subject.