Nationals C Wilson Ramos kidnapped in Venezuela

LittleHurt05

This is happened to players' families in Venezuela, but don't remember it happening to an actual player. Here is the Bing translation of the spanish article:

Wilson Ramos, catcher Aragua Tigers, was kidnapped Wednesday in the afternoon near his home in Valencia. The information, which jumped a few minutes on the social network Twitter, was confirmed by sources close to the player.

According to respondent, 4 gunmen approached the grandeliga Washington Nationals near his home in the Santa Ines, capital of Carabobo, and took him away.

"They are still waiting for the kidnappers contact the family," continued the insider. "At the moment the only thing they have done is to inform the police."

This is going to sound harsh and probably pretty difficult to do, but when you make it to America to play baseball, don't go back to your s***hole countries anymore. And if you get far enough to earn a good amount of money, move your immediate family here with you.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
This is going to sound harsh and probably pretty difficult to do, but when you make it to America to play baseball, don't go back to your s***hole countries anymore. And if you get far enough to earn a good amount of money, move your immediate family here with you.

At the very least, get more security while you're there. After Gus Polidor got killed, I always wondered why the hell Ozzie ever went back there, but that's their home.

It is a harsh thought, but it definitely makes sense. It's gotta be hard to avoid your home country, but when kidnappings are that commonplace, especially when you are rich, maybe you should stay away.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
Shocking to say the least. These kidnappers also picked the wrong guy to kidnap. He's not even making any real money yet compared to other big name guys.

I didn't even think about that. He has definitely made way less than a million. That's a lot in Venezuela, but nothing compared to so many other players.

Sure, get wealthy, leave your home country, and never look back. It isn't as if family matters.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 9, 2011 -> 11:58 PM)

Sure, get wealthy, leave your home country, and never look back. It isn't as if family matters.

Apparently you didn't read the lengthy TWO sentences I wrote. In them, I explained that it would be difficult and suggested bringing one's family with to America.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
Apparently you didn't read the lengthy TWO sentences I wrote. In them, I explained that it would be difficult and suggested bringing one's family with to America.

Apparently you didn't read into my lengthy two sentences. Even if you would bring your wife and kids to the United States, how can one leave everything and everyone else behind? There's more to family than wife and kids, you can't move everyone. I'm not going to go back and forth with you.

Latest Update:

Nationals catcher Ramos kidnapped in Venezuela

By IAN JAMES

Associated Press

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Officials said Thursday they have found the vehicle used by armed men who abducted Washington Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos, a case that highlights a sharp rise in kidnappings in Venezuela.

Police found the kidnappers' vehicle abandoned in a nearby town and were gathering evidence, Justice Minister Tareck El Aissami told reporters Thursday morning. He said anti-kidnapping units were dispatched to the area in central Carabobo state.

The 24-year-old Venezuelan player, who had just finished his rookie season, was seized from his home by kidnappers on Wednesday night.

"The abductors haven't made contact with the family or with anyone," said Domingo Alvarez, vice president of the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League, in a telephone interview. "We're worried."

Ramos was taken away in an SUV by four armed men from his home in Santa Ines, spokeswoman Katherine Vilera of his Venezuelan team, the Aragua Tigers, said on her official Twitter account.

Police last year said that 618 kidnappings were reported in 2009, and the numbers have grown rapidly in recent years. Security experts say the real number of kidnappings is much higher because many cases aren't reported to authorities.

The wealthy in Venezuela have taken steps to protect themselves; sales of armored cars have soared in the past several years. Bodyguards also typically shadow Major League players when they return to their homeland to play in the winter league.

"Every Major League player has his own security, but we don't know if at that time he had his security there," Alvarez said. He said it's the first time a Major League Baseball player has been abducted in the country, though other players' relatives have been held for ransom in the past.

A person close to Ramos' family, who asked not to be quoted by name out of safety concerns, said the catcher was at home with his father and brothers when several men "entered the house and took him away."

Drew Storen, a relief pitcher for the Nationals, tweeted his concerns: "Extremely upsetting news about Ramo. Thoughts and prayers with him. Scary situation."

Ramos is considered one of the key young players for the Nationals as they try to become a contender in the National League East. As a rookie in 2011, he hit .267 with 15 home runs and 52 RBIs in 113 games. He also threw out 19 of 67 runners attempting to steal a base, a 28 percent success rate that ranked third among qualifying catchers in the National League.

Washington acquired Ramos from the Minnesota Twins in a trade for All-Star relief pitcher Matt Capps in July 2010.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)
Apparently you didn't read into my lengthy two sentences. Even if you would bring your wife and kids to the United States, how can one leave everything and everyone else behind? There's more to family than wife and kids, you can't move everyone. I'm not going to go back and forth with you.

Immediate family, to me, is more than just wife and kids. Either way, it doesn't matter. My explanation is the only foolproof way to prevent oneself or one's loved ones from being kidnapped. Any other way, you risk it. Period, end of story.

Police found the kidnappers' vehicle abandoned in a nearby town and were gathering evidence, Justice Minister Tareck El Aissami told reporters Thursday morning. He said anti-kidnapping units were dispatched to the area in central Carabobo state.

I know there are people of Middle Eastern descent throughout the world, but that still made me do a double take.

Couple of things

Most people in this situation have kidnapping insurance. Which both helps them if they are kidnapped, but also makes them targets. So while he may not have been making the coin to pay any ransom directly, he was probably earning enough or the team paid, the premiums.

There are beautiful places in Venezuela, and throughout Latin America that no one who has been there would describe as s*** holes. One of my retirement options is to Mexico to an area that has less crime than most small towns in America and far less than any American city.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 05:32 AM)
Couple of things

Most people in this situation have kidnapping insurance. Which both helps them if they are kidnapped, but also makes them targets. So while he may not have been making the coin to pay any ransom directly, he was probably earning enough or the team paid, the premiums.

There are beautiful places in Venezuela, and throughout Latin America that no one who has been there would describe as s*** holes. One of my retirement options is to Mexico to an area that has less crime than most small towns in America and far less than any American city.

Without trying to Filibuster this...

That doesn't mean there aren't terrible, terrible places within Venezuela itself. To keep my point brief: no matter the beauty of some of the country, it's not a place high on my list of places to visit. Nor is Egypt, nor is Thailand, and nor is Israel (or the Middle East itself). There are places (speaking entirely generally) within the US that 99% of Americans have not traveled to that will blow your mind too, and there is a niche for every single person.

I am absolutely not comparing. I believe Angel Falls is in Venezuela, and that is the largest waterfall in the entire world. If your thing is waterfalls, then Niagara is only going to do so much. I've been to China and have experienced The Great Wall and the Forbidden City and the Terracotta Warriors, and there is nothing to compare to that either. There is absolutely nothing that compares to that.

All I am suggesting is that these places are, to be as non-offensive as possible, not friendly places as of this current moment and that they should be on no one's tourist list without some sort of significant aid along the way.

/sorry

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Without trying to Filibuster this...

That doesn't mean there aren't terrible, terrible places within Venezuela itself. To keep my point brief: no matter the beauty of some of the country, it's not a place high on my list of places to visit. Nor is Egypt, nor is Thailand, and nor is Israel (or the Middle East itself). There are places (speaking entirely generally) within the US that 99% of Americans have not traveled to that will blow your mind too, and there is a niche for every single person.

I am absolutely not comparing. I believe Angel Falls is in Venezuela, and that is the largest waterfall in the entire world. If your thing is waterfalls, then Niagara is only going to do so much. I've been to China and have experienced The Great Wall and the Forbidden City and the Terracotta Warriors, and there is nothing to compare to that either. There is absolutely nothing that compares to that.

All I am suggesting is that these places are, to be as non-offensive as possible, not friendly places as of this current moment and that they should be on no one's tourist list without some sort of significant aid along the way.

/sorry

This is pretty much what I was saying. Obviously there are going to be beautifully scenic areas just about everywhere. I described it as a s***hole because there's a pretty damn good chance you can get kidnapped there, and I'm pretty sure that 99% of the people who read my statement knew exactly how I meant it. And the response to this post might be that someone can get kidnapped anywhere, which is of course true. But if you're wealthy in any sense, you're much, much more likely to be kidnapped in a country like Venezuela.

Oh, and I think Angels Falls is the tallest waterfall in the world. I'm not sure it compares to the massive area of Niagara.